PDA

View Full Version : Fluid leaking from the transfer case from the driveshaft..?

autotaku
03-27-2011, 05:13 PM
Recently changed my fluids.Â* I thought the bolts were loose but they weren't. took it to a local shop to get a closer look under it.Â* I realized it wasn't the bolts.Â* Those were fine. It was actually coming out from the drive shaft area.Â* The reason i found out was because of the smell from the fluid landing on the downpipe.Â* My question is.Â* Is this a seal? Where could i get this fixed.Â* and WTF?!Â* Honestly this has been like this for a good while but I hardly drive my car up until now.Â* Pics below.Â* Tips and advice please.Â* Â**note* I do have an aftermarket clutch.Â* is it possible that cause my plug/seals to go? Or was it something else?Â* I also never beat on my ride. I always baby this thing which is sad to see it bleeding like this =( .Â* The funny thing is I took it to my dealer a year ago back to fix an issue because they were at fault and THEY CLEARLY did not tell me fluid was leaking from any components.Â* they just fixed the part and let it be. -_-Â* Â* Anyways pics below.Â* If anyone knows what's up let me know.

I seen some fluid from here but there was more towards the T-Case..
http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad348/andyluang/leak1.jpg

http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad348/andyluang/IMG_1209.jpg

http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad348/andyluang/IMG_1208.jpg

phoreal
03-27-2011, 05:27 PM
Theres a seal it could be worn out or torn, its a easy fix

autotaku
03-27-2011, 05:29 PM
Theres a seal it could be worn out or torn, its a easy fix

Yeah? I was thinking it was a seal too. but I rather be safe and get a 2nd opinion from everyone here on the forum before putting her under the knife. Thanks for the quick reply. it helps haha :D

autotaku
03-27-2011, 05:34 PM
Does anyone know the part number for this specific seal? I was doing research but Im not sure if that's the correct oneMN 132370

biggiesacks
03-28-2011, 01:14 PM
i had to replace that seal myself. It was pretty easy, only took about an hour with jacks, and that was takin my sweet time. Not 100% on the part number but if you goto on of the online parts sites you should be able to pick it out of a diagram.

autotaku
03-29-2011, 12:50 AM
^ thanks for the 2 cents. how much did you pay for your seal? I would love to do this myself but im lacking the tools to keep this lifted safely plus the time. I think I might meet up with a friend to finish this out but hopefully it's just a seal!

autotaku
03-30-2011, 04:11 PM
Thought it was a seal. i found out it was the ACD is leaking. said it going to be like 5k to get it repaired wtf. zzz a lot of stuff going on im figuring something out now.

choicelaw
03-30-2011, 04:14 PM
^$5,000 to repair? Shite. . . :-o Sorry to hear this.

autotaku
03-30-2011, 04:18 PM
yeah you

^$5,000 to repair? Shite. . . :-o Sorry to hear this.
yeah.. should have seen my face when i heard them say that. I thought they were just fckin around. but then I realized they weren't smiling anymore. -_- I still have warranty but it's under "review" due to a mod from the previous owner. I did buy this from a dealership. not a private owner. the suckas sold me a faulty warranty. Hopefully this can get fixed in one piece.

choicelaw
03-30-2011, 04:20 PM
^What mod?Â* Did the prior owner do an ACD flash or something?

Which dealership?

autotaku
03-30-2011, 04:38 PM
^What mod?Â* Did the prior owner do an ACD flash or something?

Which dealership?

i bought the car from a dealership out of state at the time. It was a dealer selling the car not a private owner. Just has an aftermarket clutch. Which i didn't realize until later in the year of driving. I honestly thought that was how an Evo's clutch would feel. but then i realized it was an "illegal mod"

went to huntington beach. They lifted the car and did a review. I seen them show me where it was leaking, said it was internal. I seen a pool of fluid by the breather valve.

one4
03-31-2011, 12:37 PM
By the breather on top of the tranny?

autotaku
03-31-2011, 01:40 PM
By the breather on top of the tranny?

yea. was a puddle of fluid there. would you believe it's an internal problem from the ACD? possibly a seal? I don't think ACD is cracked or anything. I never beat on the car so I would assume it's just a seal. but Mitsu doesn't have the tools to touch it so they have to replace.

Jeffs2006EvoIX
03-31-2011, 02:16 PM
I dissagree with the dealerships findings. That oil is Amber in color, the ACD fluid is RED like Tranny Fluid. If it was an ACD leak the fluid would be RED. Amber is the color of The Transfer Case. Something isn't adding up here IMO.

Jeff

Jeffs2006EvoIX
03-31-2011, 02:18 PM
If for some reason it is the ACD (which I think it isn't just by the color of the fluid) then F the ACD and Go to Reese Tuning and do a ACD Delete and put in a 8 Transfer Case with No ACD. The ACD on our cars is a joke anyway. That is, IF they don't cover this under their BS warranty. I would bring up the Fluid color though, dealerships LOVE to Price GOUGE :mitsu: BAD.

Jeff

one4
03-31-2011, 02:22 PM
I had a puddle of fluid in the same spot... I had a busted lower clutchline, which is common from aftermarket clutches. I broke 2 of them before switching to an Ams ss. Has the clutch pedal felt any different lately? Like softer? Or has it ever stuck down?

If it does happen to be the acd, the banjo bolt on the tcase might be leaking.

jamesinger
04-01-2011, 11:46 PM
I had a puddle of fluid in the same spot... I had a busted lower clutchline, which is common from aftermarket clutches. I broke 2 of them before switching to an Ams ss. Has the clutch pedal felt any different lately? Like softer? Or has it ever stuck down?

If it does happen to be the acd, the banjo bolt on the tcase might be leaking.

If it was the clutch line, you would also see that your brake fluid would be low because that is where it would be leaking the fluid from...

autotaku
04-03-2011, 09:54 AM
Tranny fluid.. Well maybe I need to take a relook. shaking my head with disbelief haha. i hope it isn't the tranny. I don't even beat on it and it bleeding :( but I guess all good cars always have something wrong with them? lol..

the clutch feels fine. I haven't noticed any sticks or softness. I am still looking into it. Hopefully it is just a minor leak from somewhere =/. Yeah the problem is Reese tuning is all the way down in SD while im up here in OC. I dont wanna drive far or get it towed. Money is a bit tight right and it's a pain to see this happening now.

one4
04-03-2011, 11:29 AM
Go to RRE. Just check the clutchline where the lower one meets the upper... Since there is a puddle of fluid on top of the tranny the only one it could be is brake/clutch fluid since the line is right there. Unless u drive upside down :D

evo-mike
04-05-2011, 03:48 PM
i cant see your pics cause im at work, if its amber its prob the transfer case. mitsubishiparts.net has the two transfer case o-rings you can order for like 6bucks shipped. (insanely cheap) a little elbow grease and some time with you and/or a knowledgeable buddy and its a cheap fix. what kind of brake fluid do you use?

evo-mike
04-05-2011, 03:50 PM
MD727944 : 1 : $1.88
MD743612 : 1 : $1.44

-----------------------
Subtotal:$3.32
Shipping:$2.99
Tax:$0.00
Total:$6.31

autotaku
04-06-2011, 11:39 AM
Thanks. I love somewhat close to RRE. I think I will drop by later. and thanks for the serial numbers for the plugs. Brake fluid.. well right just something basic.. i haven't changed the brakes in a good while. i guess that's because I never really beat on the car and so forth to really see brake fade etc. but I think i will change it very soon after my 2nd paycheck.

evo-mike
04-06-2011, 12:35 PM
if you used super blue brake fluid...we could rule out the clutch line(cause its blue)

woodchuck
06-29-2011, 11:05 PM
bumping this thread instead of starting a new one. crappy cellphone pic.
similar problem as the OP.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5034/5886395381_92285a0ecc.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/40605651@N05/5886395381/)

not sure what i'm leaking. redline shockproof maybe?

how does this happen? I just got my 60k service done three weeks ago from a shop?

Ben(Azian) got some good shots his phone on how bad the spill was. it wasn't leaking onto the floor but the pepto was on everything underneath the car.

XdsEVO8X
06-29-2011, 11:22 PM
Is your tcase making a whiney noise?

woodchuck
06-29-2011, 11:45 PM
not really. i'm too tired to look any further for the source of the leak. :(