View Full Version : Review of the Hankook Ventus V12 Evo

trenalsur
06-16-2011, 11:48 PM
Hi everyone,

This review is of the Hankook Ventus V12 Evo

Tire size - 245 40r18.
Vehicle - 2008 Mit Lancer Evo X
Mods - None

My first impression of the tire was a positive one which later turned into utter disappointment. The ride is smooth and quiet, but during hard breaking and aggresive cornering the tire will squeak bloody murder and tend to give out.

Highway noise - The tires are very quiet while driving on the street or freeway. I tested these tires from 35 mph to 130 mph of linear motion and they remained nice and quiet through the whole process. They get an A rating.

Breaking - Breaking is acceptable for what these tires are worth, but they tend to squeak or squeal during hard breaking. Also don't expect to stop on a dime. These tires will take their time stopping. I dodn't have an actual meassurement of how they compare to the stock Advans, but I know I had some hairy moments trying to come to a complete stop. The noise coming from them also adds to the fear of slamming into someone. They get a C rating

Aggressive cornering - These tires have been to ACH three times and all three times they tend to understeer on many if the tighter turns. I tend to push the evo a bit, you know those Top Gear moments. The grip is there somewhat, but it tends to give out in the front before the rear end does. Also the noise is pretty loud coming from the tires. Theres a constant fear of maybe the CHP at the top of the mountain might hear you coming. This gets a C rating

No wet testing.

Sidewall strengh - I'm not a scientist, but the sidewalls feel weak. This might explain the smooth ride and understeer by the sidewall giving in alittle. It feels weird, I can't explain it.

Well thanks everyone for reading my review of the Hankook Ventus V12 Evo. If you DD your evo these tires are okay. Threadware is there. I've put over 800 miles on these in the last three days and they still look new. I took the cheap route and bought these because I wanted to save acouple of dollars, but now looking back I would have gone with a better tire even if it meant spending 300 on each. You do get for what you pay for. I'm very disappointed in all the people that gave this tire a good rating which lead me to believe that these tires were actually a good match for our evos.

R-EVOLUTION
06-17-2011, 12:56 AM
Ima have to disagree with you. I personally love these tires. Yes they are not NT01/NT05 or R888. Also I dont have a problem with noise levels on any roads. Yes they dont have the grip of the above mentioned tires but after doing some research I knew that was the outcome. When I purchased thhese tires I was going for a good DD tire and so far they are doing the job.

I have posted on several threads about these tires but always post that these are good DD tire and dont have the grip of other tires.

mrxgeean
06-17-2011, 01:44 AM
just what i needed to know! thannks!

AlphaKennyBody
06-17-2011, 02:49 AM
Ima have to disagree with you. I personally love these tires. Yes they are not NT01/NT05 or R888. Also I dont have a problem with noise levels on any roads. Yes they dont have the grip of the above mentioned tires but after doing some research I knew that was the outcome. When I purchased thhese tires I was going for a good DD tire and so far they are doing the job.

I have posted on several threads about these tires but always post that these are good DD tire and dont have the grip of other tires.

I think that's what the OP was shooting for... Giving you a FULL personal review on how they "Perform" and such. He did mention that they're an okay Daily Driven tire. I personally would rather ride on Yoko Sdrives than the V12's. Of course NT05 is the Best Bang for your Buck.

alan678
06-17-2011, 03:03 AM
I have the 285/30R18 V12 EVO on my car....no problems, yet...lol

Perry
06-17-2011, 05:17 AM
I have hankook v12's for about 7k miles now they still have 70%+ tread left. They wear pretty slow even with aggressive driving and they are good for DD...outside of that they are fairly shitty for aggressive driving, tires just don't have great grip and they induce some under steer, not to mention they are very very loud when you are cornering hard.

i'm ok with them though, get what you pay for hopefully i can start burning tread faster on them so i can get better tires this time around maybe NT05's or something.

luis!
06-17-2011, 05:56 AM
Good review. I ordered some of these in 255/35/18 for daily driving and have yet to get them mounted to my wheels. Glad to hear they'll last a good while. :)

xmuscle
06-17-2011, 07:58 AM
Braking

R-EVOLUTION
06-17-2011, 08:12 AM

I think that's what the OP was shooting for... Giving you a FULL personal review on how they "Perform" and such. He did mention that they're an okay Daily Driven tire. I personally would rather ride on Yoko Sdrives than the V12's. Of course NT05 is the Best Bang for your Buck.

The thing is not everyone can afford to cash out 600-800 bucks every 3-6 months depending on driving. The NT05 are good tires but they are not the best DD tire if you trying to max out life. Thats why I think that the review doesnt give the tires a chance.

xmuscle
06-17-2011, 08:29 AM

The thing is not everyone can afford to cash out 600-800 bucks every 3-6 months depending on driving. The NT05 are good tires but they are not the best DD tire if you trying to max out life. Thats why I think that the review doesnt give the tires a chance.

+1 - I agree - If i had to DD my Evo anything more that a few miles a day there is no way i would be throwin $1,000 + tires with below 200 tread wear on my car to just burn them up on CA freeways -

i think for a DD these tires would be Great - i have several friends who have these on many different cars and have nothing but good things to say - Plus you cannot beat the price.

Rencii
06-17-2011, 08:35 AM

+1 just cuz RALPHY is recommending Yoko's haha

OP your comparisons of the Ventus V12 to the stock advans isn't exactly fair especially when you're comparing performance. Â* The v12's treadwear is 280 and the stock advans are at 180... 100 treadwear is a big deal in tire compound which has a huge effect on braking distances, laptimes, and general overall grip. Â*Other than that good review =)

Its also VERY true when it comes to tires that the amount you spend is what you get. Â*If you're looking for exceptional performance, be prepared to drop the money for it. Â*As of now i would only recommend the Advan Neova Ad08 or ad07 if you can get them (of course), Direzza z1 Star Spec, Bridgestone RE-11 (probably most expensive), and even (shocker) Falken RT-615K. Â*Surprisingly, falken turned that tire from a super shitty one to a good one from what i've heard. Â*Unfortunately the price went up on those too with the improvement haha

noevo_nomivec
06-17-2011, 08:41 AM
I might be planning on picking some of these just for dding. Man running on rs3 are no bueno. Haha
DD tries are ment to DD that is what it is for.

If you want performance and ballin ass hell get some rs3 like me. Which i regret cause barely hitting 5k on those tires and its probably around 70% thread wear left. Thats just dding. haha

HMatt
06-17-2011, 10:01 AM

I just put on a set of used v12's from phoreal a week or so ago... I think I might have to disagree with you on the SDrive comment. I find they are noticibly more grippy than the yoko's. Based on the tread pattern, I'd say the yoko's should be better wet, but it's fucking cali. It doesn't rain here! HAHA. Really though, they are so similar, I'd just get whatever one you can get for a cheaper price.

At any rate, I'm thinking about trying the nitto nt 555's for my next set. I'll post up a review when I get them on.

AlphaKennyBody
06-17-2011, 12:26 PM
Just for the record.... I've gotten 25k-30k on my nto05s. I'm not saying the v12s are bad I was simply saying that for the best bang the NT05s are hands down one of the better tires for the evo. I agree with Raul and people not able to afford a good set of tires all the time but like I proven you can get good life out of nt05s

Perry
06-17-2011, 05:59 PM

I just put on a set of used v12's from phoreal a week or so ago... I think I might have to disagree with you on the SDrive comment. I find they are noticibly more grippy than the yoko's. Based on the tread pattern, I'd say the yoko's should be better wet, but it's fucking cali. It doesn't rain here! HAHA. Really though, they are so similar, I'd just get whatever one you can get for a cheaper price.

At any rate, I'm thinking about trying the nitto nt 555's for my next set. I'll post up a review when I get them on.

Tread pattern is fine on the v12's but the sidewalls are pretty poor.

jisam
08-12-2011, 11:07 AM
i guess this is great tire for daily use.. : )

RobDizzle
08-12-2011, 11:31 AM
The V12s squeel like bitches way before the limit

KT Motoring
08-12-2011, 02:56 PM
The v12 is a great tire...if you like the stretched look.

HMatt
08-12-2011, 05:08 PM
^Yeah, I find they seem to have a narrower treadwidth than most. I'd get a little rubbing on my old S-Drives, and now I don't get any with these things...

Perry
09-10-2011, 09:49 AM
Just wanted to let you guys know or anyone interested in buying these that one of mine had a sidewall bubble after around 8k miles, with no track use and only a few canyon runs. The sidewalls are pretty weak so be careful with them and my friend also had a sidewall bubble on his shortly after getting them. They have to be replaced if it happens to you so you may want to think twice about the tire if you do any spirited driving at all with them as it may not be worth saving the cash getting this tire, unless you get a warranty or something, but hankook wouldn't factory warranty sidewall bubbles.

335eater
09-10-2011, 05:45 PM
agreed, they are piece of shit tires. try to keep in mind you drive an evo and not a honduh when you decide to be cheap like everyone else on this forum.

HMatt
09-11-2011, 08:43 PM
Well, I got the set I have used because I needed a set of tires and I wanted to try these out before I bought them. They have no bubbles are anything despite being at the end of their life and some track time. I think calling them cheap and pieces of shit are a little harsh.

Now, if hankook won't warranty defective tires with bubbles on the sidewall, now that's bullshit.