PDA

View Full Version : Trailer hitch install...NOT DIY

mocohead
07-16-2011, 06:46 PM
I bought a trailer hitch from a member here. Since today is carmageddon and I am smack in the middle of the alleged carnage, I decided to install it.

First things first...I did not take pictures. trying to do the job single handed left me disinterested in pictures. sorry!

It is not an easy DIY. After jacking the back up and placing stands, i took the rear wheels off. next step was to remove the muffler. Simply remove the bolts and slide the hangers off.

From there it got complex. Starting on the Driver's side, I took out the two bolts pointing straight up, holding the tow hook to the frame rail. Realizing there were two other bolts holding the tow hook on, I removed the rear fender liner. Two 12mm bolts had to be removed inside the fender and one under the frame rail to loosen the charcoal canister. With the canister moved to the side I could loosen the two 14mm bolts at the top of the tow hook. that allowed it to drop out of the way.

On the passenger's side it got harder. The tow hook has four 14mm bolts on the bottom of the frame rail. take those out. then I removed the fender liner and removed four 12mm bolts holding the ayc pump in place. The rear most bolt was by far the bitch of the job. I then removed the three 14mm bolts holding the tow hook across the top of the frame rail. Once the hook was out I realized there were two bolts on the side of the tow hook that held the hook to the bracket. I did not need to remove the ayc pump at all...

Assembly should involve two people. Having no other adult hands, I used the floor jack to hold the tow hook and hitch up while I threaded the bolts back into the frame rail. With one side up, the other side was easier.
.not easy but easier. With the ayc pump bolted down and passenger fender liner back in, i bolted the charcoal canister back to the frame. Last the fender liner was reinstalled.

With the license plate off I cut a hole for the receiver. This just took a box cutter and some patience. Last step was to put the plate back on.

originally i planned to take the hitch off until I needed it (taking the kids biking and such). I don't think so...

It was a nasty job that took two hours. Hopefully the car's next owner will want a hitch :2funny:

Oh while I had the car in th air, I painted the brake calipers black (hated that brown tint the brembos get after being heated), changed the front rotors to a nice set of slotted rotors, cleaned and waxed the wheels (inside and out) and cleaned the wheel wells.

Just another day in the life of Evo ownership :smitten:

amaev05
07-22-2011, 04:47 PM
Hopefully the car's next owner will want a hitch

/\ yea I'm sure! ha ha wouldn't even try to sell it with a hitch or even let any one know it had one.