PDA

View Full Version : After market clutch

FlyingEunos
12-03-2010, 09:39 PM
Hello guy, I need some help deciding on aftermarket clutch. Currently, I'm running stock evo 9 which has 60k miles and clutch is now slipping. In the near future, the car will have turbo back, intake, after market intercooler and maybe 272 camshafts. I also been reading around and found that a lot of members prefer excedy and not act... Why? And, if I were to get the exedy, which stage and type do I need to suit those mods listed above?

Thanks!!

R-EVOLUTION
12-03-2010, 09:45 PM
I have the ACT XTSS, and it feels great, Excedy is a lil more expensive but if im not mistaken excedy and ACT are one in the same...

one4
12-03-2010, 09:48 PM
you will be good with a act hdss. i loved mine. upgraded to a xtss now and it feels the same pedal wise, just bites a little harder. Go with the ACT

evolution8mirage
12-03-2010, 09:51 PM
I have the ACT XTSS as well, its been good to me, except for the throw out bearing giving out a month after it was installed. no launching or racing on it. but i got it replaced and love it

Reese Tuning
12-03-2010, 10:31 PM
I have the ACT XTSS, and it feels great, Excedy is a lil more expensive but if im not mistaken excedy and ACT are one in the same...

They are far from one in the same. One locks out the other doesn't. You are wrong sir :) The actual TQ holding capabilities are far different as well. The list goes on.

James

FlyingEunos
12-03-2010, 10:38 PM
what does lock out mean? And, are u saying exedy is a bit better?

Reese Tuning
12-03-2010, 10:45 PM
An exedy twin is FAR better. Lock out is when you attempt to shift the car at 8100 RPM and the trans will not allow for it. Stick with the EXEDY Twin HD if funds allow for it.

James

R-EVOLUTION
12-03-2010, 10:46 PM

They are far from one in the same. One locks out the other doesn't. You are wrong sir :) The actual TQ holding capabilities are far different as well. The list goes on.

Â* James

I didnt mean same specs, I meant arnt they the same company??? Â*A while back at mod there was a ACT vendor that told me that ACT and Excedy were the same company..either was it looks like OP needs some thing mild not to agressive so I say hdss or xtss would do fine..

Pops
12-03-2010, 11:05 PM
I had bad luck with exedy twin. Warped horribly.

Have been running ACT single with no issues for 3 years, happy happy joy joy.

If you have questions, their VP Dirk used to lurk around the Evo forums and always backed up his product. Not super expensive either.

FlyingEunos
12-03-2010, 11:09 PM
Thanks for all the suggestion and opinions.. I learn a lot today. The most important thing is that you guy are willing to share your experience. And, I do appreciate a lot!

biggiesacks
12-04-2010, 02:28 PM
I have been running my ACT street disk w/ roadrace no name 3200lb PP on my DD for 80k miles now. Im not making crazy power but i have never had a problem with lockout. I did however replace my clutch line with a stainless steel line w/ out the restrictor pill in it.

kambodianboi
12-04-2010, 02:32 PM
Im running an Exedy Stage 1, 30k miles on! LOL lasted longer than my stock.

Power wise, it holds pretty well. But im not putting out crazy amount of power. The clutch is pretty stiff, compared with other EVO people with RRE and ACT 3200. One thing is, that it doesn't handle heat to well, after a few long street driving, it feels like it want to bog/stall when going from a dead stop. As for high rpm shifting, it kinda locks out, but its a 50/50 for me.