PDA

View Full Version : How do you know when your transfer case is about to go?

hyper
12-29-2010, 07:43 PM
How do you know when your transfer case is about to go for the Evo X? I have a whine on my car on slight acceleration and decceleration. I've heard the videos on YouTube, but my car doesn't sound like those. I don't hear the sound increasing as my RPMs increase

BlackFQ
12-29-2010, 08:20 PM
If the whine continues even at higher rpms then that's it going out..if it goes away its normal

BlackFQ
12-29-2010, 08:22 PM
Let me put it this way My friend had this happen to him and on the freeway at 80 the whine was loud..

hyper
12-29-2010, 08:31 PM
Oh okay, thanks O0 I was just getting paranoid from the sound. My whine doesn't get louder. Your friend has an Evo X?

HR2L
12-30-2010, 12:18 AM
If the whine continues even at higher rpms then that's it going out..if it goes away its normal

Pretty much. Loud whining @ all RPM's especially @ Higher RPM's is a good indication that your TC is on its last limb, and is hating life as it knows it. :P

FUEL
12-30-2010, 12:26 AM
How do you know when your transfer case is about to go for the Evo X? I have a whine on my car on slight acceleration and decceleration. I've heard the videos on YouTube, but my car doesn't sound like those. I don't hear the sound increasing as my RPMs increase

Do you still have warranty? Go get it checked out.

If you're hearing a LOUD whine under acceleration and deceleration...it most likely is going out. Did you abuse the car that it's already on it's way out?

*the warranty comment was sarcasm...we all know Evo's do not come with a warranty anymore*

zeRep85RA
12-30-2010, 12:38 AM
Whine? You probably have the NEW 2011 Electric EVO with a Supercharger..

Iz all gud!

hyper
12-30-2010, 12:38 AM
It's not a loud whine at all, very faint. Â*I'm not sure how long it's been there because I usually listen to music while driving. Â*I have 0 launches on my car and have about 9300 miles.

hyper
12-30-2010, 07:51 PM
Sorry for a double post, but if the transfer case leaks, will there be a light that appears on the dashboard? One last thing, if your transfer case is about to go out, if you put it into neutral, would the transfer case still continue making the whine, or would the whine disappear? I'm thinking that the TC would still continue making the whine, but I'm not too sure. Thanks in advance!

mrxgeean
01-17-2011, 04:14 PM
Get your car check now! My tcase just gave up!

Departed
01-18-2011, 12:46 PM

What symptoms did you have, if any?

mrxgeean
01-18-2011, 01:09 PM

Winding/buzzing sound at high speed and down shifting. Car is practically brand new. And i though it was a just a clutch buzz. But then on the freeway on ramp and that shit was gone!

Departed
01-18-2011, 01:21 PM

Winding/buzzing sound at high speed and down shifting. Car is practically brand new. And i though it was a just a clutch buzz. But then on the freeway on ramp and that shit was gone!

Dang that sucks man! Sorry to hear yours took a crap on you. I don't know if what I am hearing with my car is normal or not. I have bolt on's and a tune so if there is something wrong, most likely will be out of pocket lol. I've never launched and don't shift hard either etc so it would be really lame if mine gave out. Thanks for the information.

JDMCT9MR
02-08-2011, 10:17 PM
I just bought a used x off of someone on here. I just noticed some squealing that I noticed today. It seems to be coming from the rear diff area but I'm not sure. Im wondering if it could be the brakes but I can hear a slight noise even at idle. My car still has a warranty on it so if my mechanic can't figure it out I'll be taking it to the dealer. My car only has hks intercooler pipes,a arc front mount, and a hks intake so I hope they don't have a cow over that.

evo mr
02-08-2011, 10:26 PM
Have you check your fluid level on the transfer case?

JDMCT9MR
02-08-2011, 10:29 PM
^I literally got the car yesterday. I didn't notice the noise till after I got back from aaa. I'll have my mechanic check it tomorrow. Thanks for the tip!