PDA

View Full Version : How much tuning? And possible dummy pulley

EvoBaja
12-02-2011, 08:38 PM
Im running my evo 8 motor in a sand rail project but right now it is putting out just WAY to much power for my transaxle. I was wondering what exactly needs to be adjusted beside bringing the boost down to 9-10 PSI in order to make it run right and safely... Im assuming timing needs to be advanced but not sure what else.

Also I am not currently going to be running any powersteering and was wondering if there is a dummy pulley or a belt i could buy that would work in bypassing the need for a powersteering pump pulley

Note: AC has already been deleted and would need to put P/S back on when I can afford the mendeola and the 4 seater (as well as 400 horsepower :smitten:)

Thanks guys

amaev05
12-02-2011, 11:48 PM
if you are looking to run low power you could even tune it to run on 89 octane.Â* as far as timing you will be reducing timing. mostly in the peak torque area, 3500-4500-5000rpm for stock turbo. do you have tuning tools?

EvoBaja
12-03-2011, 09:13 PM
I've got a tactrix cable and a crash course in basic evo tuning from Pete at Works Auto. No practice or expirence though. I can pull data though is the problem... Without destroying my trans in the process.

And being able to tune down to 89 oct would be nice on the pocket book. Plan on logging some hours in the dunes.

Any suggestions where to begin? Or abouts the cost of having my computer done?

Unfortunately I love doing things myself so that's the route I will prob go.

amaev05
12-04-2011, 09:24 AM
http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/performanceparts/Mitsubishi/EVO/Engine/Power_Steering_Delete_Kits

taa daa!

EvoBaja
12-04-2011, 03:44 PM
Yup came across that last night. Thanks a lot man appreciate it. Got your pm too... Responded. I wanna tune this sucker!

amaev05
12-06-2011, 06:37 AM
So how far from completion or runningÂ* is this? I want pictures !!! I had thought about puting one into my old long travel suspension ranger. Also would like a 4g power jet boat! Lol

jdmcwestevo1
12-06-2011, 08:38 AM
what tranny are u trying to run that cant handle the power. u need to get a better trans ur just gonna break it.

EvoBaja
12-06-2011, 08:16 PM
So how far from completion or runningÂ* is this? I want pictures !!! I had thought about puting one into my old long travel suspension ranger. Also would like a 4g power jet boat! Lol

Pictures coming in next post. its very near, awaiting the mock up trans to be ready for pick up tomorrow and i can finish fab/weld the motor mounts and cross bracing supports. The 4g boat would be sick but boats are all about torque...thats why a Duramax powered boat would be awesome :-)

what tranny are u trying to run that cant handle the power.Â* u need to get a better trans ur just gonna break it.

Currently no tranny will handle the power for my car because it is setup only to run on a swingaxle transmission which no matter how built up, cannot exceed 275 (HP,TQ...mostly TQ) MAX in offroad conditions. (dragsters can go up to 450 475 range). What i am having built is the fully supported and built VW type one swingaxle with 68 long axles, and downtuning my evo to ~200 HP, 228 TQ. That way i have a highly reliable, super fast and unique car.

So to answer your query...yea i know i need a better trans, but one isnt offered. so i got the best one i can get, and am tuning down my evo so i can run it safely... BUT STILL DO WHEELIES! :-)

EvoBaja
12-06-2011, 08:23 PM
Here are pics... car is unbelievably light...around 700 without motor or passengers. and if i didn't weigh 200 pounds that would be even better.... looks like i need to hit the gym for a better 0-60.... or teach my 110 pound GF to drive better.... I'm gonna go with the former of the two.

Frame before most fabrication I got on it, and the custom made adapter plate and flywheel from KEP.

amaev05
12-08-2011, 08:35 PM
oh there's your problem your trying to run a swing axle.... I wouldn't even run that crap in a street car. do your self a favor and rip that pice of garbage out and convert to IRS with bus trans. you can even pick up a set of fabricated long arms for pretty cheap

EvoBaja
12-09-2011, 12:15 PM
Ive been fabricating for about 7 years now. Offroad is something i know and know very well. down to the science and geometry. I know the swingaxle is not the best choice, a bus is. But a fully built swingaxle is capable of 475 HP on the street. Ive not only seen it, but driven it.

If you look at the second picture down you can see that there is no way to run IRS on this car without completely chopping off the back half and getting a torsion housing. Which is not possible given the car was built based off of 1.5 tubing. This is my best option, unfortunately.

You better believe the next car i build will have the evo up to 425 horse and built PBS or Mendeola transaxle IRS on it. But for now, a built swingaxle, aluminum case, weddle gears, case reinforcement and 3 placement mounting will be fine.

amaev05
12-10-2011, 09:30 AM
I also have been welding and fabricating for 13 years now built a few rails with a friend, one with a 580 hp sr20. and know anything is possible,Â* and with your experience suggesting that shouldn't sound crazy, if that is the rout you want to go that cool. but do you think you would be able to run a little more power if you want to do a high speed run or in a smoother area. you could run a duel tune,

EvoBaja
12-10-2011, 06:45 PM
no i get what your saying. but the difficulty and cost going into all that isnt worth it. you would be better off building a new rail from the ground up. trying to tie in a 2.0 .183 or .250 wall tubing into a car with a 1.5 tubing cross bar in the back is not worth the work and wont work. being mid engine also it would involve pushing the torsion back. its just not worth it. The upper chassis wouldnt work for shock mounts, and it would just be a mess.

Im working with what i got. i got the chassis for cheap and i saw that not a lot of fab was needed to make it work. If i had the garage, the chassis jig and the time i would totally build a chassis from the ground up...

Hey if your not too far your welcome to come by and help out lol. A thirty pack and some jersey mikes would be waitin for ya. haha

amaev05
12-10-2011, 10:06 PM
i would like to check out what you have going on, do you have any more pictures of it in its current state? and any info on what you need to complete the project, my best friend owns a machine shop with everything you could imagine. this is his bread and butter but also does everything from oil industry to real race car stuff.
http://www.innovativemounts.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=42

EvoBaja
12-11-2011, 05:35 PM
Yea I have a ton of pictures with the engine and trans lifted in place. Partially bolted and it looks really good. Nothing seems complicated or difficult. It fits in really nice and clears everywhere except the rear cage. That's going to have to be re fabbed completely.

You can shoot me your number or email in a pm and I can shoot them to you. No one else is following this thread sept you lol. But I guess I can post them on here when I send them to my laptop. I pretty much use my cell for everything.

Btw I think I know that place, I go to CSUF and my cousin lives right there. It's over there off the 57 right?

amaev05
12-11-2011, 09:00 PM
well i think you should post the pictures here even if most of these guys dont know a welder from a hot rock, someone might learn something, or even get inspired. this place is so void of any type of creativity, or actual technical talk or knowledge.

amaev05
12-11-2011, 09:51 PM
and i guarantee once people start seeing some pictures of that fucker in that little rail there will be some more curiosity. might raise the fur of some of the local savages... lol

feel free to email me its my screen name, at yahoo

EvoBaja
12-11-2011, 10:03 PM
Will do. I will get them up in a little bit. I will hit you up soon for sure.

EvoBaja
12-12-2011, 07:42 PM
Progress Pictures. Everything fits pretty well. Just need to cut a few things, build some motor mounts, and rebuild the rear cage to better suit the Evo and the Rhino case trans.

EvoBaja
12-12-2011, 07:59 PM
Though i am most definitely not good at working with microsoft paint....here is an idea of what i would be doing for the motor mounts. I would be using factory Evo motor mounts and building a double sheer to bolt them in. Almost too easy.

I promise my metal work is significantly better than this...lol

amaev05
12-13-2011, 10:04 PM
awesome man looks like you have the major stuff ready to go, however I don't think it would be wise to run the support horizontally right off that tubing you will need to at least run a vertical support from the upper coil mount area. and going to have to re fab the center brace to clear the oil pan. no matter what you do the 4g63 is going to have torque, and in your situation the more solid its mounted the better, considering it was set up for a ultra light vw motor you will be adding a significant amount of weight to the back of it, might need to increase the spring rate on the real coils also.

after reviewing the picture i see that the tranny is solid mounted, so the stock motor mounts are pretty much pointless, i you wana do it right i can probably ask my buddy to give me some round blank's with a 80-90 duromiter urethane inserts and maybe some urethane pads to go between the tranny mount?

and i like the lights, verry festive lol

EvoBaja
12-15-2011, 12:21 AM
The cross member has a pink X through it becuase it's gonna be gone. The vertical mount is the best option be used of the forward and read mount (rear being trans) and no the trans will be bushing mount as well. That was just a rough fit test. To tell u the truth I have decided on full solid or full bushing yet.

Coils aren't purchase yet until I have the car done and weighed. I wanna do full solid mount I think. I just finished all my shcool stuff. (graduated) so I got a lot of time now.

EvoBaja
12-15-2011, 12:29 AM
I should add that I do not have those coils pictured in this thread. I let the dude keep those Junkers cuz he wanted 250 bucks for um. They were beat.

amaev05
12-15-2011, 06:01 AM
Well I have seen the harmonics of a 4 cylinder high reving type motor like the 4g break the welds on some verry expensive rails

EvoBaja
12-15-2011, 10:52 PM
If you know of a suitable soft mount solution let me know. I will pm u my number.