PDA

View Full Version : Feedback on X trannies

allturbo
08-11-2012, 02:39 PM
I've been looking at getting an Evo X soon and since I ultimately would go to your shop for work, I wanted to get your opinion on the potential problems and available solutions for the X trannies. Maybe some of the problems might be over exaggerated, but from what I gather, the 5-speeds have a design flaw with the diff pins (material and oiling, fixed in 2010+ models??) and a weak plastic clutch master cylinder. If I went with an MR, I've read some horror stories of them crapping out without much abuse (TCU failures?). In any case, if the MR tranny takes a dump, replacing it is obviously expensive.

Have you guys seen a decent amount of failures with 5-speeds and SST trannies and also have fixes for them? Just wanted your feedback before I decide which model to get. I currently have a IX GSR with 90k miles and its been flawless since day one. The issues I've read with the X kind of worry me and have prevented me from pulling the trigger.

Killmode
08-11-2012, 02:56 PM
These are the strongest tannys that Mitsubishi has made yet. Ive launched my car over 150 times and my diff pins, T-case, and stock master cylinder are fine.

AlphaKennyBody
08-11-2012, 03:02 PM
I'd Keep the IX over an X but that's just me..... Getting rid of a car that was only made in 1 years vs a car that is still being sold is crazy talk for me....

But as far as issues go, it's not the trans on the GSR you have to worry about... it's the Transfer cases. But with what I've experience first hand, you really would have to drive REALLY aggressive banging gears like it's a honda while having a upgraded clutch to destroy the TC. The CMC tends to go out over the years which is usually due to an upgraded clutch. Unfortunately, there is no warranty on it or rebuild kits for blown TC's..... I know you can UPGRADE the diff pins on Older X's but the new X should come ready to roll. Newer X's come with a thicker timing chain and upgraded diff pin.

The MR trans usually gets covered by warranty with no issues yet some has run into a case of not passing warranty... No Clue. The SST is just like any other Clutch, once you make a certain amount of power you'll need to upgrade the clutches in the trans for it to lay down more power to the ground.

From reports, the SST tends to fail on people who granny their cars/trans. The ones who tend to rape the car or drive very aggressively with it seem to never have issues..... SoCalEvo isn't going to be the great resource for your question so be sure to go through threads in EvoM.

Mike W
08-11-2012, 04:13 PM
Nothing has been upgraded on any X that I know of since they came out in 2008. As far as Mitsubishi is concerned if you leave them stock and dont drive like a teenager they are fine.

The center diff cross shaft only fails on people that are launching their car. If you want to launch at all, you need to upgrade that.

The clutch master cylinder is only as strong as the idiot that superglues them together did his job that day. If yours got glued together when he was having a bad day, it will come unglued on your stock clutch. If yours got glued together half way good, it will only pop apart on an upgraded clutch. If dude was having a good day then it will hold together on an upgraded clutch. This is why you get varied stories from all over the internet.

If you are brave and/or poor, take your chances on the stock master cylinder. If you are rich and/or paranoid then we use the Magnus EVO 9 master cylinder kit. It adds about $650 to the price of a clutch job.

Going with the SST over the GSR is for people that spend their time sitting in traffic and dont have big HP plans. The MR is for people that will be happy with 320 whp for the most part. If you respect the transmission, keep the fluid cool and keep the torque in check, you can really enjoy the car and still have your warranty.

Transfer case warranty failures are rare but a pain in the ass. Usually if yours is going out from poor assembly it will do it by 5k miles or so.

Mike W

GokuSSJ4
08-11-2012, 04:19 PM
A big factor has a lot to do how aggressive the driver happens to be.
I never had any tranny, clutch issues with any of my evos.
N I have Owned a good amount
03, 05, 06 and now 11 X. Â*
I would honestly contact [email protected]
And see what alternatives they offer for upgrades on what ever model you desire.

Killmode
08-11-2012, 07:01 PM
Again, I beat the piss out of my car everyday. That's just me and my car takes it. Remeber, every car is different, but you'll never know if the car can take it, unless you try. ;)

blkside
08-11-2012, 07:29 PM
I make a shit ton of power and beat the crap out of my car. I have upgraded clutch,CMC and all the things that should destroy a car and it's still full tilt. Why do so many people spend so much time listening to other peoples issues. Anyone ever think that all these failures are at the hands of morons for drivers.

allturbo
08-11-2012, 11:10 PM
I actually stopped by HB Mitsu today to check out an MR with the premium package, beautiful car.Â* Didn't buy anything yet though...

@Killmode yeah Jack transmissions said the same thing, that overall the 5-speed is really strong.Â* The diff pin issue seems to be well documented however.Â* Buscher, Shep, Jack and even some European engineer have come out with fixes which is good.Â* Check out the following links.
http://www.jackstransmissions.com/pages/evox-review
http://forums.evolutionm.net/evo-x-engine-turbo-drivetrain/486197-center-diff-pins-7.html

@AlphaKennyBody definately keeping the IX, just looking for a X to add to my growing stable of Mitsus (97 GST, 06 GSR)Â* ;)

@Mike thanks for the clarification.Â* I was mostly concerned with the diff shaft being an issue, but seeing as I don't really launch my car it looks like I should be fine.Â* My power goals are relatively modest too so the MR wouldn't be a bad option either.

@blkside yeah its kind of hard to weed out good information from bad.Â* That's why I posted here knowing Mike usually tells it straightÂ* O0

Anyway thanks for all the responses!

blkside
08-11-2012, 11:17 PM
Look at the info with issues with the pin and other related issues... They all seem to be drag race heavy... I road course so maybe that's why I'm still in 1 piece...

theinnereffect
08-12-2012, 12:46 PM
The center diff cross shaft only fails on people that are launching their car. If you want to launch at all, you need to upgrade that.

Mike W

What would this cost mike? I've been wanting to get out to irwindale but I've read on so many different places that the x doesn't like the launching

blkside
08-12-2012, 04:49 PM
Launch it till it breaks

theinnereffect
08-12-2012, 05:40 PM
lol breaking my DD is no good

Mike W
08-13-2012, 02:07 PM
You would want to do it when the transmission is already out for maximum value. If the trans is already out, then it is about $250 labor to open the transmission case and install the cross shaft kit. Then reseal the transmission.

Mike W

theinnereffect
08-13-2012, 02:18 PM
Sounds like ill be doing this when my clutch dies and you guys do my clutch swap, thanks!

itsoem
08-13-2012, 02:28 PM
I've owned several Ev's... owned a IX and an 08 MR with basic bolt ons and put about 75K miles on it and never had an issue with it.... Â*I currently have an GR 11 putting 350WHIP and the wife has an MR 11 putting down around 320WHIP and we have never had any issues with neither of our tyranny's... Â*Then again we don't drive like teenagers... Â* Â*Like others said, stop listening to stories and actually talk to owners who are actually putting down big numbers like Tim (BACKSIDE) or reputable shops such as REE, TY, GIST...
You'll get a lot of incorrect info from people that have never owned an EV X in their life!!!! Â*You need to make it a point to get info from actual EV X owners...

Good luck on your purchase, you'll love the finesse of the EV X

AlphaKennyBody
08-13-2012, 03:22 PM
^ Comments like that is why people feel that X owners are douches..... It's an Evo X not some Ferrari... It's still a damn Evo. Your comments reflect that if you dont own a X then comments are valid.

Anyways, There are many cases where depending on GSR or MR will show leads to stress in the trans. Usually like heard/read, you'll find broken TC's from OVERLY abusive aggressive driving.

Most people with upgraded clutches in their X tend to brake stuff due to banging gears. You dont need to OWN a X to know that. I've personally experienced a Stock X break their TC due to aggressive driving and a strong clutch. Is my comment not valid since I dont personally own a GSR? I own a SST trans and have been there done that with the SST.

There any a few people who have been around the block with Evo X with rebuilds or tuning.... Are their comments not valid?

OP, Both are great models.... it all comes down to what you like in the end.... If your dd'ing the car you'll be fine with either.

itsoem
08-13-2012, 03:32 PM
^^no need to get your panties up in a bunch Ralph.. It's just common sense if your banging and overly aggressive on any tranny it's prone to give. And as far as feed back IMO I rather get feed back from an actual X owner.. Never said your feed back wasn't valid bro.. Now u wanna go as far as refer to me as douch.. Chill the fuck out homie lol...

AlphaKennyBody
08-13-2012, 03:37 PM
LOL.... just saying it was a douchy comment lol

But I can see where your coming from but in the end it's not the owner that knows better, it's the experience. O0

Mike W
08-13-2012, 03:38 PM
Every time I see the title of this thread I already just thought of someone asking for cross dressing advice. And then along comes the advice about not getting panties in a bunch.

Mike W

itsoem
08-13-2012, 03:43 PM
LOL.... just saying it was a douchy comment lol

But I can see where your coming from but in the end it's not the owner that knows better, it's the experience. O0

It's all good Ralphy..

blkside
08-13-2012, 10:40 PM
I dont like the SST.. Ive driven them harder than most that own them. Ive raced the RRE Shop car with over 400WHP and I loved it, but its not my cup of tea and I am pretty sure I can get the SST to fail before the 5 speed.

If its a DD get the SST cause you will love it in traffic. Its ok to drive an automatic, doesnt make you less of a man (cough cough)....

If you are gonna legitimately beat the shit out of your car (only about 5% of the people on this board actually does - the rest just drive shitty - sorry to those offended cause I dont give a fuck what you think) then you want the 5 speed.. If you have to be gentle to it, then its not meant to be beat on..

Its my opinion so take it for whats it worth...

stormbird
08-16-2012, 12:08 PM
Wow, its so funny how all the DSM, Evo 8&9 and Evo X guys all ask the same question about "Is launching bad?".

Great fun, but you'll break something eventually.

I haven't driven an X MR, but did drive a Ralliart and was super impressed with the SST. Really smart tranny. I would've been happy getting one of the SE cars I think, but Sam's price on the GSR was too good! If not abused those wet-clutches should last a looooong time too I'd think.

jamesinger
08-16-2012, 04:04 PM
http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x140/thehillcrestapts/Funny%20Shit/I-Sense-Butthurt-75000244666.jpg

evobros
08-16-2012, 04:26 PM
Every time I see the title of this thread I already just thought of someone asking for cross dressing advice. And then along comes the advice about not getting panties in a bunch.

Mike W

LMAO!!!!