PDA

View Full Version : Team o Neal rally school-- best driver mod ever!

evoED
09-30-2011, 05:21 PM
Recently I had the opportunity and the funds to do the 4-day class at Team o Neal rally school. The experience was Awesome, but humbling. I thought I had some decent car control having done some auto x and track days but I was wrong. Living in socal my whole life where it doesn't really snow, rain or have a lot of gravel roads I was like a fish out of water on gravel. But here are a couple of "Tools" that I’ve learned:

First, you’re going to "LEFT FOOT BRAKE,” yes the left foot. The advantages of left foot breaking when driving on loose surfaces can go on and on, but basically it faster. If you plan on trying left foot breaking make sure your heal is on the floor when you're braking. If not, your left leg will think the brake pedal is a clutch and get wheel lock up or herky jerky braking

Second, Front Wheel Drive in HARD! God bless AWD! I say this because I never got comfortable with FWD on dirt. Admittedly, I'm a "Lifter," I like to lift off the throttle pedal through a turn, which is bad. You have to have constant throttle pressure on the gas pedal at all times. Yes, you will be breaking using your left foot while stepping on the gas pedal with the right foot at the same time. The sequence through a turn is: constant throttle -> brake (using L Foot) -> turn -> counter steer -> release the brakes

Third, AWD is the nice and stable, you can actually lift off the throttle using an AWD car because it has better balance. It’s easier to drive, the grip make it harder to spin, the sequence through a turn is more like driving on the street, but your still using your left foot to brake.
Last thing about Team o Neal Rally School, is that Littletown, New Hampshire is a boring town. There is absolutely nothing to do after 5 pm there. There plenty to do in the day time if you’re into nature, but it is 3 hours away from Montreal, Canada, 2hours from Burlington, VT and 3 hours from Boston.

RallyBud
09-30-2011, 05:35 PM
I couldn't have said it better myself. I've had the opportunity to attend it on three different occasions thanks to Uncle Sam. Each time was in January so it was snow and ice. I want to head back during the gravel months and attend. I have been there in the summer one time but that was just Chuck Long showing me the school and facilities prior to me contracting the school for some of our armed forces. I use the techniques learned there daily. And anytime I get a rental car for work I disable the ABS fuse and go find a place to do some pendulum turns and get the car sideways. Was Wyatt instructing while you were there? He's a pretty damn cool dude and great driver.

evoED
10-03-2011, 05:41 PM
Yup, Wyatt was there on day 3 and 4, he was mostly on the ATV though working the course, but all the instructors (Mike, Chris, John, etc.) are all super cool. Plus Vana is pretty Hot too. Wyatt's Mazdaspeed 3 rally care was there too and it looked surprisingly well considering it has a habit of catching on fire

The schools definitely a must see if anyones in the area. They seem pretty cool about letting people hang out at the school. When I was there the was guy there checking out the school too and they let him ride along in the back seat of the cars