PDA

View Full Version : Helix 272 help

lsvda9
12-29-2011, 09:52 AM
I just picked up some Helix 272 cams with Crower springs and retainers. I wanted to know if I have to also pick up some cam gears for these cams. I read trinydeX's write up on cams about good cams and crappy cams. I just need some one that has experience with these cams to give me some input on the idle quality and the power characteristics of these cams. I just don't want to install these parts on my car and find out I have to get cam gears to get my car to run and perform properly.

Brand0n
12-29-2011, 10:03 AM
I don't think you car would be hindered by not having cam gears, after market cam gears are just going to give you the option to do some minor adjusting to the timing. Correct me if im wrong.

You should talk to some of the vendors about installing everything for you.

Hit up Rick @ rallinspired or Mike w @ Road Race That's your best bet.

what other mods do you have? do you already have aftermarket cams?

lsvda9
12-29-2011, 06:00 PM
I have an intake and a catless turboback exhaust. I will be also installing injectors and a fuel pump when the cams go in.

AlphaKennyBody
12-29-2011, 06:53 PM
LMAO @ Thread... OP I'll shoot you a PM

amaev05
12-29-2011, 10:14 PM
the veeetek wont hit right with out the cam gears. you will need the purple hks cams gear to get that sweet power pop!

pikadosboy
12-29-2011, 10:21 PM
I just picked up some Helix 272 cams with Crower springs and retainers. I wanted to know if I have to also pick up some cam gears for these cams. I read trinydeX's write up on cams about good cams and crappy cams. I just need some one that has experience with these cams to give me some input on the idle quality and the power characteristics of these cams. I just don't want to install these parts on my car and find out I have to get cam gears to get my car to run and perform properly.
i would ditch those cams, get some kelfords or gsc.

lsvda9
12-30-2011, 09:55 AM
I don't bash on hondas. I have one and seen a couple evos get spanked by NA hondas with nitrous. But back to topic. I gotta work with what I got. I can't ditch these cams. I don't have feria to waste.

amaev05
12-30-2011, 10:44 AM
Well in reference to bashing hondas. I can. Since I've had several including a crx that was built for the road corse but also ran low 11"s in the 1/4 and this was over 10 years ago. And have a friend with a honda powerd lotus making 343.7 whp / 242.6 ft-lb all motor on e85.

So to answer your question no you do not need cam gears. Since you can control timing with your stock ecu. The gains you might see would mean sacerficing power somewhere else in the rpm range.
And later if you feel the need to buy some shiney cam gears with the potental to fail, they are quite easy to install with out pulling the cams.
Good luck.

nightwalker
01-04-2012, 06:55 PM
I have those cams. I ran a 12.3@115 mph on a Evo 9 turbo with basic bolt ons and the Helix cams boosting 25 psi. I've had mine for over 140,000 miles. Last checked them 6,000 miles ago when I did my third timing belt job. They still looked great. I've been running 27 psi on them, and they're still rocking hard. No complaints with over 185,000 miles on my car.

A lot of people don't know because they were made early on in the U.S. Evo scene, and only the O.G.'s remember, but they make more power than HKS 272's, and are hollow like the stock cams. Of course Kelfords and GSC's are going to make more power, but the Helix cams (version 2) are great for the price. If you got them used, even better.

You don't need cam gears, or springs with the Helix cams. Just get a proper tune.

lsvda9
01-06-2012, 12:58 PM
That's great info man. Just what I wanted to hear. Yeah I got the V2 cams for a decent price.

amaev05
01-06-2012, 05:23 PM
Cams are easy to install if you can follow directions and have a torque wrench. But you will need a tune, asap.

render
03-31-2012, 05:28 PM
The Helix cams are made at a camshaft factory overseas that actually manufacturers for several other main-line brands.Â* Â*They've been drilled out so they're lighter than a lot of the cast components on the market.Â* They undergo case hardening and stress relieving process and each one is micro-scoped in quality control.Â* 6 different prototypes were made and the production was selected - I ran prototype #4 in my car for 20,000 miles including some pretty hard track driving and testing of other components. You don't need springs, but if your valvetrain is dated, I would recommend them.