PDA

View Full Version : Clutch grinding noise when decelerating (2004 Evo 8 with 85K miles)

pjs4x
08-29-2012, 07:50 PM
I have been driving my Evo a lot more lately because of work and noticed that when I decelerate in 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th that there is a grinding noise coming from the clutch or transmission. The noise stops when I push in the clutch and there is noise when I am accelerating. Does anyone else have this problem? If so, what is it and how do I fix it?

Thanks for your help.

pjs4x
08-29-2012, 07:55 PM
forgot to mention, my car is stock

Massimo Power
08-29-2012, 08:37 PM
It would be best to take it to a shop and have someone listen to it instead of getting 300 wrong answers. Alot of shops will check it out for free if you just stop by.. ;-)

evolution8mirage
08-29-2012, 08:47 PM
It would be best to take it to a shop and have someone listen to it instead of getting 300 wrong answers. Alot of shops will check it out for free if you just stop by.. ;-)

This ^^^^

just have them upgrade your clutch to an ACT (^_^) LOL

Mike W
08-29-2012, 08:48 PM
So Cal EVO still has no way for people to easily tell who the local trusted shops are :-P

Mike W

jamesinger
08-29-2012, 11:11 PM

So Cal EVO still has no way for people to easily tell who the local trusted shops are :-P

Mike W

THEREFORE, tell us where you are, and then we can lead you to the closest reputable shop.

...or ask the peanut gallery and watch everyone tell you who their favorite shop is...

pjs4x
08-30-2012, 08:23 AM
I'm located in the orange county/la county area. Thanks

pjs4x
08-30-2012, 11:46 AM
If I need a new clutch, how much should I expect to pay for a new stock clutch plus install? What about an ACT clutch with install? Thanks in advance.

Azian
08-30-2012, 11:55 AM
If I need a new clutch, how much should I expect to pay for a new stock clutch plus install?Â* What about an ACT clutch with install? Thanks in advance.
If prices haven't gone up, right around $1k for a stock clutch job, and $1200 or so for an ACT. If you get a clutch job, I suggest you get the flywheel re-surfaced/replaced if little noises bug you.

jamesinger
08-31-2012, 02:52 AM
If you are in the OC/LA area, just go to RRE. They have a forum section on here with current clutch prices. There is also this weird guy who rides a unicycle named Mike W. He likes getting phone calls about stuff like this at all hours.
Good luck!!

4G63_EVO
08-31-2012, 11:21 AM
I have the same exact problem! Had the same problem on my Eclipse also! I really dont think its the clutch, the place where I bought the car gave me a warranty so I had them open the tranny to find the problem. They opened the tranny and said everything looks great, including my clutch. I think it may be the throwout bearing but im not sure. I really need to get down to road race and have them take a listen, just haven't had the time..

Mike W
09-01-2012, 01:48 PM
A grrr-grrr-grrr noise on decell is normal on an AWD car. The older it gets and the more play you have in all the gears and driveshaft joints and axles you have the more pronounced it gets. When you are in decell the pistons are pulsing back against the wheels slowing the car. You are hearing that. A stiffer sprung clutch hub will isolate the noise less between the motor and the drivetrain. A solid unsprung clutch disc will make it super loud.

What you are hearing might be totally normal for your mileage and clutch.

Mike W

4G63_EVO
09-01-2012, 02:56 PM
A grrr-grrr-grrr noise on decell is normal on an AWD car. The older it gets and the more play you have in all the gears and driveshaft joints and axles you have the more pronounced it gets. When you are in decell the pistons are pulsing back against the wheels slowing the car. You are hearing that. A stiffer sprung clutch hub will isolate the noise less between the motor and the drivetrain. A solid unsprung clutch disc will make it super loud.

What you are hearing might be totally normal for your mileage and clutch.

Mike W

Mine at times ever sounds like a scraping kind of noise

pjs4x
09-01-2012, 06:20 PM
I took it to a shop and was told that I need a new clutch and resurfaced flywheel. I am also having the shop replace the front rotors and brake pads.

4G63_EVO: Mine was also a scraping/grinding noise.

4G63_EVO
09-01-2012, 06:21 PM
They said my clutch was fine so lemme know how that goes

Mike W
09-01-2012, 06:30 PM
I took it to a shop and was told that I need a new clutch and resurfaced flywheel. I am also having the shop replace the front rotors and brake pads.

4G63_EVO: Mine was also a scraping/grinding noise.

A shop.

Do you know what kind of shop?

Well maybe someone else learned from the good answers here.

Mike W

luis!
09-01-2012, 06:44 PM
A shop.

Do you know what kind of shop?

Well maybe someone else learned from the good answers here.

Mike W

:2funny:

4G63_EVO
09-02-2012, 12:01 AM
I'm not letting anyone do anything till I get an opinion from road race. OP I suggest you do the same

Mike W
09-02-2012, 12:14 PM
Found out the plain old whatever "a shop" the OP went to is Muellerized. He'll be fine.

Mike W

pjs4x
09-03-2012, 02:56 PM
Yah, sorry for the late reply. Went to Muellerized as they came as a recommendation from a friend. They test drove my car and told me what I need. Will keep everyone updated. Thanks for all your help.