PDA

View Full Version : steering wheel at full lock reversing slow

reggieting
06-20-2010, 02:53 PM
Do you guys get some sort of noise when the steering wheel is at full lock reversing slow. Sounds like the fender liner is rubbing up against the wheel? I looked at it and nothings rubbing, wondering if its a trans issue.

Charlie@MFQ
06-20-2010, 03:06 PM
the sound you heard could be the powersteering pump making noise. It's normal when it's full lock.

littlejap33
06-20-2010, 04:22 PM
True it could be the power steering pump

reggieting
06-20-2010, 05:43 PM
Its not a whine so its not power steering... I also tired it at half turn before full lock and makes a gurgle noise like the wheel is hitting the fender liner but i cant see anything rubbing. which leads me to believe its a trans noise.

Happens when the wheel is turned and im backing out of a parking spot. I found it weird...so i put it in first , let the clutch out slowly to go back into the parking spot and it still made the noise. Dosnt happen everytime.

STIH8TER
06-20-2010, 05:56 PM
Is this with the Evo X?

reggieting
06-20-2010, 06:19 PM
Yes with my X.

Mike W
06-20-2010, 06:46 PM
Stock wheels and tires? or big fatties?

Parked too? or moving?

Any recent work done anywhere up there?

2,000 miles or 60,000 miles?

Can you have someone else steer and you listen to get a better idea of where it comes from?

Mike W

reggieting
06-20-2010, 08:25 PM
Stock wheels and tires? or big fatties?

Parked too? or moving?

Any recent work done anywhere up there?

2,000 miles or 60,000 miles?

Can you have someone else steer and you listen to get a better idea of where it comes from?

Mike W

Slowly reversing out of a level parking spot is when i first heard it, its only happened 3 times. Ive tried turning the wheel to full lock left and right when its parked and no noise's. Completely stock including wheels and tires with 2k miles.I just got home for the weekend and ill have my buddy drive it tonight to see if i can find where the noise is coming from. Thanks Mike.

reggieting
06-20-2010, 08:30 PM
Just found this thread....
http://www.socalevo.net/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=37&topic=96666.0

Im going to drive it to south coast soon....

Update. Just drove the car for 4 miles nothing. Put it back on my drive way, turned the wheel almost full lock right, rolled down in neutral, Still made the noise.... So im confused right now. Waiting for my buddy to cruise by so i can try to pin point the noise. hope everything alright...

Mike W
06-20-2010, 11:36 PM
Sounds lithe the tire is rubbing on something then. A second person will help a lot to track it down.

Mike W

jamesinger
06-21-2010, 04:44 PM
This might sound stupid but I had the same noise when my mud guard thingy inside the wheel well started coming loose. The way it came loose was from the inside away from the front, so you had to take the wheel off to see where it had bent in. I had it fixed and then it did it again within a month. I tracked it down to the VIII Do Luck lip + 110mph run = mudguards ripping off. Your car is an X and obviously different but if you have been doing any high speed runs of over 100mph, you might have some stuff coming off under there....just a guess.

Good Luck!!

jamesinger
07-01-2010, 08:08 AM
update?

AlphaKennyBody
07-01-2010, 08:42 AM
Dude I got the same issue... Back out my garage driveway at FULL lock i hear the rubbing... like you said it's the fender lining. I just got use to not Full lock reversing haha If that makes sense...

TRUST ME i know EXACTLY whatcha talking about it bugs the hell out of me...

Ninja
01-12-2011, 10:18 PM
check this thread out, sounds like its the same problem, could be transfer case according to this thread

http://www.socalevo.net/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=37&topic=96666.0

reggieting
01-13-2011, 08:08 AM
transfer case was replaced 2 weeks ago due to seal failure. haven't noticed it since. thanks.

AlphaKennyBody
01-13-2011, 12:10 PM
Damn it... I should of called mine in before I blew mine... haha O0 Reggie for getting it fixed. but things happend for the reason there for I'm on a Stage 3 Setup all the way around from front to rear haha =) Not breaking anything anymore!

reggieting
01-13-2011, 09:11 PM
Damn it... I should of called mine in before I blew mine... haha O0 Reggie for getting it fixed. but things happend for the reason there for I'm on a Stage 3 Setup all the way around from front to rear haha =) Not breaking anything anymore!

Nah Ralphy, I had to wait for the transfer case seal to failÂ* for it to get replaced. I saw minor seepage @3k oil change and then at 13k, I smelled oil burning and saw transfer case fluid all over the place. Got the car towed to mitsu, just in case they were just going to replace the seal I didnt want to risk having a trasfer case later down the road that was ran way low on fluid. Took 1 week to get my car back up and running at the worst week Christmas-new years. haha.

Ive heard about trasfer case leak as little as 2.5kmiles. Guess I was only of the lucky ones .Â* :-\
But its all good now, they replaced the transfercase, battery and the fuel relay's :)

blkside
01-13-2011, 09:36 PM
I think I might have a TC leak also cause I smell something when I pull in my garage but Im hoping its my clutch cause my driveway is up hill and I have to pedal into the garage cause its a tight fit. We will see.. it will be sitting a while so maybe I can find a super duper beefed up TC....

Departed
01-13-2011, 11:22 PM
I think I might have a TC leak also cause I smell something when I pull in my garage but Im hoping its my clutch cause my driveway is up hill and I have to pedal into the garage cause its a tight fit. We will see.. it will be sitting a while so maybe I can find a super duper beefed up TC....

Let me know where you find them! I might need one. Don't know if I have a TC whine or just hearing the trans. Not really a whine but I'm definitely hearing something I don't know if it was there when I bought the car.