PDA

View Full Version : 4th gear rattle 50+ mph

hyper
09-30-2010, 05:00 PM
Hi, I was wondering if anybody has this problem. When I was on the freeway, I was in 4th gear and I gassed it until I was going 60 mph and I began to hear this rattle. It sounds like its coming from the shifter area. It's only my 4th gear that does this. When i change gears to 5th gear, the sound goes away. And I never heard the sound in 3rd gear. I just started to notice this sound after I changed my transmission oil to Redline MT-90. I have the AMS underhood shifter bushings, but I don't remember hearing the sound at all. Anybody have any ideas or solutions?

FUEL
10-01-2010, 02:43 PM
I have the problem. I have no underhood bushings and it makes the rattle. I took it in once to SCM. I was told they would need to take apart the center section. The service guy informed me they know the "issue" and how to "fix it"..... I just didn't want to wait.... I would have had to leave the car there all day.

hyper
10-02-2010, 12:00 AM
Oh, do you think it would be harmful to leave it? Did you end up trying to fix it? How long have you had it for? I'm not sure how long I had it, but I never noticed it until the day I made this thread. Maybe it's because I always drive with my windows down or music on.

popdakebin
10-02-2010, 10:52 AM
Get it fixed. I don't have the problem, but you never know if it would get worse or result in a bigger problem.

FUEL
10-02-2010, 02:47 PM
It wouldn't be harmful to fix... I just didn't want to be stranded @ the dealer all day :buck2:

kimber_94806
10-02-2010, 04:40 PM
I had this problem when i got the care last year and got "accidentally" fixed by SCM. They checked it out after I told them that it was the left shifter cable that was buzzing at the same gear and speed like you guys. We confirmed and did a test drive with the center console out . I insisted that maybe the cables are loose or something and wanted it warranted out since I have that option anyway.

However, Mitsu corporate stopped my mechanic since there is no concrete evidence that the cables are the defective part. At that point the cables had been disassebled already so my mechanic just had to put them back. There were some solutions suggested that should dampen the vibration out in the center console but all seemed "mickey mouse" to me including the ones on EVOM.

So I decided to just live with it BUT on the way home the buzz was suddenly gone even up to this date. The only thing I can remember and what my mechanic told me is that he disassembled those cables and basically just put them back on. He did greased my aftermarket shifter bushings as well since he saw that they were really dry. Again there is no concrete solution to this problem but I want to share with you my experience with the "accidental" solutions that were done. Hope this helps.