PDA

View Full Version : Options for suspension Links

bardabe
06-20-2011, 04:17 PM
Hey Guys I've been doing lots of research on the Evo X Suspension, and well it looks like there is only 3 options for suspension arms for the Evo X. Am I missing something or is it really that small of a market where we have to choose between Taiwanese Links and Heims (Megan racing) a link with bushings that will eventually wear out just like stock (whiteline) and another set of Aluminum Links with brittle threaded links on the ends (Agency Power) for Camber, and we have no real after market toe Links? Reason I ask is because after the Downpipe, and Test Pipe Development I want to get into the suspension work and before i make plans to make suspension links I'd like to know what everyone is running and what options there is besides what i found. any opinions and requests or input of what you guys want would greatly be appreciatedĀ* let's discuss some suspension arms. =)

SleeperEvoX
06-29-2011, 10:07 PM
Hey Guys I've been doing lots of research on the Evo X Suspension, and well it looks like there is only 3 options for suspension arms for the Evo X. Am I missing something or is it really that small of a market where we have to choose between Taiwanese Links and Heims (Megan racing) a link with bushings that will eventually wear out just like stock (whiteline) and another set of Aluminum Links with brittle threaded links on the ends (Agency Power) for Camber, and we have no real after market toe Links? Reason I ask is because after the Downpipe, and Test Pipe Development I want to get into the suspension work and before i make plans to make suspension links I'd like to know what everyone is running and what options there is besides what i found. any opinions and requests or input of what you guys want would greatly be appreciated let's discuss some suspension arms. =)

Not much of a response huh???

I've been doing some research regarding chassis tuning since I've installed Eibach pro's. I was looking into getting a Whiteline RCK and end links with a Robispec RSB . Looking at the white line kit not sure how necessary it is since I was able to get the neg camber down to -1.2 on the rear wheels with an alignment. Also looking into the bump steering roll kit from whiteline. Its difficult to tell how much performance improves with some of these mods as it is pretty subjective process...

bardabe
06-29-2011, 11:46 PM
Yeah i know, kind of sad

The roll center adjustment and bump steer is critical with these cars. main thing that bugs me is that no kits come with eccentric lock out kits. which basically leaves the stock camber bolt in place and with any harsh driving we know those are bound to move. with a proper suspension set up it is a night and day difference these cars handle. from all the reading I've been doing I will be making my own suspension arms out of Chrome molly, and Spherical Bearings, get Eccentric Lock out kits machined, and have the entire car corner balanced and aligned. Maybe I'll even have my own Bumpsteer kit made but that will take some time.

SleeperEvoX
07-01-2011, 10:20 PM
The roll center adjustment and bump steer is critical with these cars. main thing that bugs me is that no kits come with eccentric lock out kits. which basically leaves the stock camber bolt in place and with any harsh driving we know those are bound to move. with a proper suspension set up it is a night and day difference these cars handle. from all the reading I've been doing I will be making my own suspension arms out of Chrome molly, and Spherical Bearings, get Eccentric Lock out kits machined, and have the entire car corner balanced and aligned. Maybe I'll even have my own Bumpsteer kit made but that will take some time.

Yeah your right about that eccentric lock out. I think most guys are more concerned with bling than cornering performance. If you had started a thread about a custom paint job there would be pages of activity by now.
Yeah I 'm stoked you are considering machining some parts. Whats your area?
I'm in san diego keep me posted on the developments as I would love to try out some of your stuff on my X. O0

FUEL
07-03-2011, 02:36 AM
Muellerized Stage +1 .... which is Swift springs, Whiteline RSB and bushings. The cars settings: +2.5 FR/ +1.6 Rear.
Didn't mess with the endlinks or a RCK

SleeperEvoX... do you find with the Eibachs the car bounces more? Scrapes on the driveways? ....when the "Hubby" had his X he had the Eibachs ...the car didn't handle all that great and bounced around a lot while driving.

Do you plan on making endlinks for anyother type cars? Like... Miata's? :) recently installed sway bars on the Miata...the endlinks are puny and look like toothpicks :buck2: ...not to mention they're 14 years old :buck2: I was going to buy some upgraded ones. The two I was considering where the ones from Racing Beat or 949racing... I know... a bit offtopic...but you're talking about making endlinks :)

SleeperEvoX
07-03-2011, 08:04 AM
SleeperEvoX... do you find with the Eibachs the car bounces more? Scrapes on the driveways? ....when the "Hubby" had his X he had the Eibachs ...the car didn't handle all that great and bounced around a lot while driving.

IMO the progressive Eibach springs feel much like stock rolling in normal driving conditions, but they are stiffer in spirited driving/ cornering which does translate to some "bounce" when hitting bumps while cornering. Overall they are an improvement over stock springs but we are not in coilover performance territory... I still need the RSB which should improve the corning even more. Good bang for the buck mods...

My wifes dad own Performance Tire in Mira Mesa he suggested that for my streetability a set up like your Muellerized +1 is prolly the best bang for the buck. The RCK would add the ability to adjust the camber of the rear tires since there isn't much adjustment in the stock arms ( after the eibach drop we couldn't take out all the neg camber with the stock arms but we got really close). The roll kit adjusts caster which makes the steering more responsive a good mod for trackability but for my street driving I'll hold off. For 3-4K$ or so coilovers, sway bars, camber/ caster kits, bushings, and end links would make a killer ^-^

@Fuel IYO how did the handling of your evo change after you put the muellerized kit on? BTW what are you doing up at 0230 posting on the forum?

FUEL
07-03-2011, 03:14 PM
It made a world of difference. The body roll was gone ...it rode a bit stiffer. The understeer was gone. And when the electronics are turned off it's quiet easy to get the car a bit sideways in a controlled slide. .
What I noticed with riding in the Hubby's X over mine is his car bounced a lot. It sat lower then mine also. I can honestly say the Swifts ride and handled better then the Eibachs on his X. I believe it has to do with the Swifts possibly being a higher spring rate.
I do know Muellerized tested out various brands of lowering springs with the stock struts onthe X to get the "right" combo....so the handling and ride quality wasn't compromised.
They offer the RCK also...I do believe adding the RCK, front sway bar and upgraded endlinks with the Swifts will make the X handle just awesome and turn some quick lap times.

bardabe
07-04-2011, 10:16 AM

Yeah your right about that eccentric lock out. I think most guys are more concerned with bling than cornering performance. If you had started a thread about a custom paint job there would be pages of activity by now.
Yeah I 'm stoked you are considering machining some parts. Whats your area?
I'm in san diego keep me posted on the developments as I would love to try out some of your stuff on my X. O0

Yeah no kidding lol. well intakes are selling OK i guess, its a little tough still but not bad. Just had a Dyno Session this weekend with a few Cars to test baseline and gains and we had a 40hp/30tq gain at the wheels. so hopefully sales pick up, if you want to start getting a feeler for my parts the Intake and UICP combo is a good start. I took over 2 months of R&D on it and it paid off very well if i must say.

Suspension links I will start on soon. Right now I have FMIC upgrades coming in so i gotta do some testing on those and get it figured out. once that is in and selling I can start on exhaust, and Downpipe. with all that out of the way it'll be time for sticky time. I have lots of research to do on the suspension components on our cars and I just want to be able to say my suspension links are the best.