PDA

View Full Version : AEM EMS vs Stock ECU

dwongcarreras
11-20-2010, 09:51 PM
Why is there a need to spend $1700 on a ECU. What can the AEM EMS do that the stock ECU can't?

HMatt
11-20-2010, 11:10 PM
Umm... pretty much tune itself to whatever AFR's you set (if you have the wideband), idle big-ass injectors without much input, typically gain more hp over the stock ecu for some reason, easier to tune once you get used to it, better logging capability...

There are more, that's just off the top of my head. You honestly don't get too hardcore of a benefit from it until you are going over the 600 hp range though.

Mike W
11-21-2010, 12:47 AM
Yep. Up to 500 whp you dont need the AEM computer. Between 500 and 600 whp it is a wash. Over 600 whp it starts to pay for its self. You have full control over loud knocky solid motor mount motors. You have better datalogging capability and also onboard logging memory. Especially the new Series 2 EMS.

Street price for the Series 2 EMS is closer to $1500 and a used Series 1 box is more like $800. They dont wear out.

Mike W

Sam Smash
11-21-2010, 11:21 AM
hahaha they dont wear out hahaha

TheBoz
11-21-2010, 03:57 PM
When I was using the AEM EMS on my galant, I found the software very easy to understand and use. When you put in value x your car does x. Now from what I have seen on the stock ecu it is very wierd and will do a lot of what it wants. The other very nice think about the AEM EMS, is if you want to run SD it is very simple. Just select your sensors and away you go. The stock ecu you have to go and edit all kinds of stuff. If you want to run a MAP sensor that is not a standard that everyone on the forums uses on the stock ecu you are assed out. On the EMS you simply plug in the spec data and you are good.

So for me I prefer the AEM EMS over the stock ecu.

I do think that all the work that has been done on the stock ecu is very impressive, and I wish that the AEM EMS would have some of the stock ecu stuff. THe Flash on knock, and Valate mode are very cool. But really that is about all I can think of that the EMS is missing.

biggiesacks
12-15-2010, 06:42 PM
The stock ECU will pass smog, that's a big plus. The stock ECU has more safety measures in place to protect your engine if the shit hits the fan.

EvilAWD10
01-06-2011, 04:53 PM
how about running speed density..has all the benefits of keeping the stock ecu but able to make additional power

Mike W
01-06-2011, 06:49 PM
The stock ECU will pass smog, that's a big plus.

For sure.

The stock ECU has more safety measures in place to protect your engine if the shit hits the fan.

Like what?

Mike W

FUEL
01-07-2011, 05:13 AM
It takes longer to start the car with the EMS..... And it makes your car easier for someone to steal :buck2:

HMatt
01-07-2011, 05:25 AM
^These days, does that really matter? I mean, if they don't take the whole thing, they leave it up on blocks and take the turbo and everything else they can off of it.

Besides, if you can afford the EMS, get a good alarm system and you won't have a problem.

biggiesacks
01-08-2011, 03:00 AM
The stock ECU will pass smog, that's a big plus.

For sure.

The stock ECU has more safety measures in place to protect your engine if the shit hits the fan.

Like what?

Mike W

With Tephra V7 you get Boost cut on knock or if AFR is out of range. Then there are the low octane maps. Im not sure if the EMS has a way to warn you of knock like the cell light flashing. I currently have my cell light set to flash on AFR out of range or knock over a preset load. Not to mention if a sensor takes a shit the ECU will still run in Limp mode. Im not sure if the AEM EMS would do the same?

amaev05
01-08-2011, 10:39 AM
SO its NOT possible to pass smog on ems?

biggiesacks
01-08-2011, 11:58 AM
No OBDII functionality = no pass

Black Evo Beauty
01-11-2011, 12:18 PM
yup no pass smog

AlphaKennyBody
01-11-2011, 12:34 PM
LMAO. Where are the tuners at....... We need the pros to come in not the I heard or I think or I'll pretend to know what and how it works.....

I myself know that there's MANY more options EMS can offer that the stock one can't but like mentioned earlier.. it wouldn't matter unless your 500-600HP+

2nd, what tickled my fancy was the comment regarding smog.. Again, as stated above.... I'm 100% positive running an EMS around with 500-600hp+ mark.... whatever is on your car will not pass smog regardless of Stock ECu or not. NOPE it wouldn't so that Smog Idea is throw out the window. Just saying.

Black Evo Beauty
01-11-2011, 12:48 PM
lmao

biggiesacks
01-11-2011, 06:37 PM
LMAO. Where are the tuners at....... We need the pros to come in not the I heard or I think or I'll pretend to know what and how it works.....

I myself know that there's MANY more options EMS can offer that the stock one can't but like mentioned earlier.. it wouldn't matter unless your 500-600HP+

2nd, what tickled my fancy was the comment regarding smog.. Again, as stated above.... I'm 100% positive running an EMS around with 500-600hp+ mark.... whatever is on your car will not pass smog regardless of Stock ECu or not. NOPE it wouldn't so that Smog Idea is throw out the window. Just saying.

You obviously don't know shit about this topic, so why are you posting? You claim to know of "Many" options the EMS has that the ECU does not....yet your entire post is devoted to bashing actual knowledge. This is why "real" tuners dont waist there time in these forums...

AlphaKennyBody
01-11-2011, 07:26 PM
Why would you get butt hurt to my answer? Because you got into details about Tephra?Â* You completely have shown your colors to what product you would run. So apparently, I need to type about Tephra and Sensors and Limp mode to post in here? GTFO!

If the OP wants a REAL answer and not just bullshit ass Tephra mods and Limp mode, Ask a Tuner who has tuned Both Stock ECU and any EMS. Just like this douche bag above me said...

"This is why "real" tuners dont waist there time in these forums..."

Go on EvoM and check the many threads they have up. Without going into FULL Detail cause people take an OPEN FORUM to damn seriously but just to entertain Mr. Dick wad,

The Stock ECU is perfectly fine even in HIGH hp cars. There's Evos that made plenty of great runs and build utilizing the Stock ECU. However a EMS offers options the Stock ECU can't do. EMS have pin point menus to what your looking for and not guessing what's under the peripheries. Sure the Stock ECU is free and is basically a EMS given you run Tephra Mod and whatnot but even till today there are many things in the stock ECU that NO ONE knows what they do and this is from Even Big tuners or Even the guys who Created Tephra! Hell tuning the stock ECU has still kinda new since the Evo 8 guys use to tune off of S-AFC controllers.

Drivability on the Stock ECU with HIGH hp Evo can be rocky cause the Stock ECU can only translate so much. I mean a tuner with experience can go into detail as... But again... who really drives 600hp+ Evos on the road daily? Wait before I get quoted... Again not talking shit about the stock ECU. Just stating from PERSONAL experience.

I mean I personally dont Run the AEM but I know it has different maps for many things. I doubt you can run 8 Injectors under the stock ECU can you? I myself run a Haltech System. Ive seen and checked out the AEM and Also Messed with the Stock ECU. But anyways, That's just a short little thing I wanted to share. Have Fun.

OH and to add there are EMS out there that still uses the factory Sensors and it still Factory able to use the OBD 2 port for Check Engine light Capabilities. Just saying but I dont know anything O0

kambodianboi
01-11-2011, 07:35 PM
Standalone Engine Management System, not a bad way to spend 10 grand...

If your going to street drive your car, forget the EMS.

HMatt
01-11-2011, 08:03 PM
It may have OBD functionality, but it still won't pass smog because it doesn't do the OBD smog tests or whatever they are called... And with that new law that came out, you can make a 600hp evo pass smog by setting the options correctly since all they will scan is the OBD port for newer vehicles... even if it doesn't even have a cat on it!

AlphaKennyBody
01-11-2011, 08:06 PM
^ haha Well I dont have to Smog being that I'm FL registered so No issues for me. :twisted: :twisted:

Which just reminded me to go Renew my license. Thanks O0

biggiesacks
01-11-2011, 08:30 PM
My True colors are that i run Tephra V7, 94170715 to be specific. Before V7 came out i was running V5. These BTW arent "products" they are open source free to anyone willing to learn how to use them, or pay someone else to do it for them. I dont expect you, AlphakennyBody, to know anything about Tephramod, but if you want to contribute to a topic you should at least try and contribute something. Tephra, MrFred and the many other developers on EvoM are the only reason the Stock ECU can even be compared to an EMS, so dont try and downplay their contributions to the evo community. I personally take advantage of the OBD II readiness patches every 2 years when i need to get smogged, and i pass with a wide array of mods. Alphakennybody go troll somewhere else you aren't contributing anything to this thread. I have been personally modding and tuning my Evo for 5 years now, so i actually know wtf im talking about.

AlphaKennyBody
01-11-2011, 08:36 PM
Wow Congrats... when AGAIN! I fucking already said Tephra is a PRODUCT it's a patch for the Stock ECU... It's a MOD it's a free program used in the open source community. I dont see why you keep personally attacking me. If you wanna talk to me call me send me a PM this shit is retarded LMAO. Congrats you tune your own Evo for 2 years now. WOW what does that have to do with "AEM EMS vs Stock Ecu " ?

I simply gave my answers. I'm not a kid for you to try to talk down to me. But I guess I dont know what tephramod is as I simply had mentioned it in other threads and post. Yes Thanks to MrFred he has been extremely helpful trying to break down the Stock ECU and make XML files for new versions of Tephra. So please. Take 5 Year modding ass somewhere else as your not helping. Both of my replies has been helpful. With a few PM's I've recieve others Understand what I've been saying. So thank you

biggiesacks

biggiesacks
01-11-2011, 09:15 PM
OK Alpha you win, but i will be sticking around.

This thread should probably be titled AEM EMS vs TephraMod flashed ECU, as a stock ECU with a stock ROM wouldnt hold a candle to an AEM EMS. If you are going to get a tune on your stock ECU Tephramod v7 is definitely the ROM you want to have setup on your car. It is the most feature rich and capable version available. Some tuners might not want to use it because of the large increase in resolution of the timing and fuel tables (Big Maps), but it is worth the effort.

This is California so we have to deal with some serious BS when it comes to smog laws. Especially if you DD like i do. The fact that the stock ecu can be programmed to pass a smog test without a shred of smog equipment on the car is great, have your cake and eat it too status. This is also a feature that isn't commonly talked about around here.

BudLightMike
01-11-2011, 09:25 PM
http://4gifs.com/gallery/d/171405-1/Startled_hamster.gif

AlphaKennyBody
01-11-2011, 09:37 PM
OK Alpha you win, but i will be sticking around.

This thread should probably be titled AEM EMS vs TephraMod flashedÂ* ECU, as a stock ECU with a stock ROM wouldnt hold a candle to an AEM EMS. If you are going to get a tune on your stock ECU Tephramod v7 is definitely the ROM you want to have setup on your car. It is the most feature rich and capable version available. Some tuners might not want to use it because of the large increase in resolution of the timing and fuel tables (Big Maps), but it is worth the effort.

This is California so we have to deal with some serious BS when it comes to smog laws. Especially if you DD like i do. The fact that the stock ecu can be programmed to pass a smog test without a shred of smog equipment on the car is great, have your cake and eat it too status. This is also a feature that isn't commonly talked about around here.

And I agree with you... TephraMod V7 is what is currently instead on my Stock ECU however I'm not running that ECU anymore. When I mention Stock ECU i dont mean Factory off the Floor no Tephra tuned....I mean Tephra mod was Installed onto my ECU. So yes again. But we All know the Stock ECU (Tephramod Patched ECU) is what he's referring too.

I never had to Smog my Evo as in 2012 is when I would have to. But we all know ways around it..... and being I'm a FL resident I decided to register my car in FL since I'm not trying to float around with basic bolts ons and just slap a turbo on.... My peers know I'm on the road to build a HIIGH HP Evo.

HMatt
01-12-2011, 11:16 AM
Fuck yo couch! Both of you!

This is starting to look like a honda forum thread or an evom thread before the mods clean it up.

biggiesacks
01-12-2011, 04:33 PM
Fuck yo couch! Both of you!

This is starting to look like a honda forum thread or an evom thread before the mods clean it up.

Yah e-drama isnt my thing. My reaction was pretty out of character, but i was having a shitty day. Sorry Alpha for taking it out on you.

AlphaKennyBody
01-12-2011, 04:56 PM
^LOL

It's all good dude... I dont take this shit online too seriously. People have their days. It's water under the bridge so dont trip dude. No Drama here it was a simple misunderstanding.

HMatt
01-12-2011, 08:22 PM
Awww.... Isn't that special?

apexct9a
01-12-2011, 08:30 PM
:gheyfight:

biggiesacks
01-13-2011, 12:41 AM
:gheyfight:

:offtopic:

HMatt
01-13-2011, 01:27 AM
^Funny though...

biggiesacks
01-17-2011, 02:21 PM
I guess a mature resolution to an argument is so strange around here, its being mistaken for homosexualtiy? Do i have that right? LOL

HMatt
01-17-2011, 08:23 PM
Yes.

TheBoz
02-03-2011, 09:58 PM
Well I finally gave up on the stock ecu. I am going back to an AEM EMS. The Gen 1 boxes are super cheap right now, and if you can tune yourself it is a really good option. Most email tunes for speed density are about 3-400 bucks. You can pick up a used ems for about 500 bucks. So a lot of good options out there.

Reese Tuning
02-04-2011, 12:27 AM
This thread is too funny. I will keep too myself. Good info gentlemen.

James

HMatt
02-04-2011, 12:29 AM
^Just read that you put your OEM ECU back in your RS. That just temporary or are you gonna go for the stock ECU hp record?

Reese Tuning
02-04-2011, 12:31 AM
I cant go for the HP record I have a MD. My dyno numbers are too low.

James

Reese Tuning
02-04-2011, 12:34 AM
Need a super data lab log from a road tuner. They need to tell me how fast it goes from 0-100 in traffic on the 5N. I need that data before I can tell how much power I make. Once I get that info I will report back to let everyone know how fast the RS is.

James

Johnson
04-05-2011, 06:09 PM
if u want to go SD.. AEM ftw