PDA

View Full Version : Rockford Fosgate amp caught on fire

evoxchick
07-15-2011, 07:17 AM
So I was on my lunch break yesterday at work and I was driving down the street to grab a bite. All of a sudden my car started smelling like melting plastic and at first I thought it was a smell coming from outside since I was in an industrial area. Then my radio stopped working! The radio was still on but there was no music playing, just a crackling sound!

The next thing I know, my car starts filling up with smoke! I immediately pulled over and looked for the source where the smoke was coming from. I looked under my seat and then a small explosion occured with some sparks and some flames!

My amp under my seat had shorted out and caught on fire! I quickly ran to a nearby restaurant and yelled for a fire extinguisher and someone came running out behind me with one. We were able to put out the fire and my car is now covered in that white powder!

I called AAA because there was no way I was going to drive that thing again until it was fixed! I had it towed to HB Mitsubishi and of course its not under warranty anymore! I had to file a claim with my insurance and see what they can do to help.

Sam and everyone at HB Mitsubishi said this is the first time they had ever see this. Am I really the only one? I need some input on this!

Skiracer
07-15-2011, 07:23 AM
Was there a fuse on the power wires? That should've prevented the short...

BlackFQ
07-15-2011, 07:25 AM
Damn that is crazy, glad to hear you didn't get hurt and that you were able to get someone to put the fire out ..

evoxchick
07-15-2011, 07:25 AM
I have no idea! I have the SSS package so its the stock radio that came with the car. I assume Mitsubishi would have put that in?

BlackFQ
07-15-2011, 07:26 AM
Lawsuit ?

evolution8mirage
07-15-2011, 07:47 AM
Yup It should of had a fuse. Either it didn't or the amp had two wires exposes that made contact. But glad you are ok

evoxchick
07-15-2011, 07:54 AM
Damn that is crazy, glad to hear you didn't get hurt and that you were able to get someone to put the fire out ..

I know Thanks!! I'm so glad it happened near a restaurant so I knew for a fact they had an extinguisher! i don't know what I would have done had I been on the freeway or somewhere like that! I would have had to resort to calling 911 and there would have been more damage!

evoxchick
07-15-2011, 07:55 AM
I'm gonna see what my insurance can do for me. Hopefully they can fight it for me

Brand0n
07-15-2011, 07:56 AM
PM SENT =)

evoxchick
07-15-2011, 07:59 AM
PM replied

ebevo
07-15-2011, 08:20 AM
glad you weren't hurt and quick thinking on finding a fire extinguisher

keep us updated on how you get this resolved

sucks you must have just crossed the 3yr/36K period :'(

chinoxmk22
07-15-2011, 08:24 AM
Damn thats crazy... Back in the day I had some cheap ass wires that burned up in my stereo system... It stinks so bad, luckily the your damage was minor. I've heard stories of people burning down the car.

evoxchick
07-15-2011, 08:31 AM
glad you weren't hurt and quick thinking on finding a fire extinguisher

keep us updated on how you get this resolved

sucks you must have just crossed the 3yr/36K period :'(

Thanks. I should hear from my insurance today before noon. And yea I'm way passed that warranty. I'm at 55k

evoxchick
07-15-2011, 08:35 AM
Damn thats crazy... Back in the day I had some cheap ass wires that burned up in my stereo system... It stinks so bad, luckily the your damage was minor. I've heard stories of people burning down the car.

It does stink! Yea I think at the very most they'll have to replace my speakers, amp, carpet and seat....but thats at the very most. I don't even think it will be that much.

DTunedEvoX
07-15-2011, 09:36 AM
Damn - what were you bumpin? LOL

evoxchick
07-15-2011, 09:51 AM
Haha I knew someone was going to ask that. I wasn't bumping anything. I had just left my office and I had a Christina Aguilera cd in and I was changing the songs. It wasn't loud at all....maybe at about 20-25! The stereo maxes out at 45!

Wimploki
07-15-2011, 10:59 AM
Haha I knew someone was going to ask that. I wasn't bumping anything. I had just left my office and I had a Christina Aguilera cd in and I was changing the songs. It wasn't loud at all....maybe at about 20-25! The stereo maxes out at 45!

Good thing you were weren't playing Disco Inferno (Burn, Baby, Burn):) Take it easy w/ the Christina Aguilera CD next time...

Glad as well that your not hurt and good luck w/ your insurance claim.

ev0lution
07-15-2011, 01:32 PM
lawsuit... make that $$$$$

EvoIX007
07-15-2011, 01:39 PM
That's intense. Kudos for the quick thinking and keeping it together. No major damage is a plus, but you waking away with nothing is most important. Keep us posted on outcome.

evoxchick
07-15-2011, 05:03 PM
So I got a call from the insurance inspector.... $2k in damages BUT my insurance will only cover the damage caused by the amp.....not the actual amp itself. So I'm basically screwed.

I don't know what lawsuit I have....the part is out of warranty. I don't have a leg to stand on at this point!

I tried calling Rockford Fosgate to see if there was anything they can do for me but unfortunately they only helped DESIGN the system and slapped their name on it. Mitsubishi contracted someone else to actually build the system.

I called Mitsubishi Motors Corp but they close at 4 so I just missed them. I'm gonna call again on Monday and see if there is anything they can do.

I completely understand that the part is out of warranty and that would be acceptable had it just stopped working because I blasted the radio too much; but this is not the case. It caused an electrical fire so I think they should make an exception to the rule.

chinoxmk22
07-15-2011, 05:29 PM
^^ damn that sux http://forums.clubrsx.com/images/smilies/frown_color.gif

HMatt
07-15-2011, 06:06 PM
Wow... well... You might be able to find a stock amp to put in it... there are a few peeps out here that put aftermarket amps in. If not, idk where you are but I'm pretty good with electronics and alot of other guys on here are too... it wouldn't take much to put an aftermarket am in it since all the wires are already ran.

400whp350wtq
07-15-2011, 06:12 PM
lawsuit better take advantage

evoxchick
07-15-2011, 11:27 PM
Yea I'm looking for another amp. The insurance inspector said the wires weren't damaged so it could just be plug and play.....at least thats what I'm hoping. I'll find out what's going to happen on Monday.

If I can find an amp, Ill probably still go through the insurance and have the repair whatever got burned and they also gave HB Mitsubishi an allowance to get the car detail since the interior is COVERED in powder from the fire extinguisher.

ev0lution
07-16-2011, 01:06 AM
the part failing and setting on fire is cause for a lawsuit. call a lawyer at the very least, you'll be able to make a pretty penny i'm sure. whoever made the amp is responsible for its malfunctioning, and it could have killed you, that's a big deal. definitely worth a lawsuit.

evoxchick
07-16-2011, 05:22 PM
the part failing and setting on fire is cause for a lawsuit. call a lawyer at the very least, you'll be able to make a pretty penny i'm sure. whoever made the amp is responsible for its malfunctioning, and it could have killed you, that's a big deal. definitely worth a lawsuit.

Yea you're right. I'll check it out next week.

ccwballer
07-16-2011, 09:53 PM
I wouldn't bank on a lawsuit as a viable option. One it will take time and two you did not sustain any injuries. While the amp very well may have failed and caused the fire, stretching that out into a lawsuit seems a bit frivolous and a magistrate will more than likely see it the same way. Your best bet is to go through your insurance and perhaps try to get a bit more out of them to cover the costs appropriately; that's why we carry insurance right?...to cover costs in case of an emergency. $2k does seem a bit low for what will need to be replaced; I'm thinking the seat, carpeting, amp, and a detail with the related labor will be closer to $3k. Out of curiosity, who is your insurance company? Some are easier to work with than others.

evoxchick
07-18-2011, 07:26 AM
The seat itself didn't get damaged, I was able to put out the fire pretty quickly.

I have Mercury insurance

chinoxmk22
07-18-2011, 08:11 AM
Let us know what happens http://forums.clubrsx.com/images/smilies/smile_color.gif

kambodianboi
07-18-2011, 08:18 AM
Damn, glad your ok. Probably Mitsu had Audi help with the electrical

evoxchick
07-18-2011, 09:25 AM
Damn, glad your ok. Probably Mitsu had Audi help with the electrical

Haha Thanks and that may be true! lol

x[corwyn]
07-18-2011, 01:13 PM
See what happens when you play Christina Aguilera on your radio? Apparently it has a built in suckometer and you overdid it. There should be an approved music list though for safety... To prevent this from happening again, dont play music that sucks.

;)

Glad you are ok. If insurance covers the damage, you should be able to get a decent amp for cheap... and I have seen SSS equipment sold on here for cheap too. Good Luck!

BoostFrenzy
07-18-2011, 08:50 PM
]To prevent this from happening again, dont play music that sucks.

This lol.

Really sucks to hear about though. I would say just ask for appropriate compensations from the manufacturer. Just be like, "I understand it was probably a manufacturing defect, and my insurance is already covering most of the damage. I just want to have what I had before. Nothing more, nothing less."

ev0lution
07-18-2011, 09:34 PM
i still say, at least call the lawyer and ask him if you have a shot at making anything.... why would you not at least do that...?

can't hate for tryin to get that moneyyyy

muddyIX
07-18-2011, 10:13 PM
hmmm hopefully mine doesnt do that lol

well glad youre ok and at least your car didnt go totally up in flames haha

itsoem
07-18-2011, 10:20 PM

I am sure it won't Dereck, just don't bump Justin Bieber too loud lol....

muddyIX
07-18-2011, 10:31 PM

I am sure it won't Dereck, just don't bump Justin Bieber too loud lol....

-___- yeah its pretty hard to resist jammin out to jb

evoxchick
07-19-2011, 06:51 AM
Yes I'm sure Christina Aguilera had a lot to do with it! :tickedoff: lol

I talked to a lawyer and basically since the damage was minimal and I didn't get hurt, no one cares! I guess next time I need to let me car completely go up in flames in order to get everything covered!

I'll try calling Mitsubishi again and hope it will do something.

evoevo
07-19-2011, 08:41 AM
Wow what a crazy story. Your really lucky that it didn't burn the whole car down. Things could have been a lot worse. Hope you get things worked out. Glad your okay!

evoIXnoobie87
07-19-2011, 08:53 AM
So I got a call from the insurance inspector.... $2k in damages BUT my insurance will only cover the damage caused by the amp.....not the actual amp itself. So I'm basically screwed.

I don't know what lawsuit I have....the part is out of warranty. I don't have a leg to stand on at this point!

I tried calling Rockford Fosgate to see if there was anything they can do for me but unfortunately they only helped DESIGN the system and slapped their name on it. Mitsubishi contracted someone else to actually build the system.

I called Mitsubishi Motors Corp but they close at 4 so I just missed them. I'm gonna call again on Monday and see if there is anything they can do.

I completely understand that the part is out of warranty and that would be acceptable had it just stopped working because I blasted the radio too much; but this is not the case. It caused an electrical fire so I think they should make an exception to the rule.

they should cover the amp. Tell them that because its bolted into your car it is considered a part of your car, as well as a part of the sound system and that is covered completely under the insurance guidlines set forth in their insurance agreement you signed when you bought your policy. Dont roll over and let them take advantage of you. get all you can outta them :D

p.s. rockford fosgate anything is just cheap crap from china that melts and burns down. why you think they sell that shiz at best buy...:shrug:

p.p.s. Mercury insurance is notoriously crappy for self-inflicted claims. id switch insurance companies to one with a real agent after your experience with Mercury...just sayin

ckn
07-19-2011, 02:49 PM
they should cover the amp. Tell them that because its bolted into your car it is considered a part of your car, as well as a part of the sound system and that is covered completely under the insurance guidlines set forth in their insurance agreement you signed when you bought your policy. Dont roll over and let them take advantage of you. get all you can outta them :D

p.s. rockford fosgate anything is just cheap crap from china that melts and burns down. why you think they sell that shiz at best buy...:shrug:

p.p.s. Mercury insurance is notoriously crappy for self-inflicted claims. id switch insurance companies to one with a real agent after your experience with Mercury...just sayin

^this.

evoxchick
07-20-2011, 07:13 AM
Their reasoning for not covering the amp is because it caught on fire due to a manufacturers defect and they don't cover manufacturer's defects under their policies. I understand in cases of thinkings breaking but this caught on fire! And I'm not really in a position to switch insurance companies because I'm under my parents' policy. My rates are way cheaper than being on my own!

I learned my lesson, next time I'm just gonna walk away and pretend I didn't see anything and let the whole car go up in flames.....Then they'll have to cover everything! And I'm pretty sure I'd have a lawsuit at that point too!

This whole thing has just been a mess!

evoxchick
07-22-2011, 12:50 PM
Woo I transferred my car over to M1 Autobody and they were able to get everything fixed for me!

HMatt
07-22-2011, 12:53 PM
^oooo.... yeah.... make sure you inspect the work really good before you take off.... They are kinda hit and miss....

evoxchick
07-22-2011, 05:10 PM
Really? I've only heard good things about them. Besides, there is no structural damage to the car....just expensive ass pieces that need to be replaced

XdsEVO8X
07-22-2011, 05:13 PM
whoa sucks to hear about your car, M1 should get you back to driving it real soon O0

evoxchick
07-26-2011, 07:09 PM
I hope so! I miss my Evo! This eclipse just aint cutting it!

ev0lution
07-26-2011, 07:19 PM
^oooo.... yeah.... make sure you inspect the work really good before you take off.... They are kinda hit and miss....

+1

llvllattp@DTM_M1
07-26-2011, 07:47 PM
i guarantee you'll be more then happy.

evoxchick
07-27-2011, 12:05 PM
Haha thanks Matt! I have no reason to doubt you guys!

llvllattp@DTM_M1
07-27-2011, 12:13 PM
no problem...dont be surprised if you have a voltex body kit on there and a voltex wing at no expense ;)

evoxchick
07-27-2011, 04:55 PM
haha oh wow! I think my bf would steal the wing before i even see it!

evoxchick
08-17-2011, 10:21 AM
So I forgot to post but I got my car back on Aug 6. 3 weeks and 3 days later!

XdsEVO8X
08-17-2011, 10:22 AM
how was the service from dtm?

Jperez43evo8mr
08-26-2011, 10:55 AM
Someone did get her car back :D

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c82/1743/IMAG0281.jpg

S2myEVO
08-26-2011, 11:19 AM
evoxchick you're from whittier?? ME TOO!

where did you go to H.S. you better not say Cal Hi! :tickedoff: