PDA

View Full Version : Clutch noise

4g63IX
10-23-2010, 11:24 PM
Tonight, a familiar sound started to happen with my cluch.Â* Here is a little background:
Over a year ago, I installed a ACT HD-SS clutch and LW flywheel.Â* After about 2K miles, I got a lot of bucking when starting of in gear.Â* I thought it might be hotspots on the disk or warped.Â* Not long after, I started to get a loud screech from the clutch and some small vibration in the pedal.Â* Found out that two of the bell housing bolts stretched and backed out, causing a gap/seperation in the housing.Â* Neeedless to say, the clutch grenaded, but the flywheel was still in great condition.Â* I had a new ACT HD-SS put in 10K miles ago, with zero problems at all.Â* Well tonight, I got the screeching again all of a sudden, without the pre warning bucking from last time.Â* It happens when starting off slowly front/reverse, but once moving good, no sound.Â* I took a sound clip and hopefully someone might know what it is, since it is not the bell housing this time (I checked it over good and no fluid leaking).Â* Car is 06 IX GSR w/42K.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nU-0zwnkb8I

Monstergarage
10-24-2010, 12:46 AM
is the noise noticeable when the car is moving?

it sound like metal with metal rubbing.

kambodianboi
10-24-2010, 01:16 AM
Sounds like something is rubbing.

4g63IX
10-24-2010, 09:50 AM
I tried not to move the car much, but when first starting move, it will make the sound.Â* That video was from slowly moving forward and then backward.Â* Also, in neutral and press/release the clutch pedal, there is a certain point where I can feel/hear the rubbing sound about half way through pedal travel. Then, it goes away closer to full depresed and full released. Hope that makes sense!

jamesinger
10-24-2010, 09:13 PM
Sorry if this isn't helpful but if my car was making this noise, it would be on a flatbed driving towards RRE. Â*I am getting Ok at working on my EVO but that sounds bad and scary and not normal or something that could be fixed without a lift and some air tools...but that is just my opinion. Â*Good Luck! Â*I hope it works out for you in the end.

400whp350wtq
10-24-2010, 09:19 PM
^^agreed

4g63IX
10-25-2010, 02:14 AM
Oh believe me, when I first heard the sound, I called for a flatbed low boy truck and had it towed from El Segundo to my house. I am going to Seattle for a funeral on Tues, so I plan to have it towed to RRE when I get back. I had to drive it for a second, to get it parked in my spot though. I am starting to think, it might be the TOB or the retaining clip for it. All the gears engage no problem, no clutch drag and no drivability issues except the sound and the pedal feel. Sooooo, hoping it is just the TOB.

4g63IX
11-04-2010, 06:39 PM
Well, had my car fladbedded to RRE today and got to meet some of the staff for the first time. Sam is a great guy and knows his sh*t!
It turned out to be a bad install on the clutch before. The disk separated, caused from a bend on the disk. Sam said, it usually happens when the install shop, leaves it hanging and causes the disk to bend during install. Good news is, only the disk needs to be replaced and should be good to go! Should be done tomorrow and daym they work fast and have cheap prices!!!!!
Next, tune and MBC in cabin install! Can't wait!

jamesinger
11-05-2010, 03:40 PM
Well, had my car fladbedded to RRE today and got to meet some of the staff for the first time. Sam is a great guy and knows his sh*t!
It turned out to be a bad install on the clutch before. The disk separated, caused from a bend on the disk. Sam said, it usually happens when the install shop, leaves it hanging and causes the disk to bend during install. Good news is, only the disk needs to be replaced and should be good to go! Should be done tomorrow and daym they work fast and have cheap prices!!!!!
Next, tune and MBC in cabin install! Can't wait!

Congratulations RRE FTMFW!!!

When you see Sam next time, ask for the "talon discount" and then make a talon sign with 3 fingers to him. It is a secret though, don't tell anyone else.

4g63IX
11-05-2010, 07:08 PM
Haha, ok will do!
Talked to them again today. They said, one of the hub springs, broke and separated from the disk hub. So, it probably wasn't from a bent disk or a bad install. They asked if I did a lot of hill driving in HI, or aggressive downshifting from high RPMs.
I pretty much baby the car, never launched it, don't drag or dump the clutch. Always slip the clutch and only auto-x the car. This clutch has only seen one auto-x before. This is the second disk, to have this problem from ACT. I know it isn't my driving style, since the OE disk still looked good when it was pulled and still had about 30% life on it. So, if any disk springs would have broke, I think the OE would have, over the ACT ones. Called ACT todayand they said to send them pics of both disks (which I have) and they will let me know.

4g63IX
11-05-2010, 11:42 PM
Sorry for so many posts here and not trying to post whore it up ;)
Just wanted to say, got the car back from RRE tonight and daym!
The clutch shifts so smooth again! In fact, I think it shifts more smooth, than before on a fresh install.....
RRE FTW!!!!

jamesinger
11-06-2010, 10:54 AM
I am glad this worked out well. It is always crazy scary when your car is freaking out!

4g63IX
11-06-2010, 12:51 PM
That's for sure! Oh, and I got a little insight, about the "talon special" and the claw. Haha!!!!