PDA

View Full Version : Big Willow 2-4-12 Recap

SleeperEvoX
02-05-2012, 02:12 PM
For my first track day, I went to willow spring "big track" yesterday. I must say it was a blast!! During the drivers meeting I was looking out the window at the advance group run and was thinking #%@* they're hauling ass out there!! I had some time before the first session, so I walked around an meet some cool peeps. Harry was running his evo x in the pit next to me and Steve was running his blue ralliart too. Getting out there for the first runm I was a little apprehensive not knowing the track or what to expect but the first session was behind the instructor so I got aquainted with the line. During the second session without the instructor I started to get used to the track speeds and began to realize that I was getting stuck behind other cars a lot and having to pass a lot of traffic in the zones a lot so I decided to move up into the green group for the third session.
After the first lap, I could feel my tires start to get sticky and I really started to chuck it into the corners getting to the point of the rear end getting a little loose (AWC OFF OFF/ S-Sport mode). By the third lap I was getting into a rhythm and passing some cars when my sst began to overheat and It shut down on me. I let it cool and got in the pit and checked my transponder time. I ran a 1:47 before the sst problem. I reviewed the track lines with harry who was running in the black group (1:30 ish times) and I realized that I could shave a few seconds with some changes.

On the fourth session I really wanted to improve so I was more aggressive and I turned a 1:43 on the third lap when the sst reared it ugly head again shutting down my day. I really think if I had the fourth and fifth lap to build on I could have broken the 1:40 mark
All I could think about driving home was how soon can I get back out there... I had the time of my life, the awesome cars out there, the comraderie, and adrenaline. Man I'm hooked...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjGN5n5yxT4&list=UUczv-rXdG-Fy3o79dvwdw1Q&index=1&feature=plcp

Thanks to Harry and Steve who helped me out and to ExtremeSpeed for organizing the event. I will be back after I sort out my SST issue!!!

littlejap33
02-05-2012, 02:34 PM
Good to hear you had a blast at the track. Ill see you out there in march!

SleeperEvoX
02-05-2012, 03:29 PM
Good to hear you had a blast at the track. Ill see you out there in march!

You got it man! O0

flyingscot
02-06-2012, 07:19 AM
All I could think about driving home was how soon can I get back out there... I had the time of my life,

yup that sounds about right

The Jake
02-06-2012, 07:51 AM
You have officially become addicted to tracking your Evo. All it takes is tracking one time then your fucked. Lol

It was a good day. I had fun. =]

2muchboost
02-06-2012, 08:30 AM
Glad you had a good time!Â* Its definitely very addicting!Â* lol
Sorry I never got a chance to meet up with you, i was having some technical difficulties with my brakes for most of the dayÂ* :/

About your SST overheating. Call RRE and get them to setup a 2nd cooler on your car. I have a 2nd cooler and had 0 issues with overheating. Well worth the investment. O0

concept11253
02-06-2012, 10:16 AM
I didn't realize people from sce were there! I'm sorry I didn't get to meet any of you guys. I was there for my second time at the track in a black evo with a buddy for his first time with a silver wrx. I kept having problems with my mil spec tb sticking and my oil return line leaking. It seems like evos were having the most problems haha. I saw a white Evo broken down on the track in two different sessions.

The Jake
02-06-2012, 10:41 AM
Stupid Evos...

sstevojr
02-16-2012, 03:28 PM
Hey Nate,
I didn't see this post earlier, glad you had a better day than me :\
On question, you are running e85 yeah, do you always keep the boost so low (23psi); was that a "track map", or part of your fueling issues safety margin?
Hope to see you on 3/24!

SleeperEvoX
02-16-2012, 08:29 PM
Hey Nate,
I didn't see this post earlier, glad you had a better day than me :\
On question, you are running e85 yeah, do you always keep the boost so low (23psi); was that a "track map", or part of your fueling issues safety margin?
Hope to see you on 3/24!

Better day... could have been better if my tranny wasn't overheating. I left after the fourth session.
On the E85 map my boost isn't really that low, it is actually at 28 psi but the torque app read it thru the ecu. My stand alone gauge was reading 28 psi on the straits.
Although, I will tune a track map for the e85 map with 24 psi after I get my turbo upgrade.
Yeah see you there on the 24 fo sho. O0

Pure EvoIX
02-16-2012, 09:20 PM
Im glad you had a great time. Good to hear more and more new people tracking their evos.

Check this video out. It was me at WSIR last year. Might help you a bit with lines, braking points, speeds.
1:33.759.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9oh98JawuY&feature=g-upl&context=G24032fcAUAAAAAAAEAA

Can't wait to go back to this track. I believe there is a 1:31 in the car.

SleeperEvoX
02-17-2012, 10:03 AM
Im glad you had a great time. Good to hear more and more new people tracking their evos.

Check this video out. It was me at WSIR last year. Might help you a bit with lines, braking points, speeds.

Hey thanks for the heads up. I noticed I took 3-4-5 a little different than you and I already was thinking there was a better line through there. Good stuff O0
I'll give it shot this weekend.