PDA

View Full Version : How Wide is Too Wide?

Rencii
09-30-2010, 10:41 AM
question is pretty up front. I see guys daily driving 10.5's width wheels with 275, 285 wide rubber, but how does this affect DD'ing ability compared to stock width tire and wheels? You guys who are slammed to the ground with the 10.5's +15 and running 265's, has your turning radius been changed much?

I'm just curious as i have a set of 18x10 +25 Advan RZ's sitting in my living room waiting for tires and i wanted to know what to expect when i put them on =)

kambodianboi
09-30-2010, 10:46 AM
Ask AZIAN... Freaking mofo driving 18x?? with 275 as a daily..

Brand0n
09-30-2010, 10:48 AM
To wide....
http://richmondcountyrebels.com/wp-content/uploads/fat-chick1.jpg

Rencii
09-30-2010, 10:50 AM
^^ somehow i knew that was gonna pop up sooner or later ahha

Rencii
09-30-2010, 10:51 AM
oh and i'm driving a X btw... lowered on Eibachs

Mister
09-30-2010, 11:03 AM
Check the Hellaflush website.......thats how you know when.

Evolutionized
09-30-2010, 11:12 AM
thats a weak set up for an X well not weak but you could def go way more aggressive then that on a 10.

i know people running that set up on there IX

FUEL
09-30-2010, 11:12 AM
If your car is set up properly and the suspension is able to function PROPERLY and go through the full motion of travel you should be ok with 275 or 285 tires. You will most likely need some fender rolling. Â*Every wheel/tire set up can be a bit different. You're obviously not going to get the range of motion on Eibachs as you would with properly set up coilovers.
Â*You should not have any rubbing or hitting of any parts of the suspension or tires on the car. The tires should ONLY have contact with the pavement not parts of your Evo! And if you have to add spacers to make your wheel/tire combo work... that just isn't a wheel for an Evo.
Â*Contact a suspension person who knows what they are doing and you can take the guess work out of putting wheels and tires on your car and keep your Evo handling as good or better then stock.
Â* You mentioned "Slammed Evo's" .... they handle horribly.

evobros
09-30-2010, 11:21 AM
Cyber and hks evos r slammed and they handle way better then any other out there ;).. I know u guys r going to say it's a race car blah blah blah and they don't drive those car in the streets but still u can't say slammed evos don't handle well!! But anyways u should be ok with 275 especially with that offset

Rencii
09-30-2010, 11:46 AM
Ok thanks for the replies guys, but no one has really answered my question directly. I understand there might be a need to do fender modification if i get too wide a rubber, but what i'm wondering about is how will installing a 10inch wheel with 265 or 285 rubber affect turning radius or any other tasks while driving? First hand knowledge would be appreciated. I'll probably be asking this aroudn the Sonics meet tonight too =P

kambodianboi
09-30-2010, 11:49 AM
Turn radius wont be great affect, depending on camber. Best to ask some suspension people on that.

evobros
09-30-2010, 11:53 AM
Fender work is a must.. And it's shouldn't be a problem

Rencii
09-30-2010, 11:55 AM
cool thanks guys =)

hellgunner
09-30-2010, 12:38 PM
To wide....
http://richmondcountyrebels.com/wp-content/uploads/fat-chick1.jpg

fuuuuk

hahaha

AlphaKennyBody
09-30-2010, 12:49 PM
Evo X with 18x10's is equivalent to Evo 8/9 running 18x9.5's

I find it really pointless as a Daily to be rocking 275's+ tires. Seriously lame as most track/RACE cars dont even go that wide.

And the Comment regarding SLAMMED evos... Wasn't there an evo at the American Touge lap the same if not 1-2 sec slower than the fastest evo out there? I'm sure there's a HANDFUL of JDM evos that are "too low" for some of the suspension guru's on here.

It's all about Trial and Error and Each driver drives their evo to their liking... Not because someone else says "Oh I did this to my evo with this setting... you'll be fast... "

evobros
09-30-2010, 12:51 PM
Ohh yeah Srry Sierra Sierra Evo ^^

Drifting Away
09-30-2010, 12:58 PM
The Sierra sierra Evo is an outright beast...

Rencii
09-30-2010, 01:07 PM
http://speedhunters.com/archive/2009/07/22/archive-gt-gt-evo-amp-impreza-heroes.aspx

something interesting i found while looking for pictures of the Sierra Sierra Evo. A number of them are "slammed".

Drifting Away
09-30-2010, 01:08 PM
Id say the width has everything to do what what type of driving you plan on doing.

R-EVOLUTION
09-30-2010, 01:18 PM
Most of them are slammed,
I'm still thinking about lowering mine, Most people that have seen my Evo say lower it a lil but then that goes into functionality, hitting all over the place and having to enter and exit all drive ways at insane angles.. They way my height is even with a full Evo I have decent amount of clearance....So I think I will keep it how it is for now...

I have 18x9.5 +27 with 255/35 tire

Drifting Away
09-30-2010, 01:21 PM
Yea , if it came down to looking (hellaflush) or parking in my driveway safely after work it be parking lol

AlphaKennyBody
09-30-2010, 01:30 PM
Well I dont mean Slammed like Tire tucking with like 5+ Degree camber hahaha.

SSE is Hella Dropped haha and they're just Beastly at the track.

And if not mistaken... Cyber evo likes to run their race car no bigger than a 265 and ocasionaly 245/255 depending on what wheel setup and tire they're using.... Correct me if I'm wrong.

Azian
09-30-2010, 01:41 PM
I would say a 18X9.5 +15 or +22 with a 265/35/18 on a Evo X would be a nice set up for DDing and tracking :)

or perhaps a 18X10.5 +30 nt03 with some 275's would be a nice set up IMO as well :grin:

I'm currently running 275's with 18X9.5 on my Evo IX and with some more camber and front fender work I could probably make them fit properly for track events.

-more camber
-wide fenders or the evodave fender mod
-removal of fender liner because the tires rub against them

but that's for a IX for a Evo X my set up would be fairly easy

Drifting Away
09-30-2010, 01:47 PM
275's did your paint chip from the rolling?

Mister
09-30-2010, 01:50 PM
^Mine chipped....except I don't cry about the little things like that.
Comes with the territory of having 275's under stock fenders

Drifting Away
09-30-2010, 01:51 PM
true statement

Azian
09-30-2010, 01:51 PM
275's did your paint chip from the rolling?
from the shop who did them the first time yeah but I went to someone else because the first shop did a shitty job and that person wouldn't have cracked the paint if I just to him from the get go

Drifting Away
09-30-2010, 01:52 PM
how does it ride, i would come up and see but well you know...

Azian
09-30-2010, 01:54 PM
the fenders are almost flat but like mister said I'm not really complaining/crying about the chipping if it rusts OH WELL haha I'm gonna go widebody someday so that part of the fender is gonna get cut off eventually.......

FUEL
09-30-2010, 01:56 PM
Cyber and hks evos r slammed and they handle way better then any other out there ;).. I know u guys r going to say it's a race car blah blah blah and they don't drive those car in the streets but still u can't say slammed evos don't handle well!!Â* Â*But anyways u should be ok with 275 especially with that offset
[quote]

He asked for a DD set up..... The cars you specified are full blown track cars with suspension, professional drivers, coilovers and I'm sure chassis mods. His car is on Eibachs and an X to boot. Â*

To the OP..... You will be fine WITH that setup and fender rolling. It should not effect your turning radius etc. Â*Again contact a competent suspension shop for the correct info. There's a lot of misinformation on forums and at meets.

Just giving my .02..... And from my experience.... Tracking, talking, and learning from one of the best suspension guys in SCE FOR Evo's. :)

kambodianboi
09-30-2010, 02:05 PM
the fenders are almost flat but like mister said I'm not really complaining/crying about the chipping if it rusts OH WELL haha I'm gonna go widebody someday so that part of the fender is gonna get cut off eventually.......
Mr Fawking Baller...

Most fender work I see aren't perfect, but then again its just some minor stuff. If I go wide, I'll trim my fender. Or like what some people do on the S2Ki forum, they roll out the fender and gain 5mm length.

TastyMeatball
10-01-2010, 10:50 AM
http://ssr-wheels.com/images/typef/gallery/4.jpg

a set of SSR type f's would be sick on a slammed X. 10.5 all around makes everybody happy.. :D

thekhmer
10-01-2010, 01:54 PM
turning radius sucks on the x period..well evos in general so regardless..dd is fine..just take your time with things..you should check out my set up

jamesinger
10-01-2010, 03:07 PM
I just saw an EVO X on 18x9.5 +22s TE37s at the car wash today. I didn't bend down to look at his tires because I didn't want him to see me dorkin' but I did ask what the specs were on his wheels. Simple set up, on the MR Bilsteins and Eibachs. No other mods.

Dude actually got his EVO at Glendale and the Springs/wheels at The Tire Rack down the street. He isn't interested in forums or other EVO people but he was cool. Armenian dude from Glendale.

I felt this is a great DD set up. No scrapin or nothing. Just IMO for DD on Eibachs. You won't break necks at the next Hella Flush meet but you will enjoy your car with a beautiful set up. If I had an X, that would be something I would run personally. Those TEs almost seem made for the X.

The guy's set up was HELLA Clean!! Haha.

GL. Post pics when you get what you end up getting!!

GokuSSJ4
10-02-2010, 08:33 AM
It's not a question of just width but off set as well. Some people love to run aggressive off set no matter what the consequences might be (hitting suspension parts, body panels, suspension suffering due to the limitations the wheels and tires provide).
A 18x10 or 10.5 on a X isn't an issue.
Is the off set some folks try to get away with would be your main concern. Anything below a +22 off set on a wide wheel and over a 275 tire is going to be a bit more then a challenge and how far are u willing to go in order for it to fit properly on your X.

christoph562
10-02-2010, 07:31 PM
i cut my rear fenders when i put my r888's on..

255/35/18

nto3 18x9.5

on megan tracks

nick198867
10-07-2010, 04:00 PM
i think 265 is good enough 275 you might rub your inner fender so much

The Jake
10-07-2010, 04:19 PM
Cyber and hks evos r slammed and they handle way better then any other out there ;).. I know u guys r going to say it's a race car blah blah blah and they don't drive those car in the streets but still u can't say slammed evos don't handle well!! But anyways u should be ok with 275 especially with that offset
The thing with the HKS and Cyber Evos is that they are race cars. And most race cars have their unibody suspension mounting points moved further up into the chassis. That type of modification allows the car to be lowered to the floor without sacrificing suspension travel. Its all for the sake of keeping suspension geometry in spec.

The Strut set-up in the Evo is really a poor design and not the most ideal setup for a sports car. It is mostly used because of ease of assembly, engineering, and low cost. It works though. You just have to keep certain settings within their limit and work around the strut setups drawbacks.

You ever see a fast time attack cars plow through chicanes at the track on a hot lap trying to cut their time down? Trust me, if the HKS/Cyber Evo were just simply dumped they would have no suspension travel to be able to do what they do in the way that they do it.

A car needs proper suspension travel in order to work correctly.Â* I want to see an Evo dumped to the floor go with me to Malibu and run fast through some of the fucked up roads that are up there. Between all the horrible road surface condition in areas, sudden elevation changes, and on/off camber corners with nasty mid corner bumps I would expect to see a wrecked Evo. Or one that limped around slowly and made it back, lol.

Its not quite that easy to try and rationalize these types of things when comparing a street car to a race car. It just doesn't work that way.

question is pretty up front. I see guys daily driving 10.5's width wheels with 275, 285 wide rubber, but how does this affect DD'ing ability compared to stock width tire and wheels? You guys who are slammed to the ground with the 10.5's +15 and running 265's, has your turning radius been changed much?

I'm just curious as i have a set of 18x10 +25 Advan RZ's sitting in my living room waiting for tires and i wanted to know what to expect when i put them on =)
On my X I have a 275/40/18 Nitto NT-01 on 18x10.5 Enkei NT-03 +M in +30 offset. Doesn't affect daily drivability much really. It does have slight rubbing under very high steering angles. But I believe most of that rubbing is due to me choosing to run such a tall profile tire. With a 30 or 35 series tire I believe the rubbing would stop.

Also, this is goig to depend on wheel offset and width along with how well you can clearance all your body panels.

Its just part of the game when running a big tire/wheel set-up.

evobros
10-07-2010, 04:25 PM
The thing with the HKS and Cyber Evos is that they are race cars. and most race cars have the unibody suspension mounting points moved further up into the chassis. That allows the car to be lowered to the floor without sacrificing suspension travel.

You ever see a fast time attack cars plow through chicanes at the track on a hot lap trying to cut their time down? Trust me, if the HKS/Cyber Evo were just simply dumped they would have no suspension travel to be able to do what they do in the way that they do it.

A car needs proper suspension travel in order to work correctly. I want to see an Evo dumped to the floor go with me to Malibu and run fast through some of the fucked up roads that are up there. Between all the horrible road surface condition in areas, sudden elevation changes, and on/off camber corners with nasty mid corner bumps I would expect to see a wrecked Evo. Or one that limped around slowly and made it back, lol.

Its not quite that easy to try and rationalize these types of things when comparing a street car to a race car. It just doesn't work that way.

clam down alex.. ur sounding more and more like THEM!!!

The Jake
10-07-2010, 04:38 PM
I wasn't lecturing you Nester. You relax, lol!

evobros
10-07-2010, 04:40 PM
I wasn't lecturing you Nester. You relax, lol!

i :smitten: u ;) :2funny:

AlphaKennyBody
10-08-2010, 12:20 AM
Alex... I'm sure we're not talking about DUMPED like that black Hella flush car.... and we're not talking about stuffing the rims up in the wheel wall. Of course We all know about Suspension travel and so on but from what my stand point was is that just be cause the car is lowered more than your average Joe doesn't mean it's not going to handle....

Again, In one of the episodes of American Togue maybe Number 2..... They had an evo that was claimed by the driver and commenter that the evo was much lower than usual....

However, in results with proper setup the car lapped I believe 3 fastest evo which among the cars was the Muellerized car. I just saying... Some might be thinking to much of the word DUMPED....

I also agree that a SLAMMED-DUMPED evo will handle like garage or to MYYYYYY likely but to each their own....

Some of the RACE cars are NOT unibodied and sit low... however some say it's the look to the Aero Kit makes the car sit lower than it really does who knows. That's just my .02

Nactos
10-09-2010, 06:12 PM
so on tanabe springs.. with 18x10.5 +15 with 275 35 should be ok with no rubbing as long as the rear fender gets rolled?

kandyredcoi
10-10-2010, 11:08 PM
so on tanabe springs.. with 18x10.5 +15 with 275 35 should be ok with no rubbing as long as the rear fender gets rolled?

i need to know this as well

evobros
10-10-2010, 11:19 PM

i dont so!!! i have a buddy with a X running a 18x10.5+30 on 275 nto1s on stock suspension and fender work. but +15 is a diff thing!

Rencii
10-11-2010, 08:29 AM
So i got my advans on last friday... shit took 4 hours for me to mount them at work because they're so fkn wide. Whoever you get to mount your wide ass tires and wheels, be sure to tip them well if they don't scratch up your wheels cuz it's quite the task.

anyways at 18x10 +25 with a 265/35R18 tire, there was no rubbing except very slightly at Full turn lock in any direction for the fronts. At a 18x10.5 +15 i can almost guarantee it'll rub on the fenders, especially with a 275 wide tire.

EvoBaja
10-12-2010, 10:28 AM
you go too wide your creating more drag and more resistence to your rolling force...

question is do u want to fly around turns or maintain a good level of acceleration

The0ne
10-17-2010, 09:27 AM
So on stock wheels, what's the widest I can go? 265/35-18 ok? I'm about to order some.

kandyredcoi
10-17-2010, 09:40 AM
What offset should I run? I want to run 18x10 wheels on 275-35-18tires

Rencii
10-17-2010, 10:56 AM
^^ depends on what suspension you're running and how low you want to go. Stock height i think you should be ok LOL

Rencii
10-17-2010, 10:57 AM
So on stock wheels, what's the widest I can go? 265/35-18 ok? I'm about to order some.

going on stock wheels will make the 265's run taller due to deflection on a 8.5inch wheel. again, depends on what ride height you're wanting to run.

kandyredcoi
10-17-2010, 11:58 AM
I will be lowered on tein ss, hoping for No fender gap 1finger max :)

^^ depends on what suspension you're running and how low you want to go. Stock height i think you should be ok LOL

The0ne
10-17-2010, 10:16 PM
Just stock height on 08 GSR. Need confident confirmation if possible guys :) Tomorrow might be the day. I love 265/35 but won't run them if they change anything. Thanks!

JayDub514
10-18-2010, 10:39 AM
Just stock height on 08 GSR. Need confident confirmation if possible guys :) Tomorrow might be the day. I love 265/35 but won't run them if they change anything. Thanks!

Stock height you'll be fine. No rubbing.

The0ne
10-18-2010, 01:11 PM

Stock height you'll be fine. No rubbing.

Thanks for the reply. I went ahead and ordered them last night. Continental DWS.

STIH8TER
10-18-2010, 01:19 PM
I've got 10.5's +15 with 265's. Dropped it just a bit so i still have clearance to get out of the driveways. The reason why I did not drop all the way is because i have mudflaps on. And its really annoying having your ride dropped in california roads. IMO. Unless you are running in the tracks you really dont need to go that low. Oh and don't just go on springs, get coilovers for your ride. its the best mod to get if you are going canyon running or just love going through corners. As for turning radius.... the evo sucks at that in the first place. I did not find any difference when I had have them.