PDA

View Full Version : SCREEEEECHING CLUTCH!! :-(

codeblue258
03-10-2011, 02:51 PM
All right so here's my situation:

I had a new clutch installed roughly back in september time frame. Not sure cause I was deployed while it was being installed. The member who installed it will remain nameless. Installed was the ACT HDSS 6 puck unsprung disk with no name lightened flywheel.

At first I had no problems and im still not even sure if the problem happens to be the clutch.

Scenario:

Upon start up no unusual sounds can be heard.

While engaging the clutch and putting her in 1st gear still no unusual sounds can be heard.

While disengaging the clutch right when it starts to catch I hear a LOUD SCREECHING sound from underneath the car.

After driving the vehicle there is no more noise. When I engage and disengage the clutch while driving there is no noise at all.

Â* Â* Â* Â*I'm unsure what is making the noise and of course noises can be hard to determine. Asking one shop I got the "answer" its normal just launch it once or twice and you'll be fine. Another shop wants to take that clutch out and replace it with a exedy twin and rebuild the tranny.

So any ideas??? PLEASE HELP!! haha thanks everyone!!

squirmos87
03-10-2011, 02:56 PM
Maserati...

Reese Tuning
03-10-2011, 04:30 PM
We already diagnosed the car man :) Maybe you will get a better diagnosis here. JK.

James

codeblue258
03-10-2011, 04:50 PM
^^^ Yea but the community still needs the knowledge. Just in case another member runs into the same garage mechanic that messes his sh!t up hahahahahaha!! thanks man!!

squirmos87
03-10-2011, 04:53 PM
997 TT...

Mike W
03-10-2011, 04:53 PM
It is normal for a race clutch (6 puck unsprung hub) to sound like a race clutch. Launching on it (is why you put a race clutch in?) would get it rocking for sure. It may still chatter and squeal some at certain temps and pedal applications. Putting a street clutch in would probably make it more like a street car. Going to a sprung hub I dont think would change a lot. Is your tranny broken or something? Why would it need to be rebuilt?

Mike W

Reese Tuning
03-11-2011, 12:16 PM
Idle shaft bearings are worn bad Mike. It gargles terribly.

James

Nito619
03-11-2011, 01:05 PM
My act 2100 with act 6puck sprung on my dsm makes similar noise with about 1500 miles on it but it is not as loud as it is rather faint. 6 pucks don't like being halfway engaged, the pucks grab like tiger claws onto the pressure disc and flywheel instead of a palm grip.

What are idle shaft bearings? The throw out bearing?

Question for the OP just to clear things up, when you pressed the clutch in in neutral does the noise appear or only when engaging off first gear?

codeblue258
03-11-2011, 02:58 PM
only when disengaging in first gear.