PDA

View Full Version : ??? about Cam Install and Difference between Evomoto Install and RRE Vid

richie71
07-11-2010, 12:34 AM
So have some cams coming in reading up as much as possible to attempt the install. So the two main sources for my cam research have been the rre vid http://forums.evolutionm.net/evo-how-tos-installations/303600-cam-gear-camshaft-install-vid.html and the Evo moto step by step installation http://www.evomoto.com/tech_articles.php?tech_article_id=18. Watching the video a couple times it seems it gets easier and easier when i play it back in my head. When i read up on the evo moto how to it screws it all up. The reason being because 1st it seems that the pictures are out of wack to what they are describing to what is actually being done and then its step 12,13,14. Something about "push the allen key, drill bit, etc. through to hold the tensioner open. Once the tension is released from the belt, push the serpentine belt off of the water pump pulley towards the fender (ie. away from the timing belt cover), then get up top and look for your timing chart and crank timing mark" No where are these steps mention in the video. So my question is are these steps necessary if you do not have the tensionor tool, which i do have on or are they just optional. So for the people who have installed there own cams which method did you use or instructions you followed???? Any input will help

thanks

scumbee
07-12-2010, 01:21 PM
yeah the evo moto write up are all screwed up :/ everything is out of place. im in the same boat good luck to you

Mike W
07-12-2010, 01:38 PM
So where do you live? Far from the shop? If you have any doubts, stop by the shop and check out some naked motors and be certain in what you will be doing.

Mike W

HMatt
07-13-2010, 07:43 PM
I used the RRE vid the first time I did mine... And everything came out fine. Granted I had changed a couple timing belts in dsm's before that, so I had an idea what to expect. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't anything special with the evo.

You can go get a piece of threaded stock from fastenall (m8x1.25 if I remember correctly) and use that instead of a tensioner tool. Just make sure you only use it once, and just screw it in until you get enough slack in the belt. If you wrench down on it like an idiot, you will break or bend it off in your motor, and that's never fun.

I'm just saying, spending $8 on a piece of threaded stock that you can make 3 tensioner tools with; then, using it and just having to remove the valve cover and upper timing belt cover is a HELL of a lot easier than having to pull off a wheel and, inner fender, accessory belt, and lower timing cover too.

richie71
07-13-2010, 07:57 PM
Mike W: Thanks for the offer but fortunately got an evo head at my work that i have been analyzing, but the anticipation for the cams to arrive is killing me.

Yeah think i decided i will just go on ahead using the vid, and maybe referring back to the evo moto write up. Just wanted to confirm that someone else has just use the vid and have had good results thanks HMatt