PDA

View Full Version : Bad to drive in reverse fast, or for long distance?

kazevo10
08-31-2011, 09:50 PM
So I instead of making a U turn and driving back up my street I decided to reverse up my street, it's slighty up hill. When I got up My street, it smelled like something was burning and there was a sign saying I needed to get my 4wd system serviced, I let my car sit until the the Burnning smell went away and everything was fine after that, anyone know what happened?

jebus27
08-31-2011, 10:18 PM
the turbo was spinning backwards, so the boost was going in through the exhaust..... lol jk

bump for you, never heard of anything like this

Sx 217
08-31-2011, 10:34 PM
lol J ^^^

I never heard that either.

R-EVOLUTION
08-31-2011, 10:39 PM
So I instead of making a U turn and driving back up my street I decided to reverse up my street, it's slighty up hill. When I got up My street, it smelled like something was burning and there was a sign saying I needed to get my 4wd system serviced, I let my car sit until the the Burnning smell went away and everything was fine after that, anyone know what happened?

Never heard of that either.... I think the smell of something burbing might have been your clutch since you were going up hill.

kazevo10
08-31-2011, 10:46 PM
lol i know! it kinda threw me off... especially the "4WD system service" sign, i was going a little fast but still i never heard of this happening before

SAVAGEcorpsman
08-31-2011, 10:48 PM
I went in reverse once and the turbo kicked it and then it wasn't so fun anymore.

evoIXnoobie87
09-01-2011, 08:57 AM
running for extended periods in reverse overheats the reverse gear. there is a little gear that engages when you put the car into reverse, it engages the driveshaft inbetween the normal drive gears causing it to spin in reverse. Thats why you hear a loud whine when you are going in reverse. So, you prolly need service...

...you should prolly not even own an evo either for doing what you did...

CICreations
09-01-2011, 09:04 AM
Is this seriously being entertained?! :?Â* lol I gotta hand it to them, this is a new one for sure.

Edit...
Ok, I have to point this out. The OP has 13 posts since the join date of Oct 2010 and 2 of those posts were new threads about a burning smell coming from the car. Either there's a problem with your car, or with your driving lol. Might want to evaluate one of the two. :mitsu:

ITACHI--619
09-11-2011, 06:56 PM
I personally wouldn't to it again....after knowing it might cause some wear on my Evo O0

luis!
09-13-2011, 08:50 PM
Dude, you're supposed to pull the handbrake, 180 degree turn and keep rolling. Noobs.

luis!
09-13-2011, 09:00 PM
And don't forget to say, haters gonna hate