PDA

View Full Version : GM 3 PORT or Boost Pill

elemenop
05-09-2011, 10:26 PM
I have the usual mods intake, exhaust, downpipe and LICP

I'm not looking to boost past 23 psi on 91 oct so I wanted to ask if you would do a gm 3port or #65 boost pill and stock solenoid?

what are the

PROS

and

CONS to each?

who's good at tuning each?

oh I searched but it doesnt seem to work too well

GokuSSJ4
05-10-2011, 11:04 AM
Hit up Mike@RRE, I would spent the extra cash and get the AEM solenoid, it is a plug in deal. No splicing
will manipulate your boost like no other, unlike the boost pill which has limitations.

HMatt
05-10-2011, 01:38 PM
Go with a 3-port. AEM or GM, either works. If you get the GM, you can get a plug and play harness from spoolinup so you don't have to cut anything... I found that AFTER I cut my harness... Still a little bitter about that... :(

elemenop
05-10-2011, 04:11 PM
What are the cons to boost pills. Does it boost spike, not as quick responding or what?

does the gm install perfectley in the stock location or does it need a mount?

I'm looking for reliable and stock looking, Any pics

Mike W
05-10-2011, 04:57 PM
Pill/stock solenoid on an 8/9 spike too much. On a X a pill is livable with them having the dual solenoids. I wouldnt bother trying to toon an 8/9 with a stock solenoid and a pill.

For best ECU boost control on an 8/9 you need a 3.0+ bar map sensor ($120-$180 ish) and a 3 port solenoid ($70-$130ish)

I sell an AEM 3 port solenoid (basically a MAC solenoid) that we modify to be PNP for $120 and a Zeitronix 3.5 bar sensor with a bolt on adapter and PNP wire harness for $125... YMMV

In the end, do what your tuner wants you to do and is used to using. Us toonerz hate when people drag shit in from all corners of the internets. You should be axing him this, not the peanut gallery. If you are going to be doing the tuning for it yourself, then you should be well beyond asking this question :-P

Mike W

Mike W
05-10-2011, 05:01 PM
does the gm install perfectley in the stock location or does it need a mount?

I'm looking for reliable and stock looking, Any pics

I think the GM solenoid installs perfectly stock on a GM vehicle where it came stock on :-)

I always wonder about the stock appearing boost control obsession deal. Isnt is super-duper easy to put any boost controller where no one would ever see it? Does anyone have a big problem with cops unbolting their air boxes to look under there? How many EVO owners could pick their stock boost control solenoid out of a lineup?

Mike W

elemenop
05-10-2011, 10:57 PM
:-( sorry I didnt mean to strike a nerve with my noob question. Plus I've read about refs and how meticulous some can be.

Once again I apologize if the question was to noob for you Mike ;) keep your head up though all is good O0

Mike W
05-11-2011, 02:31 AM
And I too apologize that the internet and my smileys victimized you so while answering all questions :-(

Mike W

GokuSSJ4
05-11-2011, 08:22 AM
Hilarious!!!!! Hahahahahaha.....

elemenop
05-11-2011, 10:02 AM
Your correct Mike O0

Ok so the GM is picked over the boost pill because of boost spikes. I'll go with the 3 port then

Thanks for your input Mike and everyone else, I appreciate it

jrevoix
05-11-2011, 01:57 PM
Pill/stock solenoid on an 8/9 spike too much. On a X a pill is livable with them having the dual solenoids. I wouldnt bother trying to toon an 8/9 with a stock solenoid and a pill.

For best ECU boost control on an 8/9 you need a 3.0+ bar map sensor ($120-$180 ish) and a 3 port solenoid ($70-$130ish)

I sell an AEM 3 port solenoid (basically a MAC solenoid) that we modify to be PNP for $120 and a Zeitronix 3.5 bar sensor with a bolt on adapter and PNP wire harness for $125... YMMV

In the end, do what your tuner wants you to do and is used to using. Us toonerz hate when people drag shit in from all corners of the internets. You should be axing him this, not the peanut gallery. If you are going to be doing the tuning for it yourself, then you should be well beyond asking this question :-P
Mike W

OOPS!! So if I went to you to get tuned and I told you I have a Tactrix 3 port and an Omnipower 4bar MAP sensor... ??

aguilar45
05-11-2011, 02:47 PM
BUMP for.....What was the Question again????

jrevoix
05-11-2011, 03:48 PM
^^ it wasn't really a direct question, I am just saying that I have those two items and Mike says that tuners hate when people bring shit from other places or internet... so I was wondering if he would hate it if I took my car to get tuned with those things... that's why I quoted him and put that part of the quote in bold letters.

Mike W
05-11-2011, 04:42 PM
If a customer brings in odd parts usually we toonerz do our best to make it all work together. It is our life.

But if you have not bought anything yet, go with what your tuner likes and is most comfortable with. It usually works out best. We all have our various reasons for using our favorite parts. The "Tactrix" 3 port and Omni 4 bar sensors both dont suck by any means.

Mike W

jrevoix
05-11-2011, 06:01 PM
^^haha it's good to hear they don't suck cause imma' take it to you!!