PDA

View Full Version : Blown shock/strut :(

Supra2JZGTE
11-07-2010, 08:38 AM
Whats up guys,

Seeing how you are the only shop I let touch my car, I have a problem that came up yesterday night at like 2AM on the 5 freeway.

My passenger side front shock/strut blew out on me, they are stock Bilstein shocks on a 2005 EVO 8 MR Edition, so my big question is, how much for you guys to change out old shocks/struts for new ones.

Do you have anything equal in price to the stock stuff but superior in performance and quality? Any recommendations for a stock replacement?

Thanks again,

ME :mitsu:

white9
11-07-2010, 08:40 AM
how do you blow a strut driving on the freeway?

EvoVIIIGSR
11-07-2010, 08:46 AM
There are a few people here that have their stock MR bilsteins for sale for a hella good deal. Check out the f/s and f/t section.

Supra2JZGTE
11-08-2010, 08:19 AM
How did I blow them? easy, I drove faster then 15MPH in Los Angeles :)

Particularly the 101 interchange in downtown LA after you go through that tunnel and around the bend near Union Station, its ridiculous, and that's just that part of LA. I drive a lot including to NorCal often, so it was just a matter of time before I hit and uneven hump on the freeway. Anyway, Ill look for some used Billsteins.

FUEL
11-08-2010, 08:29 AM
probably super hella flush and then hit a bummp or a pothole and then boom
That times 1,000 times. LA roads are crawling with deep cracks, missing asphalt, sink holes, uneven asphalt that causes the car to suddenly sink onto one side, it was only a matter of time.

so your're all super hellaflush limited suspension travel like this driving on LA streets? :?

Supra2JZGTE
11-08-2010, 10:11 PM
***UPDATE***

I went out this morning to put the EVO on the jack, only to find the wheel leaning inward. I was like, WtF? So I knew I was wrong and it was not a blown strut/shock, once on the jack it was clear what the hell was going on. The shaft that runs from the shock to the top of the strut tower had, severed in two. Sounds like Bullshit? Look below.

Going to buy a new stock strut, and install it. Anybody have any idea how the hell something like that happens to someone who has never taken there EVO to the track? I was driving back from San Diego to LA when it happened.

:mitsu:

sstevojr
10-12-2011, 03:58 PM
In honor of the impending All Hallow's Eve, a bump from the grave???

05-EVO-GSR
10-31-2011, 08:53 PM
I cannot believe that this thread has been read 1,815 times as of today. :idiot2:

kevzxvii
11-04-2011, 07:42 PM
I cannot believe that this thread has been read 1,815 times as of today. :idiot2:

lol, i was thinking the same thing and ive asked my self why i was reading this thread and thought i was curious to know why his struts blew cuhs i'm also on stock struts . :2funny: