PDA

View Full Version : Balance Shaft

Abdizzle
09-14-2010, 07:05 PM
Was wondering how much you guys would charge to properly align the balance shaft on an Evo 8? I just got my timing belt done and noticed the motor revs "rough" sorta 350Z/G35 like and the vibration gets a lot worse above 4-5K RPM.

I searched and found a thread with a diagram involving the access hole under the turbo to insert a screw driver and did just that today. It seemed to get stuck as soon as it went in, tried various sized screw drivers and only a extremely thin one at a 45 degree angle would go in. I took my car back to the shop and they said my car doesn't have a balance shaft associated with the oil pump sprocket and that it's in time with no issues so obviously they have no idea what they're talking about.

Anyway how much would it cost and would I be able to pick it up same day due to living in SD?

Thanks

Mike W
09-14-2010, 07:13 PM
It could be done while you wait. Probably about $225 for the labor if that is all it needs. Everything else that they touched needs to be double checked if they dont know about the proper clocking of that pulley, probably other stuff they are clueless about too. This week is a bit booked up. After the weekend? Monday ok?

Mike W

Abdizzle
09-14-2010, 09:54 PM
Yeah Monday works for me. I'm gonna take that bolt out one more time to double check that the balance shaft is the cause of the roughness/vibration. These guys said it's my transfer case (?) as the cause which raised an eye brow. I took the cam cover off and turned the motor to TDC and proceeded to check that hole. I also had 3 other people insert the screw driver since space is tight and just wanted to make sure I'm not delusional. They also stated that the passage was blocked.

A lot of people told me to do it myself via zip tying the belt onto the cam gears and releasing the oil pump sprocket to see which way it spins but I don't wanna risk messing anything up.

I already spent a lot of money on the 60K service I just don't wanna blow more on this if it's not the problem. I'm gonna get under the car tomorrow and just double and triple check and I'll get back to you so we can arrange a time that works for you guys.

EDIT: Everything else lines up fine, I checked all the marks and have also driven it for around 500 miles with no issue.

stormbird
09-14-2010, 10:03 PM
Just take it to Mike & the gang. That way you won't have to worry about it. Piece of mind is worth it. You'll become a RoadRace regular for sure. O0 They've been the only ones working on my stuff for years.

Abdizzle
09-15-2010, 08:40 PM
Yeah I checked again and I'm still unsure what's what with that stupid access hole. There is so little room in there I can't judge if it's 100% getting stuck or what when I insert the screw driver.

Either way I'm just gonna bring it up there on Monday so that I can at least eliminate that as one of the potential problems. Early the better for me Mike just name a time and I'll be there.