PDA

View Full Version : whine from tranny when down shifting

dannieman
04-27-2012, 12:13 AM
i have an 06 evo9 5spd with 94k miles... the only mods are an hks cat back, hks intake and a act street clutch and fly wheel which was installed at 25k miles. while exiting the freeway i downshifted into 4th and while letting go of the clutch i heard an unusual whining noise that i have never heard before. down shifted to third then let off the clutch slowly and again heard the whining noise. decided to coast in neutral until i got to the stop light. while accelerating from a stop i didnt feel any difference in shifting from 1 thru 5 but as i down shifted i still heard the whining noise. anyone know what the problem is? i have a feeling a tranny rebuild is the only solution.Â* :'(

AlphaKennyBody
04-27-2012, 12:42 AM
First off..... It take the load off the trans and clutch by rev Matching when downshifting.... What your doing is using your clutch to slowly engage the trans therefore the reason why you hear whining. Try that and if there's still a whine then you officially have drivetrain issues.

dannieman
04-27-2012, 12:59 AM
i usually do rev match when i downshift, letting the clutch go slowly in 3rd gear was just a test to see if it whined again and if i wasnt crazy. when i first heard the whine i was downshifting from 5th to 4th while rev matching. ill check again tomorrow during the day cause its 1 am right now.

AlphaKennyBody
04-27-2012, 05:11 AM
If your rev matching correctly, you shouldn't hear a whine as your Perfect MATCHING Engine and Trans speed meaning there is limited friction to head the whine. Now if you Rev but then STILL slipp slowly then you will head a slight whine..... Bring it to your local meet/shop and have them check it out.

Residue
04-29-2012, 12:12 AM
Could be your transfer case (death whine)? Take it to RRE or another evo shop and have them take a listen

AlphaKennyBody
04-29-2012, 12:45 AM
You would hear Transfer case at all times not just when down shifting.

04-29-2012, 12:21 PM
yeah you would deff know if it was the t case, did you try flushing your tranny fluids

dannieman
05-02-2012, 03:19 PM
ive been lagging it with school taking up most of my time and havent had time to work on the car but ill keep you guys posted after i flush the tranny fluids

dannieman
05-18-2012, 11:13 PM
flushed the tranny fluids and put in some MT85. when inspecting the drain plug, i didnt see any chunks of metal just the normal amount of shavings i usually see when i change the tranny fluid. there is still a whine when letting off the clutch. but now it wont go into 1st or 2nd gear when moving. asked a couple friends about my problem and they said my 1st and 2nd synchros are going out but no idea why it whines. taking it to RRE sometime next week.

EVOcrazy
05-19-2012, 04:15 AM
I'm not sure 1st gear has synchros. Will be interested to hear what happened. Good luck.

dannieman
01-25-2013, 09:24 PM
damn i haven't been on the forums in awhile. well instead of leaving you guys in the dark ill tie up some loose ends. turns out the rivets on the clutch plate ripped out. i believe 3 of the 4 rivets on my old ACT clutch broke off so they clutch was having trouble disengaging. super relieved that i didnt have to have to send out my tranny to have it rebuilt. the only thing that sucks was that i had to get a new clutch installed. no bueno. and for those that are curious on how many miles i had on the clutch it was about 75,000 miles old.

adotwhite
01-25-2013, 10:35 PM
got a lot of good miles out of that clutch for sureeeee

SoCal
01-25-2013, 10:53 PM
I was just gonna suggest a new clutch..I agree with Adot that's a grip of miles..glad it's running again with no rebuild.

dannieman
01-26-2013, 01:47 AM
lol the act clutch lasted longer than the stock clutch. i changed the stock clutch out at like 25k miles after it was slipping so bad i couldnt make it up my drive way. what was crazy was that the ACT clutch still had a good amount of material left. it was just the rivets that couldnt hold up.

amaev05
01-26-2013, 08:53 PM
i hate my act. i wish now i had bit the bullet on a good twin plate.