PDA

View Full Version : looking for a how to: install thule roof rack on evo

ev0lution
07-12-2010, 01:43 PM
im looking for a how to for installing a roof rack on an evo 9 gsr, the rack is a thule and i have all the pieces assembled.

ev0lution
07-12-2010, 03:12 PM
anyone?

evo8kid
07-12-2010, 03:14 PM
tried to find something on this topic couldnt though...

Skiracer
07-12-2010, 04:44 PM
Do you have the clips that install into the OEM roof rack clips under the weatherstripping on the roof. Or does yours clip into the doors?

If you have the one that installs onto the OEM roof rack clips, rub your finger underneath the weatherstripping on the roof and you will feel a steel "slot".Â* Remove the clips from the rack assembly and slide the clips onto this steel slot and do this for both sides.Â* Â*Make sure you slide it from the front to the back so the stopping points on the clip face towards the front of the car so the wind doesn't accidentally cause them to slide out.

Next, align the rack assembly between the clips and rest it on the roof.Â* Then screw each side down loosely and slightly tighten each side until its tightened down evenly on the trunk. Don't over tighten or its going to put a dent on your roof.Â* Should look like this when done:

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee20/skiracer123/Evo%20IX/115-1569_IMG.jpg

ev0lution
07-12-2010, 04:53 PM
Do you have the clips that install into the OEM roof rack clips under the weatherstripping on the roof. Or does yours clip into the doors?

If you have the one that installs onto the OEM roof rack clips, rub your finger underneath the weatherstripping on the roof and you will feel a steel "slot".Â* Remove the clips from the rack assembly and slide the clips onto this steel slot and do this for both sides.Â* Â*Make sure you slide it from the front to the back so the stopping points on the clip face towards the front of the car so the wind doesn't accidentally cause them to slide out.

Next, align the rack assembly between the clips and rest it on the roof.Â* Then screw each side down loosely and slightly tighten each side until its tightened down evenly on the trunk. Don't over tighten or its going to put a dent on your roof.Â* Should look like this when done:

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee20/skiracer123/Evo%20IX/115-1569_IMG.jpg

i have the thule fit clips that attach to the roof, i'm assuming the attach into the same spot as the picture, so are you saying to only take off the part that you have to screw in? then put that on there? wont you need like 4 people doing this to bring the rack above the car and put it on? and once the clips are in you just screw it into the qtowers? i have two bike racks on it, think i can leave them on while installing?

ev0lution
07-12-2010, 04:54 PM
also, did you attach the fairing before or after you put it on the car? if before, how do you know exactly where to clip it?

ev0lution
07-12-2010, 04:56 PM
Make sure you slide it from the front to the back so the stopping points on the clip face towards the front of the car so the wind doesn't accidentally cause them to slide out.

what did you mean by slide it from front to back? once its in the oem mounting point you have to move it towards the front of the car?

Skiracer
07-12-2010, 06:12 PM
PM me your phone# and i'll explain to you. Easier to explain that type it all out...