PDA

View Full Version : megan racing street coilovers

bmirandeezy
04-20-2011, 06:14 PM
hey guys i was trying to find out if anyone has tried these out. just looking for a good drop, it is mostly for looks. it will be a dd car. any problems with it after a couple thousand miles? any feedback would be great!!! thanks!!!

2muchboost
04-20-2011, 06:18 PM
hey guys i was trying to find out if anyone has tried these out. just looking for a good drop, it is mostly for looks. it will be a dd car. any problems with it after a couple thousand miles? any feedback would be great!!! thanks!!!

I have them on my Ralliart.
Comfortable ride. Good performance. Only complaint I have is they are a little noisy. On slow speed turns you can hear the pillow balls. Sounds like metal on metal clanking. :P

Azian
04-20-2011, 06:31 PM
I got the Megan Tracks and they're great :) I get the occasional binding sound every now and then (couple times a week, if that).

bmirandeezy
04-20-2011, 06:55 PM
Comfortable ride.Â* Good performance.Â* Only complaint I have is they are a little noisy.Â* On slow speed turns you can hear the pillow balls.Â* Sounds like metal on metal clanking.Â* :P

did you do anything to get rid of the noise?

j.liu
04-20-2011, 10:38 PM
^^^ Bryant? You go to PCC? LOL

bmirandeezy
04-20-2011, 11:03 PM
^^^ Bryant? You go to PCC? LOL

yeah haha what up john!

Blk Mivo IX
04-20-2011, 11:04 PM
i have the Megan street on my lancer (same as 2muchboost)
and theyre awesome! Awesome for the price as well!
and yes, i do get the binding noise as well. but its just some clunking
the noise just proves that your a real man with a real man suspension.
LOL

Azian
04-20-2011, 11:13 PM
LOL
Just shut up Bench LOL

Blk Mivo IX
04-20-2011, 11:33 PM
LOL
Just shut up Bench LOL

stop hating! and you know its TRUE!

Azian
04-20-2011, 11:46 PM
LOL
Just shut up Bench LOL

You're gay, go to a track a few times then talk..........lol j/k :P

j.liu
04-21-2011, 12:02 AM
^^ LOL your mean Ben, Hi Bryant hows your break so far? Hook it up with that shift knob!

Blk Mivo IX
04-21-2011, 01:46 AM
LOL
Just shut up Bench LOL

You're gay, go to a track a few times then talk..........lol j/k :P

pay for my track day :)

WHAT SHIFT KNOB! ?!? ?!?

2muchboost
04-21-2011, 02:20 AM
Comfortable ride.Â* Good performance.Â* Only complaint I have is they are a little noisy.Â* On slow speed turns you can hear the pillow balls.Â* Sounds like metal on metal clanking.Â* :P

I dont think there is anything you can do about the noise :(

Blk Mivo IX
04-21-2011, 06:18 AM

yeah i dont think so either.
weird cuz yo have preload on urs and i dont have on mine. and the springs still click and bind and clunk.

Azian
04-21-2011, 08:19 AM

What he said lol how often do you guys get the binding sound? I don't get it that often.

bmirandeezy
04-21-2011, 10:28 PM
^^ LOL your mean Ben, Hi Bryant hows your break so far? Hook it up with that shift knob!

been pretty good just working haha. but yeah what shift knob are you looking for?

bmirandeezy
04-21-2011, 10:31 PM
alright thanks guys i guess ill get them and try it out haha. you guys made my decision a lot easier

1WkdEvo
04-21-2011, 11:01 PM
Have them on my X and they are great for a DD and even mild track duty. Massimo Power took the clanking away for me when I got irritated with it.

bmirandeezy
04-21-2011, 11:28 PM
Have them on my X and they are great for a DD and even mild track duty. Massimo Power took the clanking away for me when I got irritated with it.

if you dont mind me asking how much did they charge you and what did they do to make the clanking go away

1WkdEvo
04-21-2011, 11:31 PM
I trust him with my car so I did not ask what he did, I just asked him if he could resolve it. He charged me a couple hours of labor and the problem was solved.

Give him a call or send him a PM and maybe he can outline it for you

bmirandeezy
04-22-2011, 11:00 PM
I trust him with my car so I did not ask what he did, I just asked him if he could resolve it. He charged me a couple hours of labor and the problem was solved.

Give him a call or send him a PM and maybe he can outline it for you

alright thanks a lot!!!!

ETHERevo10
06-17-2011, 08:18 PM

Comfortable ride. Good performance. Only complaint I have is they are a little noisy. On slow speed turns you can hear the pillow balls. Sounds like metal on metal clanking. :P

Sorry this is kind of old, but theres a nut on top of the pillow mount you have to torque down. I had 1 strut that did this, and it went away. I can take a picture of it and you can give it a shot if you haven't fixed it yet.

Blk Mivo IX
06-18-2011, 12:54 AM
pix pls!

ETHERevo10
06-18-2011, 08:01 PM
A) "RATTLING" AND "CLUNKING"
The rattling and clunking usually sound like metal-to-metal contact and usually is a sharper, more direct noise. This first issue is caused by loose components of the coil-over assembly. The best way to diagnose this type of noise is to make sure all of the components of the coil-over assembly are tightened.

1) First, you must understand that the entire "coil-over assembly" is built around the shock body-- the lower bracket is threaded onto the threaded shock body, and is locked in place by a single locking spring perch. On the piston shaft of the shock, there is a bumpstop and dust boot. The spring is held in place by two locking perches (locked against each other) on the shock body. Above the spring is the upper spring mount. On top of that is the pillow-ball upper mount, which has the lower and upper pillow-ball bearing surrounding it. The pillow-ball mount is usually incorporated into the top hat, which is what has the studs built in that bolts through the chassis holes. On McPerson strut applications, the pillow-ball mount is mounted onto the camber plate.

2) Now that you are aware of the miscellaneous parts of a coil-over assembly, this first noise is usually caused by either the locking perches on the shock body being loose, or any of the components above the spring, which is all secured in place on the shock shaft by a single 17mm nut. To access the top 17mm nut, you must remove the damper adjustment knob which is simply threaded onto the very tip of the shock shaft.

3) To tighten the 17mm nut, after the removal of the damper adjustment knob, the top of the shock shaft will be exposed. You will notice there is a 6-sided shape within the top of the piston shaft-- this is to be used for a hex tool of the appropriate size. All of our Megan Racing coil-over damper kits come with this hex tool for this very purpose (as well as to tighten the camber plate allen head bolts for strut applications). Using a closed-end wrench along with this hex tool, tighten the 17mm nut. The typical torque specification for an automotive 17mm bolt is about 40-60 lbs/in. This is a good baseline to aim for, but the critical part to take notice of is to make sure that as you are tightening the 17mm bolt, that the shock shaft is not rotating with the nut-- otherwise, the nut is not actually getting tightened. It is also a good safeguard to use an impact gun after the hex tool and wrench were used to assure that the assembly is tightened up to spec.

ETHERevo10
06-18-2011, 08:02 PM
Yes I know there rust on my hex bolts and my car is dirty. Its been sitting since 2009 :X FYI I pulled that off of megans website. theres more trouble shooting on there. Just search google, megan racing. it was like the 2nd one down with all the info for the coilovers. its like CDK megan something something. Figured I'd just inform you guys if you didn't know

kaoscage
06-27-2011, 07:40 PM
Had them on my 06 SE felt great and I would assume they did just as good of a job with the X.

raz0rbladez909
06-28-2011, 08:15 AM
ETHER is right, almost every Megan coilover I installed had this problem with the top nuts not being properly torqued down, its a quick fix but an annoyance if you are hearing it all the time, you shouldn't be hearing any clanging with your coilovers installed properly.

gearheinz
08-30-2011, 01:25 PM
dont buy megan!!!!

2muchboost
08-30-2011, 03:16 PM
dont buy megan!!!!

I'm glad you posted this. I'm going to un-install mine and sell them ASAP!
Thanks again!

socalturbo
08-30-2011, 03:17 PM
dont buy megan!!!!

I'm glad you posted this. I'm going to un-install mine and sell them ASAP!
Thanks again!

:2funny:

bluaeon
05-13-2012, 09:08 AM
here is my solution to that pesky spring bind...

http://www.fortune-auto.net/apps/webstore/products/show/2631247

edgardpanamanunez
08-14-2012, 12:34 PM
would anyone consider using the megans for track runs or just street. im debating on getting those as well, not looking to spend 2000 dollars on coils but i do want to take my 10 to the track

chuckdashi
08-14-2012, 09:30 PM
I know someone who tracks with the track series Megan's. Thou the springs have been changed to 10k all around.