PDA

View Full Version : Need new clutch. ACT question and recommendations..

6one9evo
07-15-2011, 08:41 PM
Here's my situation..my stock clutch has finally gone out and was wondering which clutch to get. I dont have any major mods, just all the bolt on you can think of. Its street driven and I don't intend to track my car, but I eventually want to add more power(something around 350-400hp range) and want a clutch that could accommodate that. I've been doing some shopping around and came across a ACT EVO Street Disc Clutch Kit + ACT Streelight Flywheel COMBO - EVO 8/9 on an online shop. Just wondering if anyone has opinions about this particular clutch, or any other suggestions (exedy stage 1 or 2, etc)? Thanks.

ryan78
07-15-2011, 08:45 PM
you cannot go wrong with ACT HDSS clutch based on my experience. great for daily driving and spirited ones as well. i have the stock flywheel still so i cannot comment on the ACT street light flywheel.

Evokid
07-15-2011, 08:55 PM
The ACT would be perfect for you. I'm running the same clutch and love it!

Mike W
07-15-2011, 09:59 PM
Installed package prices here:
http://www.socalevo.net/forum/index.php?topic=92142.0

Any local EVO specialty shop should be able to beat an online shop for the parts price if you are doing the install your self. Shop local!

Mike W

flyingscot
07-16-2011, 05:15 AM
couldnt agree more,keep it in the family

Drifting Away
07-16-2011, 06:43 AM
ACT and shop local , there are a few places to get it done. RRE did mine when i was in a bind, made me happy, car drove/drives amazing. :)

ecko
07-16-2011, 06:50 AM
I've heard good things about the Krayzie Bone Gold Toof Ball'r Deluxe

but they have a "lesser" package at RRE as well

afropuff
07-16-2011, 08:52 AM
Act is great. For the power youre making right now hdss is the way to go. I have that and stovk flywheel, its awesome. My previous setup was a xtss with 6 puck, w fidanza 9lb flywheel. The clutch was a pain the ass to drive but accel with the lightened flywheel was incredible. Same power with the act and stock flywheel now i feel its a little more gimped. If you do go lightened flywheel just know that it may reduce your drivability a little bit as you tend to deccelerate quicker with it.

dastallion951
07-16-2011, 09:41 AM
im runnin that clutch 385/348 hp/tq, daily about 30k on it so far and im running the prolite flywheel, just make sure when you spend the money to have it installed, buy the ss upper and lower clutch lines, itll get rid of the restrictor pill in one of the lines, itll keep the pedal nice n stiff and wont get spongy as your beatin on the car. Other then that 500 mile easy break in, and you should be good to go.

Speed[Y]
07-16-2011, 09:55 AM
I love mine, at the right price thanks to Massimo Power!

6one9evo
07-17-2011, 01:12 PM
Thanks for all the input guys! O0 I live in SD and RRE sounds good but seems a bit far for me. Anyone know of any good shops here in SD/closer to SD?

Mike W
07-17-2011, 01:32 PM
We are here till at least 9pm for car drop off and pick up. Or if you can get here by 11 am you could camp out and wait for it to be done same day. With no traffic late it is a 90 minute drive.

Mike W

ixmrgg
07-17-2011, 02:07 PM
Had an ACT street installed at RRE last month. My car's pretty much stock, and the daily drivability of this setup is great, even with the lightened flywheel. Def get a SS clutch line while you're at it.

BryanF
07-17-2011, 05:21 PM
I know Reese was doing a clutch special a few weeks ago that was compared to all the other shops price wise. Give them a call and see if they can still give you that price.

Bryan

Reese Tuning
07-17-2011, 10:31 PM
We would be happy to get you squared away. Email or PM to set something up.

James

FI
07-17-2011, 10:37 PM
Just got mine done at Reese! Feels fucking amazing. DO IT! I had the SS line installed too... UHHH. I prefer amsoil in da tranny.

drifthobo
07-20-2011, 07:56 PM
Quick question to the people who have the ACT HDSS clutch. Is the engagement on your clutch really close to the floor/firewall? say about 1-1.5 inch from the floor? I press the clutch all the way to the floor and when I depress the pedal it immediately grabs right after 1 inch or so of lifting. Is this common with the hdss or do I have to get some adjustment done?

Reese Tuning
07-21-2011, 11:09 AM
There a few variables with what you are asking. I would guess through the adjustment in the pedal and removing the clutch line pill you could have a decent pedal again.

James

BlackOpsEvo
07-21-2011, 01:56 PM
I got the 3200 ACT Extreme from RRE and it's awesome. Love it. Actually feels way better than stock except that with the removed restrictor it can get jerky so traffic can be a pain but who drives an evo in traffic anyway? That's what a ford focus is for haha.

jamesinger
07-22-2011, 12:50 PM
I got the 3200 ACT Extreme from RRE and it's awesome. Love it. Actually feels way better than stock except that with the removed restrictor it can get jerky so traffic can be a pain but who drives an evo in traffic anyway? That's what a ford focus is for haha.

If you are going over 350 eventually this might be the best route.
The previous owner of my EVO grew up in a drag racing family and he put this clutch in at 25k or so. I am sure he launched it every day until I bought the car at 50k and I drive the car as it should be driven + I track it and at 70k, the RRE ACT set up clutch is still holding strong. My set up is in the 320s but the previous set up was a bit over 360. The 3200 will make you have a buff left calf and it is a bit jerky in stop and go but if my girlfriend is in the car, I can keep it smooth when I have to and my leg is used to the heaviness...

BlackOpsEvo
07-22-2011, 12:53 PM

The previous owner of my EVO grew up in a drag racing family and he put this clutch in at 25k or so. I am sure he launched it every day until I bought the car at 50k and I drive the car as it should be driven + I track it and at 70k, the RRE ACT set up clutch is still holding strong. My set up is in the 320s but the previous set up was a bit over 360. The 3200 will make you have a buff left calf and it is a bit jerky in stop and go but if my girlfriend is in the car, I can keep it smooth when I have to and my leg is used to the heaviness...

That's weird man, everyone keeps talking about the heaviness of the 3200 pedal feel but honestly, I'm not joking I can hardly tell the difference from my stock clutch to the 3200. Maybe it's just me but it really doesn't feel that much different to me

sidewaysevo
07-22-2011, 01:06 PM
I just had a ACT XTSS 3200 installed with a noname flywheel. Pedal pressure feels pretty nice. My twin plate was a lot heavier on the foot. So far I like it. Hit up Massimo Power. They have some pretty good deals.

jamesinger
07-22-2011, 01:52 PM

That's weird man, everyone keeps talking about the heaviness of the 3200 pedal feel but honestly, I'm not joking I can hardly tell the difference from my stock clutch to the 3200. Maybe it's just me but it really doesn't feel that much different to me

I can't compare because I never had the stocker but other EVOs I have driven with the stock clutch seem to be lighter.
Maybe your calf is just so BUFF that you are like, "whatever man." haha.

BlackOpsEvo
07-23-2011, 12:38 AM

I can't compare because I never had the stocker but other EVOs I have driven with the stock clutch seem to be lighter.
Maybe your calf is just so BUFF that you are like, "whatever man." haha.

The stock clutch has a pretty heavy feel compared to other cars I've driven. My 911 had a really light clutch feel, it was pretty sweet.

biggiesacks
08-06-2011, 05:35 PM
stock clutch reminded me of our Ford Focus in pedal effort. The ACT 3200 is only like 50% as hard as my cable actuated 5.0 mustang clutch. Its definitely stiffer then stock but overall really not that bad.