PDA

View Full Version : WORKS vs TWM Short Shifter

hurstnova350
02-13-2012, 12:48 AM
Anyone have any thoughts or input on which one is the better product? I had a WORKS before on my old Evo X and loved it, but am considering going TWM this time around. Is the TWM worth the extra $?

evo-lution23
02-13-2012, 01:08 AM
B&M makes a really good short throw too ... just putting it out there :-)

blkside
02-13-2012, 01:24 AM
Ive looked at the TWM and they seem to have the highest quality all around shifter. I wouldnt just get the short shift kit, Im going to get the entire cage setup.

hurstnova350
02-13-2012, 02:35 PM
B&M makes a really good short throw too ... just putting it out there :-)

I didn't even know they made one for the Evo X, Ill look into it

hurstnova350
02-13-2012, 02:37 PM
Ive looked at the TWM and they seem to have the highest quality all around shifter. I wouldnt just get the short shift kit, Im going to get the entire cage setup.

Yea I saw that they came out with the cage set up...I may just wait and save for that, it looks awesome!

silvrEVOIXn818
02-13-2012, 03:07 PM
http://forums.evolutionm.net/vendor-service-parts-tuning-review/510183-works-short-shifter-vs-twm-short-shifter.html

hurstnova350
02-13-2012, 05:32 PM
http://forums.evolutionm.net/vendor-service-parts-tuning-review/510183-works-short-shifter-vs-twm-short-shifter.html

awesome, sorry I did not see this sooner!

genrec
02-13-2012, 08:43 PM
I was consdiering the WORKS shifter myself. But a very well known shop her in SoCal, not mentioning names, told me don't a short shifter. Spoke of some issues, over my head why it was non functional. Can anyone vouch to this?

hurstnova350
02-17-2012, 07:40 PM
I was consdiering the WORKS shifter myself. But a very well known shop her in SoCal, not mentioning names, told me don't a short shifter. Spoke of some issues, over my head why it was non functional. Can anyone vouch to this?

I did have the WORKS installed on my old 08 Evo X and LOVED it.Â* I think it may be just a matter of personal preference.Â* I like having a small throw in between gears personally.

supraman
03-19-2012, 09:22 PM
I just installed the Works short shifter as well as the console bushings, cable bushings (in the engine bay) and the AMS shifter boot brass bushing.

What an amazing difference. This is basically how this car should have been from the factory given that everything else on it is so performance oriented. Some highlights:

* Super precise shifts
* Shorter throw (any shorter than this I wouldn't like, i feel it's perfect)
* Crisp engagement between gears and shift gates
* No vibrations or change in comfort
* Shifter is solid in movement -- no more slack or rubbery feeling

It's my first mod to the X and would do it first all over again if I had to do.

ericmie
04-20-2012, 03:43 AM
i got the WORKS!Feel great,but for the Base bushings, Cable bushings dont get WORKS.i got the WORKS KIT.but the Base bushings, Cable bushings broke in 2 weeks.for the Base bushings, Cable bushings what i say is AMS FTW

supraman
04-20-2012, 07:33 AM
i got the WORKS!Feel great,but for the Base bushings, Cable bushings dont get WORKS.i got the WORKS KIT.but the Base bushings, Cable bushings broke in 2 weeks.for the Base bushings, Cable bushings what i say is AMS FTW

Good heads up man...I will check mine next time i get the console apart.

BoostFrenzy
04-22-2012, 03:56 AM
I have a TWM cage setup with AMS underhood and the feel is very precise. But I will note, you need some BA lubrication to keep it feeling that way. I just recently redid all the bushings with some DuPont Krytox performance lube and repositioned my shifter cable bracket and it feels AMAZING now. This lube is expensive, but I highly recommend looking into it and buying a tube.

supraman
04-24-2012, 06:07 AM
I have a TWM cage setup with AMS underhood and the feel is very precise. But I will note, you need some BA lubrication to keep it feeling that way. I just recently redid all the bushings with some DuPont Krytox performance lube and repositioned my shifter cable bracket and it feels AMAZING now. This lube is expensive, but I highly recommend looking into it and buying a tube.

Dude that is some expensive ass lube. It's ~ $60 for a little tube. Danggggggggggggg!

Also, can you elaborate on how you "repositioned" the shifter cable?

Thanks

BoostFrenzy
04-24-2012, 11:47 AM

Dude that is some expensive ass lube. It's ~ $60 for a little tube. Danggggggggggggg!

Also, can you elaborate on how you "repositioned" the shifter cable?

Thanks

I know, but it is for sure worth it. A little goes a long way with it and it is apparently going to last 2 years in between lubes.

As far as adjusting the bracket:
These 2 bolts on the transmission (Just underneath the intake snorkel) hold one of the brackets to the transmission. The bracket is slotted so it may be moved left or right depending on which gears you are having difficulty with.
http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg52/scaled.php?server=52&filename=screenshot20120424at113.png&res=landing

From looking at the engine bay:
Left - Easier 1-2 and marginally better 3-4 shifting
Right - Easier 5 and reverse shifting.
And yes, each movement affects the other adversely.

There is another adjustment bracket too and I have yet to mess around with it as there is very little information on it.

supraman
04-24-2012, 03:09 PM
Thanks for the info man. Will give it a try.