PDA

View Full Version : Dissapearing 3rd gear on 6 speed trans

Blackened Sky
06-12-2012, 10:29 AM
So for some strange reason, my 3rd gear decided to crap out on me and is literally not there. When shifting into third, it feels like its going in but after engaging the clutch the motor just revs.

It started having issues a couple months ago when driving in the city at around 2500-3000rpm. I was gaining speed at half throttle and the transmission started chattering and the car jolted back and forth for 5 seconds then stopped. I tried to repeat the same action in third gear but it would not duplicate the problem.Â* This happened 4 times in the last couple months. The last time was getting on a highway and it chattered more violently and I kicked it into 4th right away. Next time I went into third, nothing was there...

This is the strange part. I had the tranny fluid drained and there was no shavings or chunks of metal inside. The selector forks are all in tact and everything is fine externally. Very strange.

I am sending my transmission to shepherd trans to look into it. I am confused on what is actually going on internally.

MinusPrevious
06-13-2012, 02:14 PM
Sounds like you already have a plan in place. Sounds like the synchro's are going out.

What about TRE vs Shepard? Never used either one (yet ;)

http://www.teamrip.com/

Mister
06-13-2012, 02:27 PM
Whats the mileage on the car?

Blackened Sky
06-16-2012, 11:11 AM
Yeah Shep was my top choice. They do great work from what I have heard. Worth the wait to send it there. I know my fifth gear synchro has gotten a little weak over the years but my other gears haven't taken much of a beating at all. I love my 6spd but always get the urge to track the evo with a 5spd.

I dont think just a bad synchro would cause my gear to not be grabbing at all. I was thinking some sort of pin got detached inside.

My car has around 80k

evo_jfa
06-26-2012, 09:41 AM
any news???

I'm kind to interested to know how is this going. shep reply, how much is going to cost the labor and Â*parts. etc :)

So if you can follow the post will be great