PDA

View Full Version : Will a transfer case going bad cause the car to slow down?

JTorres07
09-05-2012, 02:18 PM
My transfer case is whinning like crazy and just gets worse and worse i was wondering is it just my imagination or is the car actually slowing down? cuz it seems alot slower now... and if anyone knows anyone w a transfer case i need one asap

4G63 FEVER
09-05-2012, 02:31 PM
Yep eventually you will go nowhere after it locks up. Then stuff gets real expensive.

JTorres07
09-05-2012, 02:46 PM
Probably not a good idea to drive it then lol well thanks for the help because some people say it wont harm anything. and it wont slow it down.. but it makes no sense cuz im boosting more then ever and just keep going slower so its gotta be slowing me down

Mike W
09-05-2012, 02:54 PM
Well it wont make the car faster :-)

If it actually wore to the point where it was slowing the car down, which it could, then imminent massive failure is likely. If a guy puts the wrong fluid in there for some reason and then caught it right away... or if it had a build problem that manifested its self slowly after 5k miles, then putting some fresh correct fluid in there could buy a lot of time but still have some whining issues.

It all comes down to degree of wear and noise and that is nothing that you'll be able to effectively convey here to the peanut gallery for a quality answer.

Mike W

JTorres07
09-05-2012, 03:33 PM
Yah its terrible now i can hear it over the radio when its pretty much all the way up its just getting worse and worse i really hope thats whats slowing the car down -_- lol if its not idk what is

stormbird
09-08-2012, 07:46 PM
What are you doing driving it? A frozen t-case is really bad when you're cruising down the freeway with your lady. There was a recall on DSM's back in the day due to bad seals that leaked out all the fluid. Caused a few accidents, nothing to fool around with.