PDA

View Full Version : Evo X: How does ECU know you've done an oil change

Skiracer
11-17-2010, 01:10 PM
I remember when i did an oil change a few months back, the indicator on the dash reset itself to remind me to change the oil in the next 5,000 miles.Â* How does the ECU know that?

Just wondering since i want to install a magnetic oil drain plug to replace the OEM oil drain plug. I don't recall seeing any sensors on the OEM drain plug, but wanted to make sure there were no sensors.

Skiracer
11-17-2010, 08:25 PM
bump anyone>?

blkside
11-17-2010, 08:47 PM
This better be a joke you fag...

go to the maintenance section and hit the correct "button"

it auto updates....

Jeffs2006EvoIX
04-18-2012, 05:27 PM
The Car knows and it doesnt know. What it does do is uses an internal clock to figure out the 6 months or part of it. As for Miles, it counts down of course. The question is, or should be, does the ECU "Record" the fact that it has been reset for an oil change or not? Is this a way for :mitsu: to see if folks are not changing their oil to void warranty claims? Sure there would be other factors, like you can do an oil analysis to prove your oil was still good in the event of a failure. My gut feeling though is the ECU does indeed "record" the oil changes that have been done when you reset the counter. I am sure some of the Tuners on here that crack into the ECU for tuning would know this to be true or not.

Jeff

thekhmer
05-03-2012, 05:07 PM
i thought u have to manual set a "time clock" and it will just count down..on a side note i someone fucked mine up lol..its reading like 8k miles till next oil change or every 10 months

05-03-2012, 06:37 PM
I dont even bother with it, its not hard to keep track of miles.. but thats just me

evolved13
05-03-2012, 09:36 PM
The ECU has a sensor that picks up atomized oil that is spilled when filling the oil into the engine, it literally vacuums the air under the hood for p.p.m. of hydrocarbons and sends a signal to a thingamajig that resets the periodic maintenance schedule mileage.

2muchboost
05-04-2012, 12:40 AM
The ECU has a sensor that picks up atomized oil that is spilled when filling the oil into the engine, it literally vacuums the air under the hood for p.p.m. of hydrocarbons and sends a signal to a thingamajig that resets the periodic maintenance schedule mileage.

I knew it!