PDA

View Full Version : RRE TCSST Cooler

BoostLee
03-22-2011, 11:25 PM
RRE installed their TCSST cooler kit today.Â* As always, service was top notch in all aspects.Â*

They're not quite ready yet as a DIY kit but for locals (or for those willing to make the trek - I drove 2hrs each way), they're charging $700 installed which includes about 3 quarts of Diaqueen SSTF-1 (plus sales tax for parts).Â* Please note that these are still "made to order" kits and pricing for the DIY kit has not yet been finalized.Â* From the quality of the components and the fact that 3/4 of a Daiqueen can is required, I would have paid $700 sans labour myself.Â*

No fans or extra oil pump necessary as Mike's track tested his 300awhp Ralliart with 3 passengers for a full session at Fontana with no issues on this set up and no "Slow Down" warnings.Â* Fans are available as an option for those high HP track mainly monsters.Â*

I don't recall the exact dimensions of the coolers but I think they're in the range of 16" x 10" for the side mount and 10" x 6" for the front mount.Â*

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5024/5551831461_98d6d96ec9_z.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5266/5552378200_f2cc39a9b8_z.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5060/5551793323_06eb698652_z.jpg

A sincere "mahalos" to Mike and his crew for yet another well executed service.

O0

Skiracer
03-23-2011, 06:14 AM
That looks so sexy! O0

jamesinger
03-23-2011, 05:34 PM
That looks so sexy! O0

Why are you awake so early simon?
You are supposed to be a man of leisure!!

SAVAGEcorpsman
03-23-2011, 05:36 PM
Epic win!Â* No more transmission heating issues?
Also how loud is it? The AMS one my friend has is pretty loud but works like a charm at the track.

BoostLee
03-23-2011, 09:11 PM
Epic win!Â* No more transmission heating issues?
Also how loud is it? The AMS one my friend has is pretty loud but works like a charm at the track.

Haven't driven it hard enough for a first person opinion on the heating issue but I trust Mike or I wouldn't have done it.

As for noise, I didn't go with the fan option as I'm only putting out 305awhp/306awtq.

Skiracer
03-24-2011, 06:19 AM
That looks so sexy!Â* Â* O0

Why are you awake so early simon?
You are supposed to be a man of leisure!!

Gotta wake up early to make the donuts....

GokuSSJ4
03-24-2011, 09:48 AM
I need to add an oil cooler and an tranny cooler to my soon too be 400whp pump dd X
Gotta love the mike w special!!

choicelaw
03-24-2011, 09:53 AM
Nice mod O0

supergreen125
03-24-2011, 12:38 PM
I've had the same setup on my X since November. Highly recommended! Mike's crew did a great job with the install and even stayed late on a
Friday just so I could have the car for the weekend. I don't track my car and don't plan to so I can't say how they perform in extreme conditions, but for my use they did the trick... and the "whirring" noise I was experiencing before the install is gone. O0

zeRep85RA
03-24-2011, 12:59 PM
Getting this done as soon as I have the feria!

RRE FTW!

BoostLee
04-04-2011, 10:22 AM
Haven't had any track time yet but I did multiple runs up and down Palomar's Tight Side this weekend and the transmission (with RRE coolers) held up with no issues in S-Sport mode.Â*

The Tight Side is a hill climb about 7 miles long with around 50 turns and 3,280' of linear elevation change and I'm shifting at redline (98% of the shifts are between 2nd and 3rd with the occasional 4th) for most of those 50+ turns.Â* You don't get much over 60mph (meaning not much airflow at say a track like Big Willow) and you're loading up the transmission pretty heavily since you're going uphill for 7 miles.Â* Here's a good video with some guy in his Miata climbing Palomar:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QynyquqCtPk

For me, if the TCSST could handle the stress of the Tight Side, I'm sure it'll handle most track days for a low 300awtq car with ease without the optional fans.Â* Will report again once I get some real track time done hopefully in the next month or two.

TitosEVO
04-11-2012, 11:46 PM
Haven't had any track time yet but I did multiple runs up and down Palomar's Tight Side this weekend and the transmission (with RRE coolers) held up with no issues in S-Sport mode.

The Tight Side is a hill climb about 7 miles long with around 50 turns and 3,280' of linear elevation change and I'm shifting at redline (98% of the shifts are between 2nd and 3rd with the occasional 4th) for most of those 50+ turns. You don't get much over 60mph (meaning not much airflow at say a track like Big Willow) and you're loading up the transmission pretty heavily since you're going uphill for 7 miles. Here's a good video with some guy in his Miata climbing Palomar:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QynyquqCtPk

For me, if the TCSST could handle the stress of the Tight Side, I'm sure it'll handle most track days for a low 300awtq car with ease without the optional fans. Will report again once I get some real track time done hopefully in the next month or two.

palomar is my jam, let me know next time you go there. i was just there last sunday and it was beautiful. no traffic, no pigs.