PDA

View Full Version : Evo X Walbro fuel Pump Install Issue

WhiteIXMR
06-21-2010, 12:13 PM
Can someone shed some light on the how-to on a Walbro 255 pump going into the Evo X? Changing out fuel pumps are easy as hell but the housing is smaller than the Walbro pump itself. The Walbro pump is a tad bit longer than the stock pump. Is there anyway around this to utilize the stock housing? I would prefer to not let it dangle as some people have advised.

We have checked many times on the part number and it's correct. I also searched Evo M and other sources but haven't ran across anything for a fix but instead, they offer fuel pump kits.

Anyone with an Evo X that has installed a Walbro fuel pump on their car, please chime in.

Mike W
06-21-2010, 01:08 PM
You need to either hand port the housing (without getting any swarf into the filter part) and then rig it to hold together because of the length... or use the Blaqops kit ($175 - in stock @RRE) and it makes it a pretty easy ~1 hour swap with no rigging or monkey motion. The Blaqops kit is E-85 safe too for if you ever go that way laters down the road.

Mike W

WhiteIXMR
06-21-2010, 01:14 PM
Yeah we've tried porting the housing and the pump fits on the sides but the stem part of the Walbro pump is longer than the OEM one. So even after the trimming of the housing, it still sticks out underneath and the plastic connector that clips in 3 or 4 places outside of the housing won't clip on b/c it's lifted underneath. I hope I didn't confuse you with it.

I'll ask my buddy to pick up the Blaqops kit if it has to go that route. Is it worth it to get an upgraded fuel pump on the X? Or is the stock one good enough? They're trying to get everything done before a tune so I'm checking to make sure we do it right the 1st time around.

Thanks for your assistance Mike.

Mike W
06-21-2010, 05:56 PM
The stock pump and the stock injectors seem to be a good match. Stock fuel on a X runs out of steam at about 360 whp for street use (mid to high 90% duty cycles on 91 octane) and 340-350 whp for a track car (in a perfect world you wouldnt be mashing more than ~85%ish for long periods).

For us, we usually like do injectors and a pump all at once.

For the record, Walbro 255 vs a stock EVO X pump:

http://www.roadraceengineering.com/evox/tech/fuelpump/255-stock.jpg

It is a lot of hand work to make them fit. Still, fitting them by hand was cheaper than the $300 install kits. Now with the Blaqops kit @ $175 that is a good value, especially since it makes it all E-85 safe.

Hand porting mess:

http://www.roadraceengineering.com/evox/tech/fuelpump/handporting.jpg

Blaqops Single Walbro Install Kit Instructions (.pdf)

http://www.roadraceengineering.com/evox/tech/fuelpump/blaqopsevoxspk.pdf

Mike W

WhiteIXMR
06-21-2010, 06:45 PM
haha..nice write up Mike..the pictures show exactly what we were doing this Saturday. How far did you port up into the housing? We ported the sides and the Walbro pump slipped right in but it still hangs at the bottom. How did you get all your clips to line up after putting everything back together? After everything was done, I turned it a few times to get the pump going before full turn key. Then afterwards i cranked it, the fuel pump would turn on and you can hear it since the rear seats were still out, but the car wouldn't start. I'm thinking nothing is happening on the tube that has a safety pin or clip on it.

Odd right? b/c a fuel pump install is a piece of cake after you learn it the 1st time. Once you've done one, you can do the others.

blkside
06-21-2010, 07:11 PM
Ive got the BlaqOps kit apparently now and Im sure it cant be too much work. Mike told me he put it in cause he was bored...lol
Thanks Mike for saving LOD from doing more detail work..

eLusiveGSR
06-23-2010, 05:17 PM
Hi i am that "buddy" haha. I'm going the BlaqOps route. I like the idea of "E85 Safe." Thanks Mike for your help.

Btw, I'm the guy that picked up that MXP exhaust a few weeks back. Thanks again RRE.

vicjerry007
11-21-2011, 10:22 PM
Sry guys if I have to bring this here...would this problem apply to either tuned or untuned car tow bar (http://www.carparts.com/Tow-Bars/600022634.car)? If so, would it be same fix?