PDA

View Full Version : Oil Brand of Choice

Jeffs2006EvoIX
12-17-2010, 10:42 AM
Hey everyone, I know polls like this have been done in the past, but times change as do oil packages in most oils these days.* With the SM rating lowering ZDDP levels and the performance is going up, while it seems the anti wear qualities of oils are going down, I wanted a new poll to see what people are using and why.* If you vote and if you would like to post what oil you are using, for how long, and who told you to use it and why, would be of great help.* The info gathered is to help others choose what oil is best for them and why.*

Thanks Everyone for your time, and I hope this poll and responses will help people in the future.* *O0

osolokes213
12-17-2010, 10:42 AM
voted...i've been using royal purple for 2 oil changes now...10w-40...no one told me to do it, i just did myself...can't tell any significant difference in hp, but one thing i am sure of is that when i used other oils, my car would go to really low rpm's as if it was to turn off...even after i switched to 10w-40 in the other oils, still same problem...after i went to royal, i didnt have that problem anymore...

Black Evo Beauty
12-17-2010, 10:59 AM
mobil 1 ftw

kambodianboi
12-17-2010, 10:59 AM
Mobil 1!!!

Azian
12-17-2010, 11:03 AM
I could vote if you add Brad Penn to the poll ;)

kambodianboi
12-17-2010, 11:04 AM
Stop making up names... this is a serious forum!

Azian
12-17-2010, 11:07 AM
Stop making up names... this is a serious forum!
Don't be angry cause I didn't put your boyfriends name homo!!!!!Brad Pitt=Fail

EvoIX007
12-17-2010, 11:10 AM
Mobile 1, have used Royal Purple in the past and didn't really notice any difference. At least not enough to pay what difference from Mobile 1. Plus gotta go with the Mobile 1 5qt jug from Walmart. O0

Jeffs2006EvoIX
12-17-2010, 11:18 AM
I will post up what I am currently using and why even though its my poll. *I figure as much info out there would or could help someone out. *

I am currently using Mobil 1 10/30 EP or "Extended Performance". *I do not use this oil because I try to go 15,000 miles on an oil change, to me that is just nuts unless you have some old beater your trying an experiment on for college on motor oil *:grin:

I have been on the fence about oils for some time. *I have researched and researched and it all seems to boil down to loyalty to a particular brand to some degree. *Mobil 1 is factory fill, and I remember one time a guy that sold a competing brand of oil said, "Mobil 1 paid *:mitsu: to put their oil in their cars". *Yes that was an actual quote, and it tells you the mentality of some oil retailers. *You actually think as few evos there were made, that Mobil 1 would make enough money in return on their so called investment? *These are Evos, sold in limited productions, not Civics where 300,000 are made a month. *You know? *So that whole quote is total BS to me. *

I feel that *:mitsu: could of put any brand oil in their engines. *They have the R&D above and beyond ANY engine builder here or anywhere. *Granted we are talking OEM off the shelf engine here. *BUT they still extracted 143bhp per liter out of the 4G63 STOCK and that is quite a feat. *If I am not mistaking *:mitsu: 4G63 in the 8/9 held the most HP per liter of ANY production car sold. *That says something. *

There are many good oils out there, and there really isn't a best. * I have tried numerous brands over the years but I keep coming back to Mobil 1. *The engine just seems quieter, smoother and the turbo seems to spool up quicker. *Mind you, this is using 30w. *I did run a 40w oil for a bit while experimenting with WMI, but when I took the kit out, so went the 40w oil. *

I am looking into using the M1HM "High Mileage" oil soon. *Not because my car has high mileage, but the oil package from M1 in this particular oil looks very promising. *I willkeep you posted on that as I experiment. *

I will try and post up the oil test results as well as the oil break down done by blackstone labs. *Again folks, in my case, I am talking stock block and stock turbo. *By all means if you have a built motor, go by what the installer or manufacturer recommends. *

I hope that this poll will shed some light for people that just are not sure what to do. *I really would advise every Evo owner to go to the BITOG web site and just read. *It is a very informative site, I am sure there are others out there, and if you find some let me know, but this site will give you the basics that you need to make future decisions. *Lets keep in mind that this poll is not to "bash" a particular brand. *Lets keep it clean and factual, not opinionated. *At least as much as we can, or with your own personal experience. *Just back up what you say, so it will help people understand the "why".

Let the postings begin *O0

Jeffs2006EvoIX
12-17-2010, 11:19 AM

Brad Penn would fall under "other" and you can post why you use it. Would be very helpful.

Azian
12-17-2010, 11:30 AM
I've been running Brad Penn ever since I read this thread:
http://forums.evolutionm.net/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain/513867-lubrication-thread.html

It's recommended to FP customers because of the extra zinc, so I said why not try it on a stock turbo because I figured the extra zinc would be good for it. Ever since then I've noticed my engine isn't as noisy as before as well so I figured that's a plus as well. I've ran mobil, royal purple, redline, amsoil, castrol and a couple other oils and the only ones that actually quieted down the engine were redline and amsoil. I will be trying out the oil in January at the track and i'll see how it holds up :) I'm currently running 20w-50 right now but I'll be switching over to Brad Penn 10w-40 for the track in January.

FP's post:
http://store.forcedperformance.net/merchant2/graphics/subaru_oil/Forced%20Performance%20Recommendations%20for%20Mot or%20Oil.pdf

My favorite part of the post that really made think about using Mobil 1:
" I know that your filler cap on your motor says use Mobil 1 5w-30 – you may remove the sticker at this time and stop believing that what was good for your 270bhp motor is still good for your 650bhp motor, it is not. Some might have a hard time considering that their daily driver 4G63 motor is a “race engine”, but anything that makes 100bhp per piston is a race motor, and if you think otherwise then you are fooling yourself. "

Amato Tire
12-17-2010, 12:11 PM
redline 20-50

R-EVOLUTION
12-17-2010, 12:15 PM
I use Mobil 1/ Valvoline Synth (once) :grin:

But I want to try the AMSOil 0w-30 Synthetic

lemmonhead
12-17-2010, 12:17 PM
My oil analysis says Mobile 1 10W30 is doing very good. Ontop of that I have seen a video of Nissian GTR development using Mobile 1. the video was all about the changes to the GTR and Not oil but I did notice for 1 second the Mobile 1 being poured in.
So, to me there is no need to spend more money on an oil when I always will change after 3,000 Miles anyways. So the extra protection of Amsoile doesn't do me any good with such an extreme oil change interval

aguilar45
12-17-2010, 12:23 PM
Amsoil for heavy duty play
Mobil1 free oil changes for DD

ecko
12-17-2010, 12:28 PM
Mobil 1

the oil thing is something people like to way over think

you'll get rid of the car or die in it before the oil you used ever mattered as long as it's changed frequently enough

aguilar45
12-17-2010, 12:29 PM
Looks like The Brad Penn grade oils are made in AMERICA +1 :smitten:

R-EVOLUTION
12-17-2010, 12:29 PM
http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/sso.aspx

Well ever since reading this I wanted to try the AMSOiL.

R-EVOLUTION
12-17-2010, 12:33 PM
Amsoil for heavy duty play
Mobil1 free oil changes for DD

Thats the thing if you DD your Evo and don't really abuse it Amsoil would be great, since the intervals of the oil change would actually extend, yes its much more expensive then Mobil 1 or other Synth brands.

But like again it comes down to personal preference.

aguilar45
12-17-2010, 12:43 PM
^^^yah I won't waste time on Expensive oil if just taking the Evo out to buy Smokes and Pancakes But I did try the Amsoil racing oil grade at the track...can't say anything about performance but sure made the *tickers* run smoother and quieter :angel:

evolution8mirage
12-17-2010, 01:30 PM
i love me some Mobil 1. lol

but if i had the dough, i would get something better not sure what though.

one4
12-17-2010, 02:03 PM
mobile 1 10w-40 high mileage. i used to run the 10w-30 ep, but my car runs smoother on a slightly thicker oil...

Jeffs2006EvoIX
12-17-2010, 03:02 PM
I have been really considering the Mobil 1 High Mileage 10/30 for quite some time.* I really think people using a 50W oil in a Stock Block and Turbo are losing some ponies at the wheels.* You may say, protection over power to the ground, but I dissagree with that.* The motor has certain clearances.* If the engine is built to require a 50w then its tollerences may be considered loose.* Now, if your building some monster 700whp Evo, then maybe those type of tolertolerances fall into place.* But for OEM the tollerences are fairly tight and a 30w should be all you need.*

Besides, a thinner oil would circulate better when cold, thus reducing wear, where most wear occurs (start up) and the thinner oil should provide quicker spool up of the turbo due to less drag of the oil.* Thinner oil also cools the motor quicker because it can draw the heat away from the metal quicker and get circulated through that oil cooler quicker.* If you track your OEM block and Trubo, and oil temps are a concern, try upgrading your oil cooler rather than your oil.* If you throw your Evo on the Dyno with lets say Brad Penn 20/50 vs. lets say Mobil 1 10/30 I would be willing to bet you will see at least 5 hp difference at the wheels on an OEM spec car.*Whats 5hp? People spend hundreds of dollars to gain just 5hp, so to some that may be a big deal. Again, this is all up for debate, I draw most of my oil info from BITOG, tons of emails to companies, and just trial and error.*

ZDDP is also a requirement for some aftermarket turbo manufactures. Extra ZDDP in a OEM turbo is up for debate. If you use an oil that has more in it, unless its really excessive should be fine. Its just the Evo from my knowledge doesn't shear oil badly. At least not on any of my oil tests. When oil shears, it looses its ability to protect the metal parts. Thus metal to metal contact happens. That is where the ZDDP comes in to play to act as a buffer. On a race car, shearing may be more likely, but on a stock block and turbo, unlikely, at least shown by my oil reports. The Evo also has roller rockers and hydrolic lifters so in the valvetrain itself ZDDP won't really be an issue. Again, this is a OEM block and Trubo. If your engine builder make you a 2.4L monster and he or she says to use 20/50 whatever, then by all means.

I think oil is very misunderstood, and like one member said, your engine will last damn near forever even with regular M1 in it, but this post could help someone decide on what they want to use.* Without the sales pressure of an oil dealer or distributor.

Azian
12-17-2010, 03:14 PM
I got tuned on BP 20w-50 four days ago and made damn good power for 26psi on e85* :2funny:

But yes I do understand what you're saying about clearances. I saw a post on evoM awhile about using the BP 20w-50 on a stock block, and they said not to use it because OEM clearances are very tight, but most built motors don't have clearances nearly as tight as OEM which is why most shops on evoM that build motors usually use fairly thick oil because it can circulate because of the looser clearances. The reason I'm running 20w-50 right now is because I had 5qts to use and I didn't want them to go to waste so I just put them in the car. I will be switching to the BP 10w-40 right before my next track day and will be running that permanently from then on* O0

Quoted from evoM:
"one thing I havent seen discussed all these oil threads is the engine bearing clearances. it seems this knowledge is completely lacking. modern engines are built with extremely tight bearing clearances. very near .001 for mains and .0015 for rods. this includes the factory built 4g63 turbo engine. Now if you are running a built engine those tight bearing clearances go right out the window. your built motor will have bearing clearances in the .002-.0025 range. BIG difference in oil viscosity requirements between the two. yet in ALL these threads it is never mentioned. 20w-50 is great for built engines. but might not be the best idea for an engine with very small clearances."

Another thing to think about:
There are also plenty of other suitable oils available from Amsoil, Joe Gibbs, Valvoline and Royal purple for example that fall into the same basic performance level for high pressure-friction protection. Running oil that does not offer this type of high pressure oil film strength in your engine is just a mistake, plain and simple. Mobil 1 used to be considered such oil, but it has been many years since it was reformulated and “watered down” to accommodate OEM emissions and fuel efficiency requirements. Your engine does not have any fuel efficiency requirement; you do not have a catalytic convert on your race engine either, so why run oil whose main focus doesn’t pertain to your needs?

Jeffs2006EvoIX
12-17-2010, 03:26 PM
Azian, I don't want to hear about your monster HP numbers on E85* :tickedoff:* You suck man! closest E85 station for me is over an hour away* :'(* Im jeolous bro.
I was using Royal Purple 10/40 when I was using WMI breifly.* I think you need to use a "race" oil when you fall into the E85 or WMI category.* Why?* The alcohol breaks down the oil film of the oil quicker.* So you may need to do more frequent oil changes where as with a Race oil 3K oil changes are definately doable.* Royal Purple 10/40 in particular was made for use with Methanol and Alcohol in mind.* I am sure other "race" oils fair just as well.* I do know that Redline does not like to be mixed with water.* So I would not advise use of Redline with WMI unless your running 100% meth

Azian, Good quotes from EvoM I read those too Very Good Additon to the post* O0 Those so called watered down Mobil 1 oils though apply only to SM rated oils. So that applies to ALL brands not just mobil 1. Any Oil with an SM rating has to meet the same API specs to get the seal of approval. The Mobil 1 High Mileage as an example is SL rated which means it has more ZDDP. 1000ppm vs 800ppm of SM. That applies to all brands. German Castrol 0-30 is also SL rated and has 1000ppm of ZDDP as well. The HTHS rating of M1 HM and GC are very good by the way. O0

Azian
12-17-2010, 03:37 PM
Azian, I don't want to hear about your monster HP numbers on E85* :tickedoff:* You suck man! closest E85 station for me is over an hour away* :'(* Im jeolous bro.
* I was using Royal Purple 10/40 when I was using WMI breifly.* I think you need to use a "race" oil when you fall into the E85 or WMI category.* Why?* The alcohol breaks down the oil film of the oil quicker.* So you may need to do more frequent oil changes where as with a Race oil 3K oil changes are definately doable.* Royal Purple 10/40 in particular was made for use with Methanol and Alcohol in mind.* I am sure other "race" oils fair just as well.* I do know that Redline does not like to be mixed with water.* So I would not advise use of Redline with WMI unless your running 100% meth

Azian, Good quotes from EvoM I read those too Very Good Additon to the post* O0 Those so called watered down Mobil 1 oils though apply only to SM rated oils though and that applies to ALL brands not just mobil 1.
They weren't "monstrous" numbers but the car did very well IMO for the amount of boost that was used and I'm very happy with it. The car now has a bit over 92k miles and still going strong(knock on wood), I think that James was even surprised by how she did. I do my oil changes between 2-3k miles usually and haven't had issues. Awhile back I was trying different oils on the street and track and the worst one was probably castrol syntec(for me at least). Normally after every 20min session at the track I take the car up and down to cool off the brakes and engine, but the one time I used castrol the car kept wanting to die on me even after I did that. I never had an issue with redline or amsoil doing that so ever since then, I've decided to not use castrol oil. And good thing I don't use any lower grade oils in my car :D I remember your car awhile back on the dynojet at James old shop getting tuned(december of 2008 I believe) :)

One of these days I will send the Brad Penn oil I use out to Blackstone Labs to get tested after I do one track day and say 1-2k miles to see how far broken down the oil got.

Jeffs2006EvoIX
12-17-2010, 03:43 PM
Azian,

Yep that was me bro, I used to go to James shop monthly since I live out here in El Centro.* Its a ways to go.* I have not been to the shop since June.* Money has been very tight with the state budget cuts (thanks Arnold* :tickedoff:)

I want to run E85 and James has been telling me to run it so I can meet my 400whp mark, but its just too far to get.* I thought about storing it, but storing 40 gallons of gas in my garage for a monthly run kinda makes me nervous, haha.* Especially with kids in the house.* So I am stuck at the 320whp mark for now.* Asian, I think the Mobil 1 High Mileage in 10/30 or 10/40 would work very well for you, but since your using E85 maybe try Amsoil Dominator 10/30 very stout oil for a decent price.* But if your looking for something off the shelf, the M1 HM is very good choice and reasonable price.* I know James was running Brad Penn in his Race Car for a while, not sure if he still is, but Christine is around the 700-800whp marker now.* So 20/50 is definately suitable for that Monster.

Azian
12-17-2010, 03:57 PM
Azian,

Yep that was me bro, I used to go to James shop monthly since I live out here in El Centro.* Its a ways to go.* I have not been to the shop since June.* Money has been very tight with the state budget cuts (thanks Arnold* :tickedoff:)

I want to run E85 and James has been telling me to run it so I can meet my 400whp mark, but its* just too far to get.* I thought about storing it, but storing 40 gallons of gas in my garage for a monthly run kinda makes me nervous, haha.* Especially with kids in the house.* So I am stuck at the 320whp mark for now.* Asian, I think the Mobil 1 High Mileage in 10/30 or 10/40 would work very well for you, but since your using E85 maybe try Amsoil Dominator 10/30 very stout oil for a decent price.* But if your looking for something off the shelf, the M1 HM is very good choice and reasonable price.* I know James was running Brad Penn in his Race Car for a while, not sure if he still is, but Christine is around the 700-800whp marker now.* So 20/50 is definately suitable for that Monster.
My name is Ben btw* :2funny: Yeah the closest E85 station to me is 8 miles so it isn't too bad, but sometimes it is a hassle to be honest even though it is that close to me . I'll think about running Mobil again but I just love how the BP makes the lifters nice and quiet* :smitten: Hopefully I can get some track results of the BP oil as well for some "real world" results. The BP oil is very cheap as well ~$6 a quart(picked up from a local muscle car shop) and the price can't be beat for good oil* 8) If I continue to use it I'll keep getting it from STM since they offer free shipping and it will be $32.50 shipped to my door step from them for 5qts.

Jeffs2006EvoIX
12-17-2010, 04:13 PM
Ben,

No concerns about not using a 100% synthetic in your car?* Just curious.* I know the "green oil" is pretty good stuff, just not sure how it holds up in the turbo "coking" arena.* I just think you would want a really high flashpoint in an oil used in a turbo charged car.* Higher the flashpoint, the better the oil is at high temps, meaning less deposits etc. I mean don't get me wrong many known Evo engine builders use Brad Penn, but then again, they tear down their engines often too.* For us DD guys, that just isn't practical.*

Your thoughts on that?

Azian
12-17-2010, 04:22 PM
Ben,

No concerns about not using a 100% synthetic in your car?* Just curious.* I know the "green oil" is pretty good stuff, just not sure how it holds up in the turbo "coking" arena.* I just think you would want a really high flashpoint in an oil used in a turbo charged car.* Higher the flashpoint, the better the oil is at high temps, meaning less deposits etc.* I mean don't get me wrong many known Evo engine builders use Brad Penn, but then again, they tear down their engines often too.* For us DD guys, that just isn't practical.*

Your thoughts on that?
Nope, no concern to be honest. If a very reputable vendor/engine builder(like johnbradley aka aaron @ ER) recommends it, I usually try it out and see how the car responds to it. I haven't had any issue after two oil changes so I don't see anything to worry about. Like I said above I will have the oil tested when I have some time to see how the oil is holding up. I actually have had a subaru engine builder tell my friend he only uses conventional oil which actually surprised me so after that I decided to try the semi-synthetic BP oil. Will try to get some results asap :) Johnbradley actually posted about using the BP 20w-50 in his stock engine for 38k without issue, so he does a significant amount of personal experience with it.

mad pup
12-17-2010, 04:33 PM
I use M1 in my Evo because it's free from SCM.

Otherwise, I'd probably use Amsoil 10w30. From what I've read, it's a great oil, so I use it in my S2000.

littlejap33
12-17-2010, 06:21 PM
mobile one 10w40 FTW or mobile1 15w50

sgvevo9mr
12-20-2010, 01:23 PM
total/elf

MinusPrevious
12-20-2010, 06:55 PM
If you guys want to get sick on oil, you should join this forum& Kudos for those that have analyzed their oil
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php

Ive used Mobil 1 for years in all my cars w/ extending drain intervals up to 8K in my DD & 3-5K in the EVO

My last fill in the EVO I chose Castrol Syntec but will only run it for 3K & then change to Castrol EDGE (Not on the list FTL)

Make the rain stop!!! / Peace & Merry Christmas

Joe

chinoxmk22
12-20-2010, 08:22 PM
Mobil1 fashow

Jeffs2006EvoIX
12-21-2010, 11:12 AM
If you guys want to get sick on oil, you should join this forum& Kudos for those that have analyzed their oil
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php

Ive used Mobil 1 for years in all my cars w/ extending drain intervals up to 8K in my DD & 3-5K in the EVO

My last fill in the EVO I chose Castrol Syntec but will only run it for 3K & then change to Castrol EDGE (Not on the list FTL)

Make the rain stop!!! / Peace & Merry Christmas

Joe

Just curious if you ever did an UOA of your oil while using E85. I think people dont realize that the film of the oil breaks down with Alcohol fuels, so using over the counter oils like M1 or Castrol may not hold up. If you change the oil every 2K or so may be ok, but wont know unless you do an oil test. I used RP XPR 10/40 when I used WMI, just for the reason that it holds up well to alcohol fuels. Other choices for E85/Meth: Royal Purple XPR 10/40, Amsoil RD 30, as for Redline, I hear its not the greatest for WMI but may be suitable for E85, you may need to contact Dave at Redline to Check.

Merry Christmas Everyone :)

one4
12-21-2010, 11:35 AM
im on e85 and using the m1 10w40... i might send some out for analysis in the near future. im not too concered about it breaking down too much since i do my changes at like 2500-3000 miles. i wouldnt run more than 3k miles tho...

MinusPrevious
12-21-2010, 08:03 PM
Just curious if you ever did an UOA of your oil while using E85.* I think people dont realize that the film of the oil breaks down with Alcohol fuels, so using over the counter oils like M1 or Castrol may not hold up.* If you change the oil every 2K or so may be ok, but wont know unless you do an oil test.* I used RP XPR 10/40 when I used WMI, just for the reason that it holds up well to alcohol fuels.* Other choices for E85/Meth: Royal Purple XPR 10/40, Amsoil RD 30, as for Redline, I hear its not the greatest for WMI but may be suitable for E85, you may need to contact Dave at Redline to Check.*

I have not performed a UOA & you bring up a good point.* Ill be sure to change my oil a bit sooner than 4K.* *I read on bobistheoilguy.com that some facilities do not test for fuel in the oil but all of us running the Alcohol should run a UOA

Thanks

FI
12-21-2010, 08:48 PM
Love me some Amsoil.

one4
12-21-2010, 10:18 PM
http://forums.evolutionm.net/alternative-fuel/426168-e85-oil-how-they-mix.html

FlyingEunos
12-22-2010, 12:43 AM
I use Royal Purple on all my cars. It's a bit expensive but I want the best for my 4g63!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqvhRi7-iMA

Jeffs2006EvoIX
12-22-2010, 05:35 PM
There is No "Best" Motor Oil. Royal Purple is good, but I wouldn't consider Nothing from RP unless the XPR series. All the rest are not any better than anything else on the market. XPR's on the other hand, is the real deal. $15 p/qt though. I find that hard to pay when you can have Redline or Amsoil Racing Oils for less money.

Jeffs2006EvoIX
12-22-2010, 05:39 PM
Just curious if you ever did an UOA of your oil while using E85. I think people dont realize that the film of the oil breaks down with Alcohol fuels, so using over the counter oils like M1 or Castrol may not hold up. If you change the oil every 2K or so may be ok, but wont know unless you do an oil test. I used RP XPR 10/40 when I used WMI, just for the reason that it holds up well to alcohol fuels. Other choices for E85/Meth: Royal Purple XPR 10/40, Amsoil RD 30, as for Redline, I hear its not the greatest for WMI but may be suitable for E85, you may need to contact Dave at Redline to Check.

I have not performed a UOA & you bring up a good point. Ill be sure to change my oil a bit sooner than 4K. I read on bobistheoilguy.com that some facilities do not test for fuel in the oil but all of us running the Alcohol should run a UOA

Thanks

Yes, ALL Evo Owners should do a UOA of their oil and ESPECIALLY if your running Race Gas, E85 or WMI. CRUTIAL!! Blackstone labs where I send mine does check for fuel, its just $10 extra if you want to know the TBN of whcih menas nothing to an Evo Owner. TBN counts are good for people trying to "extend" their oil changes. Not a good idea on an Evo IMO.

Jeffs2006EvoIX
12-22-2010, 05:52 PM
http://forums.evolutionm.net/alternative-fuel/426168-e85-oil-how-they-mix.html

You can use Diesel Oils, they are a great alternitve to "race" oils. Lots of ZDDP and a stout oil. BUT, most Diesel oils are 40w and for an Evo especially one with a stock block and turbo, that can cost you power. People spend hundreds of dollars to gain 5-10HP at the wheels, but you can gain that just buy using the right viscosity oil. Most people may brush off the HP difference on a dyno as something else, like temp variation or whatever. In actualality you want the thinnest possible oil in your car. NOT the thickest. Unless your Engine was put together sloppy. Or the specs are wacked out. Oil is crazy, way more to it than most realize. Most Tuners dont even realize. Or will ever admit. So research on your own, and if you have a built motor, ask for specs and clearances of the motor, so you can find what is best to use in your Motor. Now if you gave AMS or Buschur $10,000 for a motor, then by all means put in what they tell you!!!

MinusPrevious
12-27-2010, 08:10 PM
Just loaded in Castrol EDGE 10w30 using a Fram XG9688. Read the positive reviews on the oil & the filter on the forum / bobistheoilguy.com

Purchased the oil at Kragen $8.49 per quart

philee
12-28-2010, 10:14 PM
Seems like I am the only one who uses Redline.. LOL.

biggiesacks
12-29-2010, 12:58 PM
I thought this was a drivetrain forum? Anyways ive been using Mobil 1, ive recently started using their high milage formula since i read it had more zinc or something like that. I change my oil every 3k miles like my life depended on it ( Its my DD so it kinda does). Im at 118k miles and its running stronger then ever.

one4
01-26-2011, 02:26 PM
So what would be a good diesel oil to run since I'm on e85 99% of the time? I run a 40 weight anyways(mobile1 10-40).. How about Mobile 1 Tdt( Its a 5-40)? I need something I can get at a local store...

gutman
01-26-2011, 04:25 PM
What would be recommended for a built head, stock block, 30r setup? I've been using M1 10-30 and was going to try the HM or EP version on my next oil change, but is there something else I should try? I was also considering switching to a 40 weight, but now I'm not sure.