PDA

View Full Version : spun bearing?

toku-one
05-11-2012, 10:40 AM
ok, i know i cant really learn much via typing and i need to have it looked at...
but heres my question anyway:

obviously i know what ticking sounds like (i have kelfords/springs/retainers)
but on the way home last night it sounded like my car got an exhaust leak... only problem is, when i got home and checked, its coming from the head/exhaust manifold area.
so at idle, the ticking is probably 25% louder, and reving sounds like its an old vw bug.

other than the noise, it was driving fine, starts up fine, pulled it into the garage this morning fine.

only note is right before hand it did buck and then backfire, off the line at moderate to high acceleration.

Mike W
05-14-2012, 02:19 AM
Head and exhaust manifold area is exactly where you would get an exhaust leak. Stop by the shop and we'll give it a listen.

Spun bearing is a much deeper in the motor sound and would sound much louder free revving the motor. Not so much at idle or under load (at least when it first starts out). Later when a bearing gets bad enough to hear at idle it sounds like something is trying to get out of the motor.

Mike W

toku-one
05-14-2012, 09:38 AM
thanks mike!

im gonna try and get it towed down to you guys the first week of june.
ill call at the end of the month and get it all set up.

neuspeed
05-14-2012, 10:05 AM
Mike was able to easily diagnose on my car it was the Hot-side to 02 gasket...Saved me a heart attack =p