PDA

View Full Version : MR 6 speed rebuild

DSVHEVO1
06-27-2011, 10:23 AM
Well, my trans is hangin in there but its starting to feel sloshy. It defintately doesn't like high rpm shifting, it will grind occosionally and sometime i feel like i'm in no mans land.

Hand full of auto x, and track days + ethanol i guess will do it.

Spoke with Shepard Trans and he said he uses a new gear set made in Aussi land and that he can rebuld my six speed with it + change 6th gear so its at lower rpm @ freeway speeds.

Anyone get this rebuild or know of anyone who has and how is it?
Just so you know its not on there website.
He said it would probubly be a better way to go $ wise + i like my six speed.
Thanks

Massimo Power
06-27-2011, 10:28 AM
Search for SN "Taps"

We recently installed a shep trans in his car and he loves it. Not exactly sure which rebuild get got though.

Azian
06-27-2011, 10:30 AM
Check it ;)

http://forums.evolutionm.net/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain/506912-shepherd-transmission-evo-03-06-mr-6-speed-sheptrans-6spd.html

"The Shep upgrade replaces gears 3, 4 and 5. 1 and 2, based on gear width, are supposedly stronger than the 5 speed.

Grenading 4th shouldn't be a problem anymore. However, if you run the 6 speed on the track, I think it's smart to run a tranny cooler since the 6 speed runs almost 1 quart less of fluid than the 5 speed does.

Cost breakdown from Shep e-mail to me is the following:

Pricing will be $1900 for the 3,4,5 gear sets (6 total gears) and $950 for the 4.09 final drive.

Below is an example of what pricing would be if you sent in a working 6 spd. Please note this price can change due to the condition of your core, but we will call with an estimate before performing work.

Synchros, Springs, Forks , keys and seals $335

labor $400

3,4,5 gear set $1,900

4.09 Final drive $950

Total: $3,585

REM finish would add approximately $300"

vortech_g35
06-27-2011, 10:32 AM
I guess it depends on where your future outlook is, but I talked to Shepard when I had my MR. Â*He just told me to get rid of my MR tranny, lol.

DSVHEVO1
06-27-2011, 10:42 AM
Thanks for the info, yikes i didn't realize the final drive gear was that much. Worth it?

I'm thinking the 6 speed will stay! Unless i know the used 5speed i get is in good working order shep said the whole rebuild could be more + the cables ect.

HMatt
06-27-2011, 01:31 PM
Shep claims the final drive upgrade is good to do since it will keep you from having to shift so often and keep you from having to shift into 6th in 90% of racing environments. Also, you'll run a noticibly lower rpm in 6th on the interstate which means less noise and better gas mileage. Overall, very worth the investment since you are already tearing it down anyway.
If you are on a budget, they will do a 3,4 set and leave your stock 5... but I don't remember how much that knocked down the price...

I finally got ahold of a spare 6-speed a little while ago, now I'm just waiting to finish getting the funds together to send it off.

Mike W
06-27-2011, 01:35 PM
Shep also does a 5 speed conversion kit. Pretty much a shifter assy, cables and a mount. Pretty easy to install. Price it out and consider it as an option also.

Mike W

Taps
06-27-2011, 01:39 PM
I did the Shepherd upgrade with out the final drive and im loving it.

DSVHEVO1
06-27-2011, 02:03 PM
I called shep, $2600. for all new gears unless i go with the $950.00 final drive, yikes! Besides the nicer lower rpm at freeway speed, if i understand correctly the new 6th gear would be alot stronger.

Would i use this sixth gear at any track other than Willow springs, Fontana. I don't really gun it in 6th that much and chuckwalla raceway was 3rd and 4th.

05-EVO-GSR
06-27-2011, 11:12 PM
It is cheaper to find a 5 speed, buy a conversion kit and install it than to fix up your 6 speed. Plus, you could probably sell the 6 speed to cover some of the cost or just keep it until the day comes to sell the car.

socalturbo
06-28-2011, 12:50 AM
I'll buy your 6 speed :)