PDA

View Full Version : Whistling Noise from Turbo? (Video Included)

jose.chen
03-01-2011, 11:02 AM
So I've had the evo since march 2008 and I've not had problems other than TSBs. I've done all oil changes and other services needed for the car through the dealer. I had to replace a vacuum line once. The car has no mods at all. So far, I've driven it for about 53k miles (it's my DD).

Anyways, like I said, I've not had problems with it until now. Lately, the turbo (I believe, could be engine), has been making this loud whistling noise on a cold start. It usually last for about 10 seconds and it goes away. Sometimes the noise comes in as soon as I start off the car, other times it takes about 20 seconds for it to show up.

I never drive the car unless it's warmed up (when the temperature gauge displays a bar) and usually let it cool down for about 45 seconds or so before I turn it off when I drive it hard or for prolong time.

Anywho, here's video showing the noise. Skip to around 20 seconds (that's when the noise comes out)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oY9p0zVdCmU

Anyone know what it could be? I just dropped off the car at the dealer about an hour ago, I told them to let it sit for couple hours and see if they can get to show up. But it'll be somewhat tough for me to leave it overnight since I don't have another car and that's my DD.

KT Motoring
03-01-2011, 11:37 AM
It could be your tensioner pulley(s). You definitely need to get it checked out.

R-EVOLUTION
03-01-2011, 11:38 AM
Thats a weird sound...Sound like you have a grinder or something. Best thing would be what you have done taking it back to the Dealer...

melachu
03-01-2011, 12:05 PM
I have a noise on cold start-up too except mine is by the pulleys and is ONLY on startup. I already spoke to SCM and they think it might be oil pump related. Im bringing in my car this week to also get it checked.

jose.chen
03-01-2011, 12:28 PM
Mine also goes away after couple of seconds, but it reappears every time on a cold start. Hopefully the dealer can figure out what it is. I've read some threads on other sites claiming that is nothing alarming if it goes away after a bit, but then again I don't know what their description of "whistle" is. It might be a different problem than mine. I'm hoping that they can figure it out since I'll be driving the car from SD to LA back and forth this weekend.

06ssdevo9
03-01-2011, 01:24 PM
^ Where have you been man? I don't see you anymore. Roll through the SD meet.

jose.chen
03-01-2011, 11:49 PM
^ I disappeared hahaha. I've been very busy with university. But yeah I'll try to go to the meets again, where are you guys posting up the meets? Hopefully after they fix my problem I get more time to meet up with you guys.

Anyways here's an update on my situation:

So after taking it today and leaving it there for over 12 hours, they turned on the car and managed to replicate the sound (no surprisingly). Then I get a phone call from them claiming that they have no freaking clue to what it is, but it is coming from the turbo. They said that I should leave it overnight so they can check it out, but I couldn't do that since it's my DD.

Anyways, good news is, today I managed to borrow a car for a couple days so I'll be dropping the car off first thing in the morning. The dealer that I went to suggested to replace the turbo, so it'll go under warranty, but I need to show them service history to see if I've been taking care of the car (Thankfully, I've been doing all oil changes except for 2-3 at a Mitsu Dealer).

I'll be dropping it a the usual dealership that I go to for maintenance (not the one I took it today for check-up) and see what they say, hopefully it's a simple fix and not a turbo replacement.

I'll keep this updated as soon as I get more info after tomorrow.

SAVAGEcorpsman
03-02-2011, 12:01 AM
^ Where have you been man? I don't see you anymore. Roll through the SD meet.

Best recruiter ever! O0

Departed
03-02-2011, 03:16 PM
Holy crap. Sounds like you are cutting wood on a table saw. Good luck finding out what this is man!

SAVAGEcorpsman
03-02-2011, 03:35 PM
Tell me they fixed it!

What was it?

jose.chen
03-02-2011, 03:47 PM
Not sure yet, I'll update this as soon as I find out. The noise didn't show up this morning though. The only different thing I did today was have the AC off...

jose.chen
03-07-2011, 06:54 AM
So the current update to this is that the dealer couldn't replicate the problem so they don't know what to fix. Not only that, I've tested it for 2 days now and the noise is no longer there. Not entirely sure as to what had happened, but it somehow "fixed" itself.