PDA

View Full Version : Grinding/Rubbing noise during Deceleration

4G63_EVO
07-19-2012, 04:45 PM
So I had this problem on my 2g Eclipse and now I notice it on my EVO 8. When decelerating above 3k RPM I heard a grinding/ rubbing noise what sounds like its coming from the engine bay. I got my car with warranty so I took it to them to check out, they currently have it. They dropped the tranny and found no problems... and are having trouble finding out what it is, a mechanic at work mentioned the CV joints and they will check that tomorrow, thought id see if anyone has heard anything regarding this problem. It goes away if accelerating and when the RPMs drop..

Mike W
07-19-2012, 05:35 PM
Some grrr-grrr-grrr noise is normal on decell with an AWD car. Especially if you have a clutch with stiffer springs in the hub or even more so with solid hub clutch disc. As the mileage piles on, everything in the driveline gets a little sloppier and the noise increases too. It is the pulsing of the 4 pistons pushing back on the freeplay and lash of every gear and flexible joint through out the entire car.

Noises are very subjective. A noise you might flip out over might sound normal to me since I hear a lot of car. Sometimes a car comes in for one thing and we'll go for a drive and be all "dude, what is up with that noise? How long has it been doing that?" And dude is all "What?" :-/

Then if some joe blow mechanic is digging into it he might miss a downpipe rubbing on a lower brace. This is impossible to diagnose over message board I think.

Mike W

4G63_EVO
07-19-2012, 05:53 PM
Some grrr-grrr-grrr noise is normal on decell with an AWD car. Especially if you have a clutch with stiffer springs in the hub or even more so with solid hub clutch disc. As the mileage piles on, everything in the driveline gets a little sloppier and the noise increases too. It is the pulsing of the 4 pistons pushing back on the freeplay and lash of every gear and flexible joint through out the entire car.

Noises are very subjective. A noise you might flip out over might sound normal to me since I hear a lot of car. Sometimes a car comes in for one thing and we'll go for a drive and be all "dude, what is up with that noise? How long has it been doing that?" And dude is all "What?" :-/

Then if some joe blow mechanic is digging into it he might miss a downpipe rubbing on a lower brace. This is impossible to diagnose over message board I think.

Mike W

Very very true, After he checks that tomorrow if it isnt the problem, I talked to Mike at RRE while I was at MOD and he said I could take it buy for them to checkout, I think ill do that he also said it could be normal..