PDA

View Full Version : Radiator leak

KRS333
03-26-2011, 10:40 PM
I have a 2006 with a leaking radiator. Seems to be leaking from the top. Anyone know why or what may be the problem?

kambodianboi
03-26-2011, 10:57 PM
Leaking from top? More description would be helpful.

Is it leaking from the cap? overflow hose? Plastic top of the radiator? or from the mess?

KRS333
03-27-2011, 06:45 AM
Not leaking from the cap. Â*Looks like it is from the top platic around the metal trim

KRS333
03-27-2011, 03:09 PM
Anyone else have any input? If I change the radiator do I need to look out for anything else? I know it was smelling like coolant for about a week but never paid much attention to it.

KRS333
03-28-2011, 07:40 AM
Bump for some help with this....

biggiesacks
03-28-2011, 01:12 PM
you can either have it repaired by a radiator shop ~50 bucks and they will replace the plastic top and bottom and reseal it. Or you can guy a new/aftermarket one. Choice is yours. I had mine repaired twice before i just switched to an aftermarket all aluminum one.

KRS333
03-30-2011, 06:57 AM
How long do you suggest I drive the car like this for? It is not over heating and checking the coolant everyday. I am not driving far maybe about 10 mins a day until I get it fixed.

SAVAGEcorpsman
03-30-2011, 07:25 AM
0 days, unless u like risking your evo

KRS333
03-30-2011, 07:40 AM
Damn. This is my only transportation right now.

KRS333
03-30-2011, 08:13 AM
Take it in to a shop. Ask them instead of getting guesses........

If you've smelled coolant for days......

And didn't think anything about it? Think about it now...more days leaking doesn't = okay.

If it is your only transportation, find a family member to lend you a car or rent a car.

Gl with the issue. Just don't stall with it, could be a small fix or it could lead to something else.

True that. I am going to just park it until I get a replacement radiator. I will figure something out.

KRS333
03-30-2011, 08:27 AM
What is the worst that can happen?

KRS333
03-30-2011, 08:35 AM
What is the worst that can happen?

HA. LOL. Bro I would not be sad if it actually did. I have checked the hose and everything looks fine seems that it is coming from the top as if the plastic is cracked..

Your car explodes lol jk...

Probably just need a new radiator. Make sure you check the hose that has the leak and the clamp for any imperfections that may cause the leak

KRS333
03-30-2011, 08:41 AM
Pictures?? And they circle where it is at and how Much coolant is coming out?

Whats your email so I can do it on break from my phone. Good looking out...

kambodianboi
03-30-2011, 10:53 AM
I suggest you get it fixed ASAP! Depending on how long you are on the road, say if the coolant leaks and some how empty out while you are driving, you can expect to be replacing your head gasket, which can/will cost more to fix than fixing the radiator/replace it now...

biggiesacks
03-31-2011, 12:44 AM
it might be a small leak now, but eventually it will start gushing. Worst case is it goes empty and your engine overheats. Probably not going to happen as you would see a giant cloud of steam coming from your engine bay before it got that bad. Its a pretty simple thing to get fixed. Look in the yellow pages for a radiator repair shop near you. Call them ahead to get a time estimate (almost allways same day if you get it there before lunch). Borrow a car from a relative/friend or rent something? Remove the radiator, then take it to the shop to be repaired. They will replace the endtanks, weld any holes in the metal shut, and then preasure test it. When they are done they will call you and you can go pick it up. Bring it home re-install the radiator and your GTG.

***** Warning if you do not know how to remove the radiator then you need to take it to a shop/call a friend as this can be hazardous to you and the environment******

KRS333
03-31-2011, 07:02 AM
Well the car is sitting pretty out in the street. Borrowed a van from my wifes aunt. UGH. Now I really feel like a family man. I also found a place that sells aluminum radiators by a company called Forged Racing for about $160.00. Anyone heard of these guys before?

Azian
03-31-2011, 07:08 AM
I suggest you get it fixed ASAP! Depending on how long you are on the road, say if the coolant leaks and some how empty out while you are driving, you can expect to be replacing your head gasket, which can/will cost more to fix than fixing the radiator/replace it now...
+1

If the car overheats bad enough you can warp your head and then the fun really begins.

Black Evo Beauty
03-31-2011, 09:02 AM
fix it asap

J-VO
04-06-2011, 02:26 PM
holy shit this sounds like my exact problem. anyone know how to remove a radiator? looks like it's leaking from the top as well on my shit.

KRS333
04-12-2011, 08:15 AM
holy shit this sounds like my exact problem. anyone know how to remove a radiator? looks like it's leaking from the top as well on my shit.

One of the easiest jobs to do. I switched to a Aluminum radiator and called it a day. Picked one up for about $180.00

dastallion951
04-12-2011, 08:43 AM
yea replace your radiator, now depending on your miles might wanna consider doin your radiator hoses for piece of mind, tell you what man if your local to riverside, pm me and id be willing to install it for you its not that hard man...so let me know whats good...recommendation, buy the mishimoto radiator lifetime warranty even with crashing your car, and run samco hoses....those are nice too..

J-VO
04-21-2011, 09:03 PM
haven't signed on in a while but ya, radiator replaced. did it myself extremely carefully since all the forums on evom cautioned that the fan can easily damage the radiator if it brushes against the "fins" shit was easy. luckily i already have the samco hoses and they are all good. ebay megan radiator for 180!!!! omg! :)

silverevo05
04-21-2011, 10:32 PM
How did the megan fit?????

I was looking at the mishimoto but read that the drain hole is in the wrong spot plus it hits the ac line, so now I AM LOOKING AT THE MEGAN

biggiesacks
04-22-2011, 12:41 AM

I was looking at the mishimoto but read that the drain hole is in the wrong spot plus it hits the ac line, so now I AM LOOKING AT THE MEGAN

I think most of the thicker radiators will hit the a/c hard line. My koyo did, nothing a little elbow grease cant fix though.

dastallion951
04-22-2011, 09:09 AM
silver evo who told you it doesnt fit with the a/c line, mine fit perfectly even with putting the stock fan shroud on the back of the radiator...only thing i had to buy on top of the radiator was the lower mount bushings one had completely deteriorated out of the car, so by replacin it i got rid of one metal sound the car makes on decel, the other noise ive attributed to worn strut mounts and struts which im takin care of within the next few days when parts show up, the others are cracked motor mounts, which are next on my list.

J-VO
04-23-2011, 02:52 PM

megan one slipped right in. had to maneuver it carefully but nothing to strenous at all man...it was relatively simple.