PDA

View Full Version : Installed - Federal 595 RS-R

mocohead
01-16-2012, 07:34 AM
Off went the 16k mile old 245/40-18 RS3's and on went 255/35-18 Federal RS-R. The Hankooks lasted well and took the aggressive driving very well. While there was still tread left in the inner 3/4 of the tires, there were some areas of tread separation on the outer shoulder that worried me.

I have only driven two miles on the new tires but so far they are much quieter than the well worn Hankooks. The speedo is reading a little high but that is ok. Once the mold release grease wears off I will report back on grip.

I got the tires from onlinetires.com. some folks have had issues with them but my experience was good. The salesman was nice and knowledgeable, prices fair and the tires arrived at my door in two days. As others have noted, I never got any email confirmation of the order or shipping. But at this point that is irrelevant as I have the tires. As other people observed it may be better to go pick them up in person.

jo3y
01-16-2012, 08:06 AM
Nice review. I picked up a pair of these myself. I need another pair then ill get em mounted and try em myself. But yeah report back in a few to let us know if your still digging em O0

boostinbyyou
01-16-2012, 10:44 AM
Ive had several sets,not bad at all

skrappyyy
01-17-2012, 12:00 PM
How much did they cost for the set??

mocohead
01-17-2012, 12:27 PM
They were $140 each plus CA sales tax and about $50 for delivery so right around $650.

About my earlier comment regarding the tires being quiet...scratch that. Between 30 and 40 they make a resonance that sounds like a bad wheel bearing. It may or may not be worse on the freeway but because there is so much other noise in the Evo on the freeway, it is difficult to tell.

Grip is coming along nicely as they wear-in. After a couple of drive cycles they no longer feel greasy.

Going from the 40 series to 35 seems to yield slightly sharper steering response, but the trade-off is a slightly harsher ride.

evolution8mirage
01-17-2012, 01:41 PM
I have a set and I love them lol

GokuSSJ4
01-17-2012, 02:40 PM
Mission impossible trying to get a new set of RSR595 on a 285/18 size. 😞

S8TN
02-13-2012, 10:01 PM
I'v had a few sets on my s2k and my evo- best bang for the buck-

gsrIXevo
02-13-2012, 10:16 PM
Mission impossible trying to get a new set of RSR595 on a 285/18 size. 😞

call up www.frsport.com (714.515.4001) they should be able to get the set that you are looking for.

mocohead
03-13-2012, 07:17 AM
Update -. Had the chance to do some course validation runs this past weekend at the autocross I was organizing for BMW CCA. The combination of sway bars and these tires yielded a fantastic handling car. It was fast, stable and rotated just right. After some experimentation on course design they showed absolutely no wear which is impressive as heck!!!!

I would say I remain generally happy.

ImEv0
05-11-2012, 03:53 PM
my next set of tires!!!

i currently have nt05 on my gsr and absolutely love it. i'd love to get another set of nt05 but no $$$.

i'm happy to see that everybody is loving the federal.

how bad is the tire noise?

raysevo
05-11-2012, 06:14 PM
I love my federal more then my nto5

FreddysEvolutionIX
05-11-2012, 06:31 PM

+1

A lot of people say the grip is comparable to the NT05 at the fraction of the price. Ice tracked them several times and now I am DD them.

zscwc
05-12-2012, 10:14 AM
Any new info on how they wear out? NT05 was amazing for me but too expensive. Rs3's were great too. I need something I can afford for DD and occasional spirited driving through the canyons. I've been eyeing these federals for a while now. Just waiting on people's personal opinions.

ImEv0
05-14-2012, 04:46 PM

this is good news for me because i think the nt05 is an amazing set of tires. i'm getting excited...

AlphaKennyBody
05-14-2012, 07:22 PM
The NT05's require a High PSI when ran at the track... it's not your norm like other tire that you would want to run at a lower PSI.

Depending no driving style...... Some say RSR > over NT05's and then there's some as NT05 > RSR.

Keep in mind the Rating is a 140 for the RSR vs a 200 for the NT05's..... it's safe to assume that they should/would perform better than the NT05's. I have mix feelings for both tires at a 140 Tires I would rather rock a Advan AD08 which will perform better and last longer than the RS3, RSR's and NT05's

Here's an Unbiased Review of tires that seem to play out in other forums with pretty much the same impression:

http://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/839178-hankook-rs-3-vs-dunlop-z1ss-vs-federal-595-rs-r/

Massimo Power
05-14-2012, 08:14 PM
The NT05's require a High PSI when ran at the track... it's not your norm like other tire that you would want to run at a lower PSI.

Depending no driving style...... Some say RSR > over NT05's and then there's some as NT05 > RSR.

Keep in mind the Rating is a 140 for the RSR vs a 200 for the NT05's..... it's safe to assume that they should/would perform better than the NT05's. I have mix feelings for both tires at a 140 Tires I would rather rock a Advan AD08 which will perform better and last longer than the RS3, RSR's and NT05's

Here's an Unbiased Review of tires that seem to play out in other forums with pretty much the same impression:

http://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/839178-hankook-rs-3-vs-dunlop-z1ss-vs-federal-595-rs-r/

The RSR's definitely have more grip than the NT05. That's the reason they are rated at 140 treadwear compared to the NT05's 200, that's why they are awesome for the price, and that's why they are all back-ordered all the time. The Compound on the NT05 is harder than the federal making it less grippy but last slightly longer. The contact patch the NT05 has on the ground as well as the sidewall stiffness helps initial turn in feel of the tire however if you are actually going fast, they do tend to get hot and greasy faster than the RS3 and the RSR which made it hell since once the tires start losing grip, temps rocket and so does PSI. When doing our testing at the track we have found that the NT05 compared to the RS3 and the RSR would actually need about one to two PSI less compared to the other tires when hot in order to have optimum grip for our setup. As for dead on lap times. Fastest laps have been on RS3 and RSR and AD08 in that order.

RSR's do have alot of road noise but it is comparable to the NT05. If I was daily driving the car i would stick to something like the NT05 if you have the money. If not, then the 595ss at 240 treadwear are not too bad especially at about $80 a tire. If you want a track street tire and you don't care about wear. go with RS3 or 595rsr. If you want a R-compound, go with NT01 :)

Some info we have acquired during testing:

Best Hot PSI For Tires:
NT01 Around 34psi Hot
RS3 Around 36psi Hot
RSR Around 36psi Hot
NT05 Around 34psi Hot
595SS Around 34psi Hot

Results may vary due to vehicle setup however you can try and aim for these and see where it takes you.Â* O0

Massimo Power
05-14-2012, 08:17 PM
One thing to note also is that the AD08 is a very expensive yet stable tire. That's what i love about it. It gives consistent feedback and slowly drops off when it over heats. Every other tire listed above is very finicky about PSI and temp. If you go slightly over your optimum pressure expect a huge reduction in grip.

I doubt any of this would really matter when daily driving or even canyon running but just some info.. :)

AlphaKennyBody
05-14-2012, 08:28 PM
Yeah completely agree with you up there. Thanks for the input =)

The AD08's may cost more but you get more tire in the long run.... They seem to last longer than all the tires listed above. The RS3's are an amazing tire from my experience but of course my all time fav is a NT01 haha nothing touches that until you get into some R comps.

From my experience... I ran my NT05's at 40 hot and they held great and didn't over work the tire nor get them greasy real quick. My car is more of a DD than a dedicated track car so the NT05's were best fitted for me. They're aren't the BEST tire for the track but it does get the work done and can assure you they will last fine for DD driving with occational track time. But I'm sure people should know, that no matter what tire you run, suspension has an effect on how well the tire performs..... We can go on and on but I'll leave it at that. O0

Azian
05-14-2012, 09:02 PM
Some info we have acquired during testing:

Best Hot PSI For Tires:
NT01 Around 34psi Hot
RS3 Around 36psi Hot
RSR Around 36psi Hot
NT05 Around 34psi Hot
595SS Around 34psi Hot

Results may vary due to vehicle setup however you can try and aim for these and see where it takes you.Â* O0
Of the tires mentioned, the RS3's probably require the highest "hot" pressure because of the soft sidewall. You can also compensate by running more camber on them as well (which will cause any tire to wear insanely fast if daily driven). I agree as well that in the group of tires mentioned, the federal 595ss and nt05 would be the best for street duty. Of course either would be great for a first time tracker.

Yeah completely agree with you up there. Thanks for the input =)

The AD08's may cost more but you get more tire in the long run.... They seem to last longer than all the tires listed above. The RS3's are an amazing tire from my experience but of course my all time fav is a NT01 haha nothing touches that until you get into some R comps.

From my experience... I ran my NT05's at 40 hot and they held great and didn't over work the tire nor get them greasy real quick. My car is more of a DD than a dedicated track car so the NT05's were best fitted for me. They're aren't the BEST tire for the track but it does get the work done and can assure you they will last fine for DD driving with occational track time. But I'm sure people should know, that no matter what tire you run, suspension has an effect on how well the tire performs..... We can go on and on but I'll leave it at that. O0
When did you track on NT05's? NT01's are R-Comps FYI (probably one of the best as well). The hugest effect on how a tire performs is probably driver IMHO. You can have a great street tire, but with a driver that overdrives the car and goes ridiculously late into the braking zone, any tire can be considered "bad" because a poor driver will overheat a tire very quickly. As you improve as a driver, you will learn to modulate everything to make it last longer, for example brakes and tires. A new driver will make both of those wear out very quickly because they will go a full 20-30min session when the tire already threw in the white towel half way through the session. I can go on and on about this but i'll start going off topic and get a little too technical for some people in here :crazy2:

o-townFLA
05-14-2012, 09:29 PM
Here's the link to a old review I made...

http://www.socalevo.net/forum/index.php?topic=100988.0

Eat your heart out...

AlphaKennyBody
05-14-2012, 09:32 PM
Ben, been to a few... 2-3 track days this year. Gone with the Z club, BMW SCCA and Private invite (Friend Brought me along)

I Even tracked the car on the stock tires so I have my share.

Massimo Power
05-14-2012, 09:54 PM
^ pics? =D

AlphaKennyBody
05-14-2012, 10:05 PM
I dont have any pics on my new laptop, I think I have pics on my external if I find them I'll post along with some go pro videos.

Massimo Power
05-14-2012, 10:07 PM
Yeeeaaaaa

Massimo Power
05-14-2012, 10:08 PM
They better not all be from that dsport thing with the pro driver ;)

AlphaKennyBody
05-14-2012, 10:15 PM
:mitsu:

Azian
05-15-2012, 06:27 AM
Nope... I have some pics somewhere and a go pro... I dont even have those pics nor video anymore. I was looking for those the other day for proposal submission.

If not I should be out at the June 4th Event if I had funds and the car is done.... It would be interesting to see how the car performs.
track event on a monday lol?

GokuSSJ4
05-15-2012, 10:09 AM

used to be "best bang for the buck" prices have dramatically increase, since the tires have become quite popular. Aside the fact that there always back order and not available in all different sizes. I rather look for an alternative choice.
Running as a daily 275/18 Hankook Evo... No where near as grippy, but for a daily driver, it will do!

stormbird
06-13-2012, 09:23 PM
Just got a set of the Federal RSR's for the Talon from onlinetires.com Only $103 for 225/45-17. we'll see how I like them and then think about running the same tire on the Evo. Not sure if I want to run the 255/35-18 though as I'm worried about potholes and such.

1wilman
07-18-2012, 09:24 PM
bump

speedracer2169
08-01-2012, 08:29 AM
Off went the 16k mile old 245/40-18 RS3's and on went 255/35-18 Federal RS-R. The Hankooks lasted well and took the aggressive driving very well. While there was still tread left in the inner 3/4 of the tires, there were some areas of tread separation on the outer shoulder that worried me.

I have only driven two miles on the new tires but so far they are much quieter than the well worn Hankooks. The speedo is reading a little high but that is ok. Once the mold release grease wears off I will report back on grip.

I got the tires from onlinetires.com. some folks have had issues with them but my experience was good. The salesman was nice and knowledgeable, prices fair and the tires arrived at my door in two days. As others have noted, I never got any email confirmation of the order or shipping. But at this point that is irrelevant as I have the tires. As other people observed it may be better to go pick them up in person.

Glad your buy went well, if you have any issues call me, my extension is 1545