PDA

View Full Version : Calling All Cam Experts!

Boost_Addict_88
08-02-2010, 08:12 PM
Ok, so back in late December I had a buddy help me drop a motor into my 1G to get him running till I got a new motor built. After getting everything legit, we fired him up and at the motor everything sounded great, but at the exhaust there seemed to be a lumpy idle like there were cams underhood. As far as my buddy and I knew, the motor was completly stock. On my way home, I boosted the Turbo and it seemed to spool faster then usual (Small 16G). Now that I almost have all of the parts to piece my motor together, I would like to use these cams, but unfortunately I do not know what brand or "size" they are. I believe they are 272's though.

I pulled the valve cover off today and here's what I found.

The numbers 04 on my intake and 13 on exhaust.

On my stock cams they read "8" and "2" on both cams and have the letter "D" on the trans side and "F" with 4 dots to the right on the timing side. My exhaust side also has "1" and "2" (under "1") on the trans side.

If anyone can help, it would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Mike W
08-02-2010, 08:39 PM
From what I can read is that you thinkyou have stock cams but suspect that you have some special other stock cams maybe because of the way it runs?

Probably more likely the cams are not installed right. Mitsubishi made a bunch of different stock spec cams over the years for DSMs. But none were so much of a difference that you'd see anything on the butt dyno or to hear a difference.

You or someone that knows such things need to confirm that they are installed lined up correctly. Put the motor at TDC #1 and check that the two alignment marks at the center where the cams are close (ignore the outer marks) are dead straight through the center line of the cam bolts. Use a straight edge.

Mike W

Boost_Addict_88
08-02-2010, 09:09 PM
The stock cams from my other head are not installed. I pulled them from the basement to compare the two sets. Nothing indicates (marking wise) that the installed mystery cams are Mitsubishi cams, which leads me to believe they are aftermarket. I haven't had any issues with these cams or head or anything, but the characteristics lead me to believe they are 272's or similiar.

HMatt
08-05-2010, 06:06 AM
Most aftermarket cams I have seen at LEAST have a manufacturer name on them somewhere. You probalby just have them a tooth off somewhere.

fmedgsx
08-28-2010, 10:46 PM
If they were after market they would most likely have some sort of etching in them to identify them. otherwise as stated above they could be a mismatched set of mitsu cams. what is the idle set at?