PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Evo X GSR 5th Gear Fwy Rattle

Shwab
02-13-2012, 01:40 PM
Hey guys! I've got about 4K miles on my 2011 Evo X GSR and I've been noticing this for about the past 2K. As soon as I hit about 60+ on the fwy in 5th gear, I get this weird rattle coming from the shifter. If I grab the shifter and hold it slightly to one side, the rattling stops. As soon as I let go, it starts again. The ratting also becomes louder on smooth acceleration.

I've done a little bit of reading on the EVO X forums and apparently a bunch of people are having this problem. Below are some temporary solution I found discussed on the forums, but it would be nice to get some more opinions. Thanks!

Temporary solution(s): "My temporary solution, I have 2 so far but the one where you rotate the cable 180 degree I do not recommend as that it makes shifting to 2 and 3 a bit more notchy but it eliminates the noise 100%. The tie strap fix is only good if you are able to find the perfect position and pull very hard. The noise for that fix went away 80% of the time. The 20% of the time that didn't go away you just nudge the shift knob to the right a little and then the tie strap will fall into place and remain quiet. I have a third solution coming your way and I'll post it. It involves a rubber band and it's good till the rubber band snaps and that can either take years, months, or weeks depending on how much tension you put on the rubber band and the weather." -raytrix

diego88
02-14-2012, 12:01 AM
any pics of this how-to? it didnt use to bother me but its gotten louder over time.

Shwab
02-14-2012, 04:42 PM
Here's a link to the thread: http://forums.evolutionm.net/evo-x-general/468566-evo-x-gsr-5th-gear-shift-cable-rattle-issue-caught-video.html

Has anyone taken their car to the dealer for this and had them fix it?

socalturbo
02-14-2012, 04:46 PM
if you guys are under warranty why not just go?

Shwab
02-14-2012, 04:58 PM

Always a trek for me to get to the dealer and their service department is by no means the most efficient one I've ever been to haha. I'll be sure to mention it to them when I'm in there for a service.

sosojeff1
07-23-2012, 11:08 AM

i took it in and the guy said "oh thats common especially in EVO's" so i just ended up doing it myself. all i did was twist the cable until there was no play and used needle nose pliers to snap it back in

EvoTech9
07-25-2012, 08:55 PM
The problem is the cable portion of the shifter cable is vibrating inside the sheath. It was a common issue with the 3000GT back when. i know the dealer has a solution for this problem

stormbird
08-16-2012, 11:58 AM
I just did the 180deg twist fix yesterday. Shifting seems the same as always but no more buzz in 5th gear! Should've done this ages ago. :uglystupid2:

I am surprised though that there is no safety pin holding the cable on though.