PDA

View Full Version : In Gear, off throttle noise in 2nd-5th gear

I like to Smash
07-07-2010, 01:00 PM
Noticed this as i turned off my radio and drove on the freeway with the windows rolled up.

in 4th and 5th gear, there is a constant grinding, rattling sound coming from either underneath me or engine bay. The noise comes as im off throttle, then onto throttle the noise goes away. Im leaning towards the tranny but clueless on what would me making this noise. im sure it happens in 2nd and 3rd as well, just not as loud.

anyone???? please speak your mind.

silvrEVOIXn818
07-07-2010, 01:19 PM
Noticed this as i turned off my radio and drove on the freeway with the windows rolled up.

in 4th and 5th gear, there is a constant grinding, rattling sound coming from either underneath me or engine bay. The noise comes as im off throttle, then onto throttle the noise goes away. Im leaning towards the tranny but clueless on what would me making this noise. im sure it happens in 2nd and 3rd as well, just not as loud.

sounds to me like your DP is touching one of your tie bars.Â* Â*and u need some spacers...

I like to Smash
07-07-2010, 04:19 PM

sounds to me like your DP is touching one of your tie bars.Â* Â*and u need some spacers...

Everything is stock on the car, except my catback.

This noise came along, was never like this. Sounds almost like the drivetrain, off throttle.

enVmyIX
07-08-2010, 09:04 AM
How many miles on the car? It could be drive shaft slack, which I've been told is normal as you get into the 55K+ miles. Does it kinda sound like your tire is rubbing on something? and its more prevalent in higher rpm's.

I like to Smash
07-08-2010, 09:50 AM
How many miles on the car? It could be drive shaft slack, which I've been told is normal as you get into the 55K+ miles. Does it kinda sound like your tire is rubbing on something? and its more prevalent in higher rpm's.

its more of a meshing/grinding sound OFF throttle. It seems to be more noticeable on the freeways driving with the windows rolled up. Again, it happens off throttle.

My car has 24k on it. Tire rubbing sound, maybe but its more of a rattle, grinding noise.

I like to Smash
10-19-2010, 04:28 PM
FIXED, it was the RRE catback mated to my stock cat. Apparently it was made to fit with a test pipe :(