PDA

View Full Version : Best way to ship a transmission?

Taps
04-21-2011, 10:27 AM
Well I've got the transmission pulled out, now I just need to find a way to send it in to shepherd.
Since I dont feel like spending 125$~ for them to send me a pre-made box, which ways would you guys considering making a box to ship?
I have a few ideas in mind but I'd rather hear from someone whose done this before.
and does anyone know which shipping company has the cheapest freight option.

Skiracer
04-21-2011, 10:33 AM
You can ask one of the local shops to ship it on your behalf. Of course they'll charge you as well.

phoreal
04-21-2011, 10:59 AM
Well I've got the transmission pulled out, now I just need to find a way to send it in to shepherd.
Since I dont feel like spending 125$~ for them to send me a pre-made box, which ways would you guys considering making a box to ship?
I have a few ideas in mind but I'd rather hear from someone whose done this before.
and does anyone know which shipping company has the cheapest freight option.

Honestly its easier to pay for the box from them and return ship it. But if you still dont want to do that just get 2 thick ass boxes, some insalation foam and a couple bags and tryn pack it as best you can. And ship via ups

Massimo Power
04-21-2011, 11:05 AM
Way easier to just pay for the box.. You will end up paying that much for shipping anyways.. lol

Mike W
04-21-2011, 11:09 AM
Their box is one thick box inside another thick box with about 2" between them. The two are separated by foam. We get all kinds of motors and transmissions bought by people from the internets off e-bay and evom. When they get here it looks like smoulering rubble. Like the UPS guys went bowling with it. Imagine the late night store clerks doing the turkey bowling with the frozen turkey and soda bottles... well build your box so it could be tossed down a ramp a couple times. And then reinforce it some more. The Shep box is cheap.

Mike W

jamesinger
04-21-2011, 11:29 AM
you could just put a send to tag on the tranny to shep and label it fragile.Â* Make sure to leave fluids in it!!

Just to be clear, when you pay for the shep box, the shipping is paid, so you are not just buying the box.Â* As someone who has shipped a lot of stuff for work, the box from shep ends up costing very little when you add in the weight of a tranny + the ins. that they won't think your tranny is a frozen turkey bowling ball.

totally worth it!!

OH, but if you are really against getting the box from shep, on the process page of their website, you can see detailed pics of the box...

FUEL
05-09-2011, 12:38 AM
I worked @ UPS.... fond memories of watching guys drop kick packages... or dropping them off the backs of the carts and trucks if they where any kind of heavy... anything over 70lbs is considered over weight by UPS so you will get charged regardless... just get the box from them... it will save you the headaches in case your packing skills fail.

PS... I always advised friends and family not to ship anything breakable with UPS if they could help it... and always always always get the insurance!

evo mr
05-09-2011, 02:10 AM
Or you can go to your local supermarket and get a small wood pallet with a box on it.

EvoVIIIGSR
05-09-2011, 02:45 AM
having recently gone through the shep rebuild process myself via Reese Tuning, I would also reccomend the pre-made box that Shep offers.

flyingscot
12-26-2011, 08:07 AM
having recently gone through the shep rebuild process myself via Reese Tuning, I would also reccomend the pre-made box that Shep offers.
are you sure shep made the box?

silverevo05
12-26-2011, 05:49 PM
I always use UPS. I just don't know why but they always send this chick out to p/u packages O0

https://encrypted-tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSMPm_A3cE6kUHB6dyo34q6qTNL-CbP6xSrjCT95YDqt9K_GVwMzw

pensport
12-26-2011, 06:29 PM
uline.com has boxes for heavy items for a good price... I do not have experience with them but on their website they say can hold some heavy weight!

03fastfamevoVIII
12-27-2011, 04:02 PM
Box in a box! The thick ones. Some foam insulation sheets. Pack that crap tight and tape the corners good! Sent mine fedex to TRE.

Taps
12-27-2011, 04:06 PM
This thing has been shipped months ago, I went ahead and went with shepherds box which worked really good. They send the box out to you you pack the transmission and put it back on the truck. Worked well. Wasn't much of a hassle.

flyingscot
12-27-2011, 05:53 PM
i was joking guys,geez :roll: