PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Evo X GSR. Tune with HFC?

Shwab
02-01-2012, 02:08 PM
Hey guys. I have a 2011 Evo X GSR with an ETS v2 Quiet Exhaust (cat-back) on it. I'm thinking about putting on the ETS HFC (not test pipe) and am curious as to how important a tune will be once I put the HFC on. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!! :uglystupid2:

DTunedEvoX
02-01-2012, 06:03 PM
While you can get away with NOT having a tune; if you wanted to extract the most power from your modifications a tune is definitely important.
You might be overboosting with the increased airflow going thru the exhaust; a tune is a win/win - you get more Horsepower and make sure everything is in check.
Might want to get a few more parts together then go for your tune.

Shwab
02-01-2012, 07:45 PM
Thanks for the quick response! What parts would you recommend? This car is my DD and I live in Los Angeles so I'm not trying to attract TOO much attention (though I wouldn't mind if the car got a bit louder O0;).

Also, I have the car as a 4-year lease at the moment (though I would like to eventually buy-it-out) and in the event that I don't end up buying the car I would love to be able to sell the aftermarket parts and throw back on the stock setup.

On the same topic, I've heard there is a way to have two maps for tunes so when I take it back to the dealer for service I don't get shafted.

I threw quite a few details at you, but any bit of information helps! Thanks in advance!

DTunedEvoX
02-02-2012, 12:13 AM
Thanks for the quick response! What parts would you recommend? This car is my DD and I live in Los Angeles so I'm not trying to attract TOO much attention (though I wouldn't mind if the car got a bit louder O0;).

Also, I have the car as a 4-year lease at the moment (though I would like to eventually buy-it-out) and in the event that I don't end up buying the car I would love to be able to sell the aftermarket parts and throw back on the stock setup.

On the same topic, I've heard there is a way to have two maps for tunes so when I take it back to the dealer for service I don't get shafted.

I threw quite a few details at you, but any bit of information helps! Thanks in advance!

All good my brotha - were all here to help! I'm in the Los Angeles area too - in the SFV so CHP/Cops are always an issue.
But to answer your questions - It depends on your goals. Along with your Catback & HFC if you go that route I suggest at the very least:
Drop in Air-Filter (Stealthy and the gains are about = to that of a full intake once tuned)
Upper Intercooler Pipe (Stealthy and looks OEM if you go for a matte black UICP)
GM 3-Port (Looks OEM once installed)
All 3 of these supporting mods are fairly cheap and would help response and your tune that much more better AND be stealthy - damn near any law enforcement can ask you to open up your engine bay and would be hard pressed to say anything is aftermarket. No attention there sir.

Yes some tuners can give you the ability to have 2 maps; this is to be discussed with your tuner.
Or if you have a laptop (or can borrow anyone elses); you could invest in a Tactrix Cable and the software to be able to flash back to "stock" in the event you want to go to the dealer for service or "whatever" ...

Check out my blog @ DTunedEvoX.Tumblr.Com or my Build and tune thread for some ideas here :
http://www.socalevo.net/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=37&topic=115758.msg8272782#msg8272782
Good luck and let us know what you decide to do!

RALLInspired
02-02-2012, 11:58 AM
When it comes to dual mapping the dealership will know the ECU has been modified because your ECU ID code will not match up as a result of the patch.Â* Most tuners do not have access to the 2011 dual map feature as it has not been publicly released.Â* As fat as tuning is concerned i would also recommend a drop in filter.Â* Once you throw a HFC on there you will noticed a change in boost.Â* Exhausts tend to cause the Evo Xs to overboost when not tuned.Â* Though it not 100% needed to tune i would tell you it HIGHLY recommended.Â* Even at that the increase in HP,TQ, and MPG are worth the cost of tuning alone over most modifications that cost twice as much.Â* If you need help or direction we'd be more than happy to assist whether or not we are the ones that actually work on your car.Â* Call or text the number in my sig.Â* Good luck.

Rick B.

Killmode
06-02-2012, 02:03 PM
Drop in filter, 3-port, uicp , hfc, tune.