PDA

View Full Version : Brake Pads Recomendation

Evo-RN
08-15-2012, 09:04 AM
2010 Evo X SE

My OEM pads (front and rear) is near its end after a few autocross and track days. I love the OEM pad, its able to handle any braking situation without problems.

I am looking for an aftermarket brake pads that can offer the same performance for daily driving and occasional track day. I don't intend on breaking any track record anytime soon, so I don't need full on race pads. I don't mind the brake dust at all.

For those of you who daily driven their EVO and track it occasionally in the weekend. What pads do you guys recommend, and why?

**I will resurface all my rotor when i install the new brake pads

Thanks

Azian
08-15-2012, 09:12 AM
Stoptech street pads :) They're very similar to stock pads but a tad bit better O0

theinnereffect
08-15-2012, 10:04 AM
+1 on the stoptechs I absolutely love them, perfect for dd and some spirited driving mixed in

evolved13
08-15-2012, 10:27 AM
+2 RRE recommended and installed-----they work great (StopTech street pads)....

Evo-RN
08-26-2012, 07:30 AM
For all of you guys that recommended this pad. You have also used it on the track?

Azian
08-26-2012, 10:25 AM
For all of you guys that recommended this pad. You have also used it on the track?
Yes, light track only.

phillies23
08-26-2012, 10:52 AM
Stop tech along with stainless steel break lines from RRE

BoostFrenzy
08-30-2012, 09:07 AM
Stop tech along with stainless steel break lines from RRE

^^Getting the lines next.

I also run the StopTech pads. They are a very good all around pad. If you are a seasoned track guy though, go for something stronger.

Mike W
08-30-2012, 07:10 PM
For anything more than the Stoptech pad you would want to swap in track pads for the track weekend. If you respect them on the track and are not trying to win a time attack they work great. They are an excellent agressive street pad that can also be tracked on. But the next step is a not prefect track pad that is noisy and dirty on the street and wears the rotors a lot. Endless has some pads that kick ass on the track but dont suck on the street too bad. But they cost 4 times as much as Stoptech pads. For value, streetability and still an ok track pad for an average guy, Stoptech hits it perfect.

Mike W

Evo-RN
09-02-2012, 03:38 PM
Thanks for all the feedback guys. Did you guys also resurface your rotor too when you swap to the StopTech street pad? Do I need to?

Azian
09-02-2012, 04:02 PM
Thanks for all the feedback guys. Did you guys also resurface your rotor too when you swap to the StopTech street pad? Do I need to?
Depends on the condition of the rotors, I would slap them on as long as there isn't a good lip on the rotor.

Mike W
09-02-2012, 04:32 PM
If a _chance_ of a squeak is the end of the world, then you must resurface the rotors. The cool kids just slap in pads and rock it. Tire and brake shops force you to resurface the rotors so they dont have to listen to the customers squeal later. We'll read you your rights and let you decide. We do whatever you pay us to do :-)

Mike W

Evo-RN
09-02-2012, 04:59 PM
haha. Well, i'm the nerd that need to do things the right way. Because my life is depending on the brake to work. I don't mind the noise. But I do mind the steering wheel vibration when i step on the brake or the pads is not working at its best because the brake and rotor are not properly bedded.

From the above statement, do I need to resurface my rotor?

evolved13
09-02-2012, 07:05 PM
I would slap in the pads knowing that RRE (Mike W.) will not let the car leave the shop in an unsafe condition-best of both worlds. Just know you will be getting "world class racer" treatment.....

Mike W
09-02-2012, 07:30 PM
You can properly bed the pads and improperly bed the pads with unresurfaced rotors and with resurfaced rotors.

Brake pad beddign in information:
http://stoptech.com/technical-support/technical-white-papers/bed-in-theory-definitions-and-procedures

Center of the universe for good brake info:
http://stoptech.com/technical-support/technical-white-papers

Mike W

Evo-RN
09-10-2012, 04:23 PM
Thanks a lot everyone. I just installed the stop-tech street performance with Girodisc titanium heat shield shimmy. I followed the brake pad bed-in procedure from their website. So far everything is GREAT! the pedal feels firmer and the braking is very linear. I felt it was a great and right purchase for my needs.

So far no noise or steering wheel vibration during braking. I also did not resurface my rotors. I just clean it with brake cleaner really well before I started the bed-in procedure.

Mike W
09-10-2012, 04:45 PM
Ummmm.... COOL!

Mike W

gas
09-25-2012, 09:28 AM
ebs yellow stuff are pretty awesome

icyshark
01-17-2013, 07:13 PM
How come our brakepads make squeaky noise? Is this normal? I have a 2013 GSR and I get tons of squeaks. It usually squeaks when I apply them lightly under 10MPH or so. When reversing or parking.

It is embarassing for a new car to have squeaky brakes. Any advice to fix this?

AlphaKennyBody
01-17-2013, 07:51 PM
How come our brakepads make squeaky noise? Is this normal? I have a 2013 GSR and I get tons of squeaks. It usually squeaks when I apply them lightly under 10MPH or so. When reversing or parking.

It is embarassing for a new car to have squeaky brakes. Any advice to fix this?

Seriously.... Because Race Car O0

ericroan
02-01-2013, 05:31 PM
my oem pads almost done too, not sure what to get

Mike W
02-01-2013, 05:35 PM
my oem pads almost done too, not sure what to get

In stock here @ RRE:

Centric Posi-Quiet Brake Pads

Posi-Quiet brake pads provide outstanding wear characteristics at a high friction level. The friction performance remains stable across wide temperature range. Posi-Quiet pads are about a dust free as a performance pad can be. Good all around street pad that will deal well with spirited driving.

http://www.roadraceengineering.com/parts/stoptech/semimetgraph.jpg

http://www.roadraceengineering.com/parts/centric/cent-posiq-features.jpg

Extraordinary wear and fade resistance means superior braking performance for all driving styles.
Posi Quiet friction formulas create less dust keeping wheels cleaner.
All Posi Quiet friction formulas are 100% asbestos-free.
Highest quality OE-designed shims reduce vibration ensuring noise-free braking.
All Posi Quiet brake pads feature a positive molding process that eliminates any impurities in the friction compound.Â* This provides a more stable friction consistency and ensures a more consistent pedal feel and better braking performance.

$55 Front
$45 Rear

StopTech Street Performance Brake Pads

StopTech Street Performance brake Pads are engineered to meet the demands of high performance driving while maintaining the refinement and comfort expected in everyday driving conditions. StopTech brake pads combine the benefits of premium street brake pads with aggressive friction formulas suitable for light track day and autocross use. Para-aramid composites are specially formulated to provide linear response at both cold and hot temperatures, delivering optimum stopping performance over a wide range of driving conditions.

http://www.roadraceengineering.com/parts/stoptech/streetperfgraph.jpg

http://www.roadraceengineering.com/parts/stoptech/200/stop-pads-evo-front-box.JPG

$75 front
$65 Rear

Mike W

ufcgsp27
04-08-2013, 08:46 PM
look into girodisc magic pads.

Crom
07-21-2013, 12:49 AM
Et-500's low dust, no noise, good stop