PDA

View Full Version : REVIEW: Motive Brake Bleeder

starjammer
05-27-2012, 10:58 PM
Hey Socalevo members: just wanted to give my personal review and insight on using the Motive pressurized Brake bleeder system.

First off, I have a 2011 Evo X GSR . This review will also apply to a 2004 evo as well (my Father's car). The reason I bought the motive kit was because I wanted to flush my system and replace it with high performance brake fluid. I plan on hitting the track soon with my car.

The kit comes with a pump, a specific application cap and a short clear drain tube. The three prong cap that comes with the kit is really a tough, tough mofo to get on the evo X rake fluid reservoir . The reservoir is at an angle which makes things more difficult. Removing the strut bar was a must for my experience. Once I got the motive cap on, I followed the brake bleeding order I found on previous post which starts with the passenger rear caliper, outside valve followed by the inside valve. Then the driver front caliper, outside then inside valve. Then the driver rear, then the passenger front.

I used ATE super blue brake fluid and it was easy to see the color change. I pressurized the system to about 15 psi. 10 psi was my original thought but it was taking way, way too much time. This is a slow process and it takes patience.

The end was the toughest part. Once I bled everything I had to unscrew the motive cap back off the reservoir. I released the pressure from the pump first through the main cap on the pump and proceeded to unscrew the reservoir cap. I tried to used my hand/ arm strength to twist it off and couldnt. I had my bother in law try. He cut his hand trying and he is a mechanic who works on cars regularly. He couldn't either. I tried to twist it off for 5 minutes with no luck. I finally had to use a monkey wrench to unscrew the Motive cap literally..

The evo 8 was basically a similar but easier experience. Alot easier to put the cap on, not requiring the removal of the strut bar, and a lot easier to take it off.

TIPS: Before you start, take out as much of the old fluid out of the reservoir with a syringe, fluid extractor (turkey baster?) and fill it back up with the new fluid before you start the process. It makes things faster. Less of the old fluid to run through the system.
Make sure to keep a clean environment including the tools you use and do not contaminate the fluid.
You don't have to buy a catch bottle. Instead use your drill to drill a whole into an empty water bottle top cap as a catch can.
The kit comes with a small drain tube to attach to the caliper valve, but its short and fits really really tight on the valve. I used a longer slightly thicker clear tube I had lying around which happend to fit and made things easier.
You don't have to take off the wheels and put you car on jacks ( even though I did on the evo X but Not the evo 8.) You can access the front valve of the caliper though the rim; if you get underneath the car and behind the wheel you can access the rear valve.

All in all it was a good learning do it yourself experience and saves you money. I would say if your going to track your car and going to need to bleed/flush your brake fluid, it's worth the initial investment.

Cheers O0

DTunedEvoX
05-28-2012, 12:58 PM
How much? And do you got pictures of the whole kit?

starjammer
05-28-2012, 08:31 PM
It was like $67 bones. From ebay shipped. I don't have pictures right now. If I get a chance I'll try to post some