PDA

View Full Version : Evo 9 MR tranny/clutch issues?

ntwaddel
01-04-2011, 04:52 PM
So i started driving my car yesterday and it was making a grinding sound when I put in the clutch. It would go away when I let my foot off the clutch. So i turned around and headed home and by the time I got to my house it would barely even go into gear. I had it towed to south coast this morning and they are looking at it. They called me earlier and they think something is wrong with the transmission. South Coast put a new clutch on it at 50k and now it has 72k on it. Anyone ever had a similar experience? The only real mod I have on my car is exhaust, so I am hoping maybe the engine/drivetrain warranty will cover it if it is a tranny. It's a daily driver so it has never had any sort of abuse, track use, etc. :'(

Mike W
01-04-2011, 04:58 PM
What you are describing sounds like a clutch problem. But you will know more once they pull out the transmission. If the transmission comes out and there is nothing obvious wrong with the clutch, then the tranny comes apart to look for what would be wrong.

You took it to them because you trust them, no? Let them figure it out :-)

Mike W

ntwaddel
01-04-2011, 05:25 PM
Yeah i trust them, i just thought i'd post too :)

ntwaddel
01-12-2011, 12:41 PM
So my ACT Heavy Duty Street Clutch pretty much came apart..
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/hs047.snc6/167714_10150161829329167_675094166_8334906_3756270 _n.jpg

I also had this thread on evolutionM
http://forums.evolutionm.net/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain/533856-act-heavy-duty-street-clutch-failure.html

Another guy on there pretty much has the same picture as mine. Still kinda shocking for a clutch with 20k-ish miles...

FUEL
01-12-2011, 01:51 PM
For basically a stock car why would you need a "heavy duty clutch" ?Â* The stock ones good for almost 400hp ? If nothing is wrong with your transmission...just add an a stock Evo9 clutch...an SS clutch line and some better fluid like Motul and call it a day. Your leg and gear box will like you more :)Â* ....that is if you plan on not adding anymore power mods to your car.

ntwaddel
01-12-2011, 02:39 PM
For basically a stock car why would you need a "heavy duty clutch" ?Â* The stock ones good for almost 400hp ? If nothing is wrong with your transmission...just add an a stock Evo9 clutch...an SS clutch line and some better fluid like Motul and call it a day. Your leg and gear box will like you more :)Â* ....that is if you plan on not adding anymore power mods to your car.

well when the factory clutch went out i thought this would be an upgrade that would last longer.. :) My leg is dealing with it ok.

chinoxmk22
01-12-2011, 05:45 PM
Damn that looks crazy. So any word back from south coast? Hopefully its all good mang

ntwaddel
01-12-2011, 09:01 PM
Damn that looks crazy. So any word back from south coast? Hopefully its all good mang

its all fixed now, it just cost me a few bills... new clutch, pressure plate, flywheel and some labor.

chinoxmk22
01-12-2011, 09:07 PM
nice dude, all back to normal then.Â* O0

ntwaddel
01-13-2011, 11:09 AM
yeah i was pretty excited to get it back :smitten: much smoother too

ntwaddel
01-13-2011, 02:18 PM
What clutch now?

ummm, the same one. I'm crossing my fingers that unit was just a defect. I wrote ACT a letter about it

Mike W
01-13-2011, 04:01 PM
Looks like the rivets might not have been squished enough. I told ACT about your situation.

We installed 80+ ACT clutches with that same disc last year, 90+ in 2009 and over 100 in 2008. If someone had one fall apart I would hope they would have told me. No one has. We have had a few people in the past blow apart a sprung hub disc like that with big big E-85 torque. That does not look like the case here. If anyone is making big E-85 torque we put in a solid hub street disc.

Mike W

ntwaddel
01-13-2011, 05:30 PM
Looks like the rivets might not have been squished enough. I told ACT about your situation.

We installed 80+ ACT clutches with that same disc last year, 90+ in 2009 and over 100 in 2008. If someone had one fall apart I would hope they would have told me. No one has. We have had a few people in the past blow apart a sprung hub disc like that with big big E-85 torque. That does not look like the case here. If anyone is making big E-85 torque we put in a solid hub street disc.

Mike W

good to know, that makes me feel better about putting a new ACT on there. If they would like to see my clutch I have it all boxed up in my garage right now.