PDA

View Full Version : Debate (Wheels and Suspension)

ab1stevo
07-07-2010, 08:02 AM
I just got my X at south coast. I already wanna put some wheels on it. but the the setup I want is 18X10 +18 the rims are SA-55. I know for a fact that I need to roll my fenders with these. Also in case your wondering the tires I will be using is 265/35/18. I will be dropping my car probably Eibach or H&R springs what would you recommend? I DD my car most of the time. I would like to go coils but I am not sure of how the ride will be. I had buddy club N+ on my S2 and it was a pain and harsh ride. This is my 1st Evo and I am not sure how much bumpier will it be if I went with coils. I was thinking about Tein or Apex'i coils.

Also other rims in consideration Advan RS 18x10 +25 and NT-03 18x10.5 +30 if I went with either of these wheels will I need some fender work done? I will be using 265/35/18 tires and either eibach or H&R springs. Thanks

EvoPwr
07-07-2010, 08:35 AM
Coilovers are much better than just springs. You can set-up the coils to how you want, a smooth soft ride or feel like you are driving a go-kart. There is no question about that.

As for your offset questions, I can't help you there. I would recommend contacting Muellerized, since they are a suspension shop and have set-up numerous Evo X's with a wide variety of springs, coilovers, wheels, and tires.

ab1stevo
07-07-2010, 09:38 AM
what would you guys recommend? Personally i was looking at Apexi and Tein. I mainly going for DD comfort and show. I am not planning on tracking the car. Its for looks and enjoyment.

I was convinced to go with either Eiback or H&R because of their drop more than 1" and people vouch for them, however I am just afraid that once I mount the rims I am not going to be happy. I want to do it right the first time. I learned from my other car (S2K), I went through 2 set of rims and 2 sets of suspension.

Rencii
07-07-2010, 11:40 AM
go through the show and shine section and pm people about their setups. GENERALLY for our X's, if you stay within a +20 offset or higher you're ok not needing to do any fender mods. 18x9.5+22 seems to be the best size if you want to run a beefy tire and no do any fender mod.

i just got my eibach pro kit springs installed this past weekend and i LOVE the drop. i'll be going with a wheel setup over +20 offset so i'm not too worried about fender work.

Grippy Tire
07-07-2010, 02:42 PM
The 18x10 +25 sounds like a good setup on 265/35/18 with springs.. If you start getting too aggressive you will need more camber than you can get out of the stock suspension. The +25 will probably only require a fender roll and some camber.

Although if you had coilovers you could adjust your height, the comfortability of the ride (to an extent) and add more camber (assuming you bought some with adjustable camber plates).. I personally decided on coilovers due to being to damn picky about everything that way I can do adjustments.. Ive adjusted the coilovers many many times because I had changed wheels setups. A lot of it comes down to how much money you have to spend and how much your willing to do to fit the setup.

-Geo

jamesinger
07-08-2010, 11:24 AM
Buddy Club N+ Dampers on Hondas in general are brutal. I had some on a civic coupe and even at full soft, it felt like riding a skateboard down a hill on my knees.

This has also left me scared of using coilovers on an EVO or any other car for that matter. However, most people with coilovers on an EVO will tell you that it is a different ball game with these cars and now I have driven and driven in some EVOs with coilovers, so I can see that it is a big difference ESPECIALLY when the coilovers are set up for you.

I recommend calling Muellerized... if you are in the general OC area. The reason I recommend them beyond their wide fan base is because they will work with you on your specific set up and tailor the suspension to how you want it. I have been saving up for a while now trying to decide on what set up to go with but I think it is worth the cash to get your suspension custom tuned after riding on out of the box Buddy Club N+ dampers and hating life for a year.